PDA

View Full Version : Supplies showing up and snaped RCBS decaping pin

Case Stuffer
03-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Today I was out running errands so droped by a indoor range to pick up a few things and check firearms avilibility. TThey had good selction of Glocks, a few SA XDs, several lines of 1911 even a few Kimbers and Kroil penetrating oil which I had never seen in a local gun shop. Droped by firearms / sporting goods store and they had a decent selection of powder but no primers and no 22 ammo which everyone seemed to be asking about. Next stoped by a rather major reloading operation and not only did they have a rather nice selection of powder but more primers than I have seen in one place in a long while. I picked up a thousand CCC SRM and a thousand Federal SP. I was tempted to purchase 10 times as many primers but I do not want to be one of those hoarders. They even had 525 round bulk 22 LR for $50 which is a fair price these days it seems.

Snaped a RCBS decaping pin with no spare on hand so checked what might be made to workand found that the shank of a 1/4" steel pop rivet was only .005 to large in dia. so a few minutes with drill file and sandpaper and problem solved.

LUBEDUDE
03-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Sounds like a pretty successful outing.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Drill bits make for quick de-capping pins although a bit more expensive, till you count in driving to town

Case Stuffer
03-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Being a Radio Control modeler I use to keep 1/16" dia. and others assorted sizes of 36" lengths of music wire around to make control linkages from and the occasional special coil or leaf spring. I considered using a drill bit but all of mine are good quality high speed ones and the pop rivets are way cheaper and I have a hundred or so on hand. I live in the sticks so there are no hardware stores closer than 20 miles . Love being out away from traffic and the constant sound of police ,fire and emergency vechiles but not real convient at times. Trip today was my annual take paper work to accouant to have taxs prepared. Perhaps next week when I go to pice them up I will stop by a hardware store for music wire or cheap drill bits and perhaps the ammo works to pick up more primers.

03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
RCBS will send you a package of five, no charge, including postage.

runfiverun
03-21-2013, 08:22 PM
the pins from u-joints sure look similar...

km101
03-21-2013, 10:52 PM
The distributors must be taking care of you good ole' boys in GA better than they are us here in Texas! I havent seen primers or powder around here. A few pistols available, but not many and not much selection. The local Walmarts dont even have .22lr ammo! Enjoy the bounty while it is available, it may not last.

41 mag fan
03-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Ground off panel nails make good decapping pins also.
Panel nails are hardened and wont bend or break very easily.
Just place one in, and cut off where it's about the same length of the regular decapping pins, make sure the cut off end isn't sharp as it'll pierce the primer before pushing it out of the primer pocket and you'll be good to go.
Been awhile since I've used a panel nail, but you might have to take the decapping rod into the store to make sure the head of the nail will fit correctly.....can't remember if there's different sizes of panel nails.
A box of them will last a loooonngg time

429421Cowboy
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
the pins from u-joints sure look similar...

I had never thought of that, but they sure do look alike, that could be a free liftime supply right there!

Huntducks
03-23-2013, 02:24 AM
Panel nails work great grind off the head and away you go.

$50 for 525 and you think thats a good price choak & gag:groner:

max range
04-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I've never broken a Lee decap pin, or had a problem with a stuck case. Even when trying to decap a Berdan primed case that mysteriously appeared in the pile. I mix and match die sets. For example I like Lyman M dies for expanding and Redding for seating. I sell/trade off the duplicate and uneeded dies or use the dupes for my single stage rig.

khmer6
04-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Same here. I've never broke a Lee decapper even when accidently hitting a berdan

Bullet Caster
04-03-2013, 12:57 AM
I have. ^. Went to decap a berdan primed .30-06 and broke the decapper. Danged Lee charged nearly as much for the pin as for the whole decapper die. BC