PDA

View Full Version : neck size for garand? brass life?

MeestaSparkle
08-20-2007, 11:16 PM
I've been browsing google looking for info on neck sizing for the m1 garand. The reviews seem to be mixed, half saying it's suicide, the other half saying they do it and it's fine. What is the CB opinion?
How many loadings do you guys get with conservative loads that will still cycle the action?

BruceB
08-21-2007, 01:11 AM
NO!!!!! DO NOT NECK-SIZE BRASS FOR THE M1! You might get away with it...until the day that you don't....

Go to post #56 (page 3) of the stickied thread on the 7.62 NATO in the M1A (on this Board, Military Rifle Cast Bullet Loads) for the explanation.

Rest assured, it's not urban legend or fairy tales.

Once you rule out neck-sizing, do a search (up on the toolbar atop each page here) for "Garand" and "M1". There's plenty of info if you'll do the search. Brass life is long, if charges and powders are selected with care.Garands work just fine with cast bullets, but the rules for using jacketed bullets do NOT apply in many situations. READ!

redneckdan
08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
I have used the lee collet die before when I had my garand, when building reach out and touch something ammo. But those were made with cases fired in my chamber, completed rounds were mic-d to make sure they fit and single loaded without letting the bolt slam hard. not really worth the effort.

hydraulic
08-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Just getting caught up on reading the earlier posts and did I get a jolt when I read #56 above. I've been reloading the same old 20 rds of St. Louis '43, for the last three years, with a 310 tool (because it's fun), using Bob's recommended 45 grs. of H4831, 311413 in my CMP M1. I shall revert to full length resizing.

Phil
08-28-2007, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't neck size for the M1 OR M14/M1A for sure. This is a sure way to tempt the fates. You only need ONE slam fire to change your religion. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Good way to ruin a perfectly good rifle and pair of pants.

Cheers,

Phil

Hip's Ax
08-28-2007, 08:16 AM
As everyone else has stated always full length resize for the M1 or any semi for that matter. I strongly recommend the use of a Wilson Cartridge Case Gage to check you brass as a final step. Many folks say to avoid Federal primers in Garands, I use CCI #34 mil spec primers in all my Garands as the ultimate slam fire preventative but I'm aware many use WLR with no ill effect. I always uniform the primer pockets too as another problem stopper. Don't worry about brass life, if your using Lake City as you should the usual limiting factor on scrapping the brass is that after something like 13 reloads the rim is so dinged up it won’t fit in the shell holder anymore. Of course I'm assuming your Garand is 30-06. I've never used cast in an M1 and really don't see that I ever would so please take heed of the cast specific info presented by the learned shooters above.