PDA

View Full Version : Lyman O-mag press

Alvarez Kelly
03-22-2013, 12:51 AM
A winner has been selected. Her name is Nora. She is a single mom, working two jobs to support her daughter. Her brother got her into shooting, but neither reloads. She has a 40 S&W that she can't afford to feed. KCcactus, one of our own, nominated her and is her reloading mentor. He is helping her with dies and even some components. He (KCcactus) does not have any .40 molds, or brass for that matter. Maybe some of the rest of the board members could help in that area. I would suggest you PM him (KCcactus) directly.

One more word please. There were a lot of deserving nominations. It was hard to choose the "winner." One way I narrowed the field was eliminating all who didn't follow the very simple nomination format I requested; "PM me nominations (with a little back story) using the same title as this post." It may sound harsh, but sometimes details matter, especially when there is one "widget" or job... and LOTS of applicants... Off my soap box.

Thanks everyone! The press will be at UPS tomorrow.

KCcactus, PLEASE update us with how she is doing. :-)

Original post follows:

I will give a nice, lightly used Lyman "O-mag" single stage press to:

1. A new reloader who has a mentor on his forum.

2. A member who lost their own equipment through theft or some kind of disaster.

You may nominate yourself, or any member may nominate someone else.

I don't want this to drag on, so hopefully I can send this press to a new owner in a week or so.

PM me nominations (with a little back story) using the same title as this post.

Sorry, I won't pay the freight to ship this to Alaska or Hawaii. It won't fit in a flat rate box. :-)

Let's see if this will work.

AK

Sweetpea
03-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Very nice, sir!

P.K.
03-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Very generous!

Alvarez Kelly
03-22-2013, 08:48 PM
No one is deserving of a free press?

plmitch
03-22-2013, 08:54 PM
It would be nice to see a kid get this.

ratboy
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
i know of no one who wishes to be taught.

:(

BrassMagnet
03-22-2013, 09:04 PM
No one is deserving of a free press?

I'm not getting much activity, either. 45nut needs to put a banner up on the site to let everyone know about this nice, new, neat area on our forum!

jeepyj
03-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Nicely done, I'm sure the right young candidate will come along
Jeepyj

scarry scarney
03-22-2013, 09:08 PM
PM sent

Alvarez Kelly
03-22-2013, 09:15 PM
I cross posted on Swappin and Sellin and now I have gotten a few responses. To be fair to everyone, I will wait until Monday to read all the nominations and make a decision.

So... nominations are still open! Send 'em in!

Walt
03-22-2013, 09:16 PM
I will give a nice, lightly used Lyman "O-mag" single stage press to:

1. A new reloader who has a mentor on his forum.

2. A member who lost their own equipment through theft or some kind of disaster.

You may nominate yourself, or any member may nominate someone else.

I don't want this to drag on, so hopefully I can send this press to a new owner in a week or so.

PM me nominations (with a little back story) using the same title as this post.

Sorry, I won't pay the freight to ship this to Alaska or Hawaii. It won't fit in a flat rate box. :-)

Let's see if this will work.

AK

AK,
My son-in-law and I built a little bench in his garage about a month ago. I have loaned an old single stage, dies, scale, etc. to him. He's doing OK with some 9mm loads now. He could put the Lyman to good use if he meets the requirements. Thanks for your consideration. Walt

mikeyd23
03-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Not sure if it qualifies but my 12 year old daughter (was blessed with 3 girls, but no boys) has worked her way up from pulling bullets to sizing and decapping bullets and wants to " be like daddy and make her own bullets for her gun" (although it is a .22). She set up her own desk with bins "like daddys bench" She is truly committed to reloading and I was looking at getting her own press to continue to learn on. Not quite a mentor on this site but a great father daughter experience.

KCcactus
03-22-2013, 11:23 PM
PM sent to nominate a friend.

khmer6
03-23-2013, 12:22 AM
Hahahaha my 3 yr old loves helping me. Been helping out the old man since he was a baby. Seating a boolit is his favorite :)

vogironface
03-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Not sure if it qualifies but my 12 year old daughter (was blessed with 3 girls, but no boys) has worked her way up from pulling bullets to sizing and decapping bullets and wants to " be like daddy and make her own bullets for her gun" (although it is a .22). She set up her own desk with bins "like daddys bench" She is truly committed to reloading and I was looking at getting her own press to continue to learn on. Not quite a mentor on this site but a great father daughter experience.

Mike,
You and I are in the same boat my friend. Sometimes I feel like a lone island of emotional stability awash in a sea of estrogen. They have been the greatest blessing of my life and I would not have it any other way. My girls get a kick out of helping as well. of the two littlest one will load the press with brass while the other dutifully pulls each loaded cartridge from the bin and organizes them in the boxes. Reminds me of a video I saw on youtube once titles something like "my home made brass feeder". The vid showed him pulling the lever and his youngin loading up brass.

elginrunner
03-23-2013, 01:30 AM
I cant think of anyone but kudos to you sir for your efforts

jonp
03-23-2013, 04:59 AM
I just started really reloading a few month's ago and am using a lee single hand press. I could use that press but can afford my own when I get ready to buy. Very nice of you to be doing this.

FLHTC
03-23-2013, 05:21 AM
I know a coworker who is struggling with financial issues but would love to reload. Im in the process of helping him any way i can. Id live to get this for him

sdalcher
03-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Very good of you indeed!

dagunnut
03-23-2013, 03:43 PM
PM sent, and Thank You for your gracious offering!

Mario
dagunnut

Swamp Man
03-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Very generous offer.

nightal
03-25-2013, 07:40 PM
PM sent. Thank you Sir.

Alvarez Kelly
03-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Duplicate of updated post #1

A winner has been selected. Her name is Nora. She is a single mom, working two jobs to support her daughter. Her brother got her into shooting, but neither reloads. She has a 40 S&W that she can't afford to feed. KCcactus, one of our own, nominated her and is her reloading mentor. He is helping her with dies and even some components. He (KCcactus) does not have any .40 molds, or brass for that matter. Maybe some of the rest of the board members could help in that area. I would suggest you PM him (KCcactus) directly.

One more word please. There were a lot of deserving nominations. It was hard to choose the "winner." One way I narrowed the field was eliminating all who didn't follow the very simple nomination format I requested; "PM me nominations (with a little back story) using the same title as this post." It may sound harsh, but sometimes details matter, especially when there is one "widget" or job... and LOTS of applicants... Off my soap box.

Thanks everyone! The press will be at UPS tomorrow.

KCcactus, PLEASE update us with how she is doing.

Gliden07
03-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Awesome gesture!! Wish when I started this a year or so ago I just had the mentor part of the equation! I am not complaining though, I read a lot (and still do), learned a lot and thanks to many patient and knowledgeable people on this site have been able to load safe money saving Ammo. I hope I will be able to help others as much as I've been helped someday!!

NewbieDave007
03-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Sent PM to KCcatus about sending a small flat rate box of 40 S&W range brass.

FLHTC
03-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Congratulations Nora!

P.K.
03-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Congrats!

NewbieDave007
03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Sent PM to KCcatus about sending a small flat rate box of 40 S&W range brass.

The SFRB of 40 S&W is packaged, shipping paid and waiting for the mailman to pick up. Congrats Nora!

Lizard333
03-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm willing to send her some of my 170 SWC from my RCBS mold. Lubed with carnuba red and sized to 401. Send me her address and she will be set on cast.

mikeyd23
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Very Nice gesture and congrats to the winner, if I had any .40 brass this is where it would be going. Thanks again for the contest.

KCcactus
03-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Update time!!! Nora's reloading kit will be complete when all the packages arrive.

The press is on it's way. Some boxes of brass are on the way, too thanks to other members. Another member is sending some boolits. I just ordered a carbide die set from a member to add to the kit. I'm including a Lee auto disk measure, primers, powder and a reloading tray. I'm also loaning her a scale.

I told her about this when I found out Monday afternoon. She is excited about getting started reloading.

I want to thank everyone here for their generosity and support. This is my first opportunity to help someone get started in our addictive hobby. It's already been an incredible experience.

Kevin

More updates to follow ...

KCcactus
08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
It took a while, but we finally had a reloading lesson on Saturday. I set up each step and she made 50. Then, she set up each step and did 10 more. She has the press, dies, powder measure, loading block, a borrowed scale and loading data printed from the powder company websites. She also has a coupon for a discount on the Lee loading manual. I made an OAL gauge for her to use until she can get some calipers. She has lots of brass and boolits left, 300+ primers and about a half pound of powder.

When she finished, she looked a little amazed that she had actually made a box of ammo.

Thank you everyone for your generous help!!

NewbieDave007
08-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the update.