PDA

View Full Version : Probably a silly question about lube

Kitika
03-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Well I've got a big CAS shoot coming up in a month or so and I don't really have the time or any lead to cast projies. So i've bought some .427 hard cast moly coated projectiles and was thinking about using them in my .44/40 yellowboy with a full case of the holy black. What would the chances be of running them without lube and not having any serious consequences? I am planning on wiping the barrel after every sequence 10 shots or so.

Nobade
03-22-2013, 08:02 AM
It will probably make you say a lot of bad words.

Can you melt out the hard lube and replace it with something more appropriate? If not, maybe a lubed felt wad under the boolits would help.

-Nobade

cajun shooter
03-22-2013, 10:30 AM
You are headed towards an early day back home if you do as you stated.
You did not say what brand of rifle you have and that will tell a lot about your rifle. Some of the later makers of the 66 and 73 rifles chose to make them with barrels that will fire the standard 44 mag bullets at .431-.432. The correct size is .4265-.4270.
The hard cast bullets that are moly coated will give you a huge mess in your barrel.
The moly may be removed by tumbling the bullets with a rotary type tumbler and the SS pins with Dawn/Oxy and a teaspoon of Lemi-Shine. You add just enough pins to cover the bullets and then water to about 1/2 inch over the top of both.
A hard bullet will open to fill the bore but not as much as you may need. You can't tell without slugging your bore.
I see that you are in Aussie land and your best bet maybe to use what you have but load with smokeless as much as I hate to even think of such foul things. It's that or find a source after slugging for some 20-1 lead bullets that are lubed in the correct size for your bore.
I have a Uberti 1873 short rifle with a .427 bore. I cast and shoot .429 bullets with either NASA lube or my own mix for BP use. Very accurate and my rifle may go up to five days with out cleaning when I use my KIK powder or Swiss.

waksupi
03-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Carburetor cleaner may remove the moly.

Kitika
03-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Cheers for the info fellas. So If I remove the moly and lube them with my normal lube you reckon it'll work out? My rifle is an older Uberti going by the serial number and I normally use the big lube 200gr proji sized at .429 in soft lead and it works quite well in my rifle with either smokeless or bp.
I'll have a real hard look to see if there is any lead or I might have to go scavenge some from the range as it seems like a better option.