PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me out?

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-21-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm looking / hoping to rent or borrow a Dillon RL550B caliber conversion kit for a 38 S&W,
and maybe a set of dies? I got 500 rounds to load, a one time thing, hate to spend the money
for the kit and dies and dread the thought of single staging 500 rounds. :(
I found new LEE carbide dies so I can buy them if need be, but I'd rather not buy something I only get to use once

ON EDIT: One thing I hadnt considered for this cartridge, will the Dillon powder measure do OK with very light loads?
Some of the load data calls for 1.5-3 grains. Might be a bit tricky!

LUBEDUDE
03-21-2013, 06:27 PM
If I had 'em I loan them to ya, sorry.

As far as the Dillon PM, I have had my small powder slide down to 2.3 gr. of Clays before with consistent throws.

Good Luck

runfiverun
03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
clay's, t-group, and 231 will drop consistent weights at 2-2.5grs.
I don't have 38 S&W.
if you could make a 38 special shell plate/powder funnel work I could loan you them for a bit.

Mk42gunner
03-21-2013, 09:12 PM
I got 500 rounds to load, a one time thing, hate to spend the money
for the kit and dies and dread the thought of single staging 500 rounds.

Look on the bright side-- You could be doing 500 rounds with a Lee Loader.

It has been a lot of years since I had a Dillon, but I think for the 1.5 grain charges you will need the extra small charge bar.

Robert

Catshooter
03-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Jim,

I used all 38 special dies to do mine, except for the sizer. The 38 sizer sizes too small so I used a 9mm Makarov carbide die. That worked well.

Of course I was using a .363 boolit. If you're not going so large then Special stuff may work for you.

Cat

Springfield
03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
First off, I can't find the extra small charge bar anywhere on the Dillon site you guys talk about. I took a small powder bar and JB welded up the open area on the end so that it will go down to nothing now, worked well with some 32 S&W I was doing. Second, I do 38 S&W on my Dillon, so I'm sure I can find everything to lend you so that you can do your one big batch. Just pm me and we will work it out.

Alvarez Kelly
03-22-2013, 01:29 AM
He needs a U shellplate, an F funnel, and #2 buttons.

I have an F funnel... that's it...

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-22-2013, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I have the stuff for 38/357, the cases wont fit the shell holder.

Springfield,
you are a gentleman and a scholar, PM forthcoming

Daddyfixit
03-22-2013, 01:58 AM
First off, I can't find the extra small charge bar anywhere on the Dillon site you guys talk about. I took a small powder bar and JB welded up the open area on the end so that it will go down to nothing now, worked well with some 32 S&W I was doing. Second, I do 38 S&W on my Dillon, so I'm sure I can find everything to lend you so that you can do your one big batch. Just pm me and we will work it out.

Your fix should work just fine. I bought the Dillon ex-small powder bar for my light loads.
Dillon X-Small Powder Bar
Stock Number: 20780

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23601/catid/3/Dillon_X_Small_Powder_Bar