PDA

View Full Version : more coatings

andrew375
03-21-2013, 12:28 PM
I've found two more items that looked promising a lube; an aerosol wax intended as a mould release agent for use with vacuum forming plastics and the other a water based acrylic liquid intended as a sealer for MDF and wood surfaces.

Test vehicle was my Mosin 1891. Load was my standard accuracy load of the Lee .311-185 bullet and 28gr. of Lovex D060 (aka Accurate 5744) which gives consistent grouping at 2100 fps. I know this is a tough test to start out with but these were the only bullets I had cast up, gas check seated, but not lubed. Ten rounds of each were loaded and shot at 50 metres, prone but with no sling or other support.

Here is the spray wax. The supplyer is in the uk but this was not made by them so I suggest you just look for a product with the same description for the same intended application.

I gave two applications of the spray and when dry the bullets felt quite slippery and slightly tacky, like on some brands (RWS, Remington) of .22 rimfire ammo.

Grouping was good, all the holes were round and there was no sign of lead fouling in the barrel. So this one is worthy of more testing.

The MDF sealer is by Rustins (http://www.rustins.co.uk/) which is a multi national so it should be available at your local DIY wood working supply store. Application was by simply dipping the bullets and leaving to dry for half an hour. Once again two coats were applied.I notice they also do a product called "liquid wax" that looks worth a try.

Grouping is not as good as I was getting tired, note the called flyers. This time there were ovular holes and clearly visible lead fowling. I will not be using this again.

popper
03-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Looks interesting, pretty good at that fps.