PDA

View Full Version : Auction?

tbierley
03-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Has the Swapping&Selling section become Ebay or Gunboker? I would like know this because if that is it we should stop posting anything but auctions on this thread. Now I have this off my chest everyone have a day.

Love Life
03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
People may sell as they choose. In today's ridiculous firearms market an auction is smart. It gets you the most money since the market sets your selling price, unless you get a bid for under what you paid/want. Then that is your problem.

It also allows people to make more money without being listed as "EVIL, HOARDER, SCARY, GOUGER guy" since if it sells on auction for much more than pre-scare prices everybody is ok with it, but be the one to price according to the market right now and you get picked on.

In summary I discussed:
Auctions are allowed
People make more money (possibly) from an auction
Buyers set the selling price
Nobody is labeled eveil gouger and everybody walks away happy

TheGrimReaper
03-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Has the Swapping&Selling section become Ebay or Gunboker? I would like know this because if that is it we should stop posting anything but auctions on this thread. Now I have this off my chest everyone have a day.

Okay good! I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

possom813
03-21-2013, 02:16 PM
I feel like if you're going to do an auction, a portion should go back to the site.

I've offered somewhere around 2-5 auctions, I really don't recall. The most recent, I'm donating 25% back to cb, one of the others was 100%.

I just feel that if you're going to offer an auction, you need to make a monetary donation to the site. It doesn't have to be much, but something, any other auction venue is going to take at least 9% plus additional fees to sell, so a small donation shouldn't be much of an issue.

Just my feelings.

41 mag fan
03-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Possom I agree with you on the site donation. It's a good thing to do and people will raise the price just so that some goes back into the site.
For the ops though who don't like the auctions, I am the same way, but I don't complain, I skip over them and look at the other stuff for sale.

runfiverun
03-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Possom I agree with you on the site donation. It's a good thing to do and people will raise the price just so that some goes back into the site.
For the ops though who don't like the auctions, I am the same way, but I don't complain, I skip over them and look at the other stuff for sale.

saving some typing.
the same item will probably be two threads down anyway.

waksupi
03-21-2013, 08:11 PM
I will post things as auctions, as I don't know what a lot of things are worth to people. If you don't like it, suck it up and go somewhere else.

I remember some recent pissing and moaning about prices some people have posted for items here.

geargnasher
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Auctions seem fine to me, many times the best way for everyone to haggle out a deal. If you want to auction for site donation, there's already a section just for that.

Gear

kenjuudo
03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Many members can't man the keyboard 24/7. How many times have you noticed an item, sometimes discontinued, that you would have paid twice the asking price for but it was snapped up in the first five minutes?

An auction gives you a better shot at that mold you've always wanted for your collection, the part you have been hunting for to finish a project, or something just does not show up locally very often.

jim

gbrown
03-22-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm inclined to agree with kenjuudo. I've missed several things I wanted because they were snagged quickly. Oh well. I also agree with 41 mag fan and possum on the site donation. Only, it doesn't matter whether it is an auction or not. My analogy is "Would you let someone you didn't know have a yard sale in front of your house?" Everyone who sells any amount of things on S&S should give back to the site. If I sell on this site, in open view or "behind the scenes", I remember and send money in. I see regulars on S&S selling. I just hope they feel the same as I do.

TheGrimReaper
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM
I will post things as auctions, as I don't know what a lot of things are worth to people. If you don't like it, suck it up and go somewhere else.

I remember some recent pissing and moaning about prices some people have posted for items here.

true that is what I do I just ignore it and go on.

S&W-629
03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
I have one up there now I know that there is no new ones out there to be had and I don't know what is a good price for them. And I don't need them . So is that wrong?

1Shirt
03-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Good on you Waksupi! Ya tell it like it is!
1Shirt!

45nut
03-22-2013, 11:42 PM
I don't get the idea we should restrict anyone's liberty on their method of selling,, anymore than I can back a "universal background check".
life, liberty, pursuit of happiness.

DLCTEX
03-23-2013, 12:02 AM
I don't get the idea we should restrict anyone's liberty on their method of selling,, anymore than I can back a "universal background check".
Where's the "Like" button? I'm hitting it!

Alvarez Kelly
03-23-2013, 12:02 AM

That just kinda' says it all, doesn't it...

fishhawk
03-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Well wasn't going to chime in here but I'm going to any way. Some may not know I'm the swapping and selling moderator and I got this to say about the auctions in S&S no one but no one is forcing any one to buy or participate in a auction! You don't like it don't bid problem solved! steve k S&S moderator

gbrown
03-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Well wasn't going to chime in here but I'm going to any way. Some may not know I'm the swapping and selling moderator and I got this to say about the auctions in S&S no one but no one is forcing any one to buy or participate in a auction! You don't like it don't bid problem solved! steve k S&S moderator

Well said, sir. As I have always said, vote with your money, that's the way we do it with free enterprise and the open market system. How someone wants to sell, that's their business, how we want to buy, that's ours.

Gar
03-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Right to the point, :drinks:

Sweetpea
03-24-2013, 01:44 AM

Has anybody mentioned that we have the best MODs lately?

Olevern
03-24-2013, 10:33 AM
People may sell as they choose. In today's ridiculous firearms market an auction is smart. It gets you the most money since the market sets your selling price, unless you get a bid for under what you paid/want. Then that is your problem.

It also allows people to make more money without being listed as "EVIL, HOARDER, SCARY, GOUGER guy" since if it sells on auction for much more than pre-scare prices everybody is ok with it, but be the one to price according to the market right now and you get picked on.

In summary I discussed:
Auctions are allowed
People make more money (possibly) from an auction
Buyers set the selling price
Nobody is labeled eveil gouger and everybody walks away happy

sounds like it works better for the seller than the buyer, which is why I'll continue to ignore auctions here.