PDA

View Full Version : Sizer Die Problem

alamogunr
03-22-2013, 12:13 AM
I have a bunch of .45-200 gr SWC cast and set up to size and lube them. I have a .452 size die that was in a used Lyman 450 that I bought several years ago on ebay. It works fine except lube squeezes up under the boolet base. Not much, just enough to adhere to the base and cause it to stick. I'm guessing that the ejector or the die or both are worn slightly and allowing lube to squeeze up.

Anyone have a different explanation?

uscra112
03-22-2013, 01:28 AM
Is your sizer's depth stop set up so the boolit is deep enough in the sizer bore? If it's not, the lube is coming in from the sides. You might also have to block some of the feed holes of there's too many for the length of your boolit.

If that's all copacetic, then a new bottom punch a thou or two larger is in order.

41 mag fan
03-22-2013, 08:55 AM
too much pressure on your reservoir will cause that to happen

alamogunr
03-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Is your sizer's depth stop set up so the boolit is deep enough in the sizer bore? If it's not, the lube is coming in from the sides. You might also have to block some of the feed holes of there's too many for the length of your boolit.

If that's all copacetic, then a new bottom punch a thou or two larger is in order.

The die has two sets of holes. If I go too deep, I get lube on the nose above the top drive band. Four little dollops that is inconvenient to wipe off. I planned to block those holes when I figured out how. Everyone recommends lead shot. I don't reload for shotgun so I don't have any shot.

too much pressure on your reservoir will cause that to happen

If I don't turn the pressure screw just a little on each boolet, I don't get full lube grooves. If I turn too much, It does squeeze out around the punch. These .45 cal. boolets take more lube than a .30 cal w/ 2-3 grooves. At least it seems like it.

I guess it is obvious, I'm new to lubing in a sizer. I usually tumble lube my handgun boolets but decided to try the sizer.

gwpercle
03-22-2013, 05:29 PM
You haven't found the sweet spot yet. Adjust the depth stop so the top 2 holes are even with the boolit's lube groove, not above not below. Put the bullet in die, no pressure on lube and run it down to bottom and hold the handle down, lightly, so no lube can get under , Squeeze just a tiny amount on the pressure handle ,just enough to fill the groove. If the groove is not filled completely turn the bullet so the empty space faces the hole and relube. I will even back off the pressure when I eject the boolit to avoid lube on base I have a 450 and it's a fine line between filled groove and too much pressure which forces lube on base. Big learning curve. Turning the bullet so the holes line up keeps the excess pressure down. Keep at it you will develop the touch it just take time to work out your tecnique.
Gary

alamogunr
03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the instructions. I've got to cast some more of the .45 boolets before I get any more experience with the sizer.

Funny thing, I don't have trouble with rifle boolets. I guess it is because the multiple lube grooves make it require less precision in locating the boolet in the sizer. Or, I've been lucky.

I need to get out and shoot what I've got loaded up too. The weather here has been less than ideal for getting out or I'm getting old.

.22-10-45
03-22-2013, 11:35 PM
What I have done is use a box end wrench on pressure screw..holding firm pressure on bullet, apply lube pressure...while still holding firm pressure on bullet...back off on the pressure..then eject..this usually does the trick.

wallenba
03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
That's a common problem with bevel base boolits too. You can take a 45 case and use it as a cookie cutter to knock out some foam disks from a grocery store meat packing tray. Place that in the bottom of the sizing die.

alamogunr
03-22-2013, 11:59 PM
What I have done is use a box end wrench on pressure screw..holding firm pressure on bullet, apply lube pressure...while still holding firm pressure on bullet...back off on the pressure..then eject..this usually does the trick.

I'll try that. I've got a box end wrench on my 450 too. Whatever was with it when it was new never made it to me. I had a ratchet but decided I didn't want to use it on the sizer. The box end never got used for anything anyway.

None of my boolets are bevel base. Not because of any plan, I just like the looks of good square bases.

crash87
03-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Find a friend who will give you a shotgun shell #4 or bigger, 2 is what I use, I believe, to plug them holes. This is one reason, if I can, use RCBS dies. You shouldnt have to run your bullet in the sizer then turn it and do it again. What a pain that must be. When you get those holes plugged and your stop plug set to the right spot, you should be able to turn up the pressure, the right amount, you will get it, and run your bullet in the die, wait a millisecond to a second and have a bullet that is perfectly lubed. Depending on the amount of lube used you may get another or 3 before more pressure is needed.
As far as plugging the holes, you will need to set the shot on the hole, it needs to be bigger, and tap it in say 1/2 way. you will then have a slight shoulder set into the shot to keep it in place, not going all the way in, out is OK, in? no good. If your die then doesn't fit in your sizer, file a flat on the shot till it does.
CRASH87

cajun shooter
03-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I use 7 1/2 shot to block holes in my Star Dies. Just open a hull and get some shot.

alamogunr
03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
I asked a friend about some shells with lead shot in #2 & #4. He said he would check but thought that most of his were steel since that is what is mandated for waterfowl. Any other suggestions for lead shot to avoid a 25 lb bag.

I guess it wouldn't be wasted since the excess could be turned into boolets.

alamogunr
04-02-2013, 03:33 PM
I guess I'll resurrect this for another comment. I checked my size dies for hole diameter. The RCBS and SAECO only have one set of holes. I only have 2 Lyman dies and they have either 2 or 4 sets of holes. The holes are different sizes. In one die they are approx. .157 and in the other, .125. Given the problem of finding #2 and #4 shot, I think my best option is to tinker with adjustments until I'm getting good groove fill in either one(and only) or all grooves. If I run across a box of shells w/#2 or #4 shot I'll get them and try blocking holes but won't count on it.