PDA

View Full Version : In Search of Tru-Line Jr. Dies

NVcurmudgeon
08-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Did I see a mention here a while ago of a place called the 310 Store, or similar name? Just picked up a TLJ press and need dies and shell holders.

mark348
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
its called the 310 shop,,,, i just double checked with a google search,,,,enjoy the trueline jr

floodgate
08-20-2007, 08:41 PM
NV:

That's Randy Davis's "The 310 Shop", moved early this summer to Tombstone, AZ. He's been on vacation through July, and I haven't gotten his August listing, but he has a LOT of 310 and T-L Jr. die sets in stock at any time. Try him on-mail at:

<The310Shop@aol.com.>

Be aware that T-L Jr. dies come in several flavors, depending on whether your press is an early one, with a single pair of links connecting to the slider BEHIND the post, or a late one with compound links with straight links connected to L-shaped ones IN FRONT of the post. Only the last type will do full-length sizing on the shorter cases: .22 Hornet through .44-40 and .45 Colt, and neither will F/L size longer rifle cases.

Randy usually has the commoner sizes of the "J"-type shell-holders used in this press; or can supply a conversion "J-to-X" adapter that takes regular RCBS-type S/H's.

floodgate

Hairtrigger
08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
I have a die marked 257 bob. It is missing the decap pin.
Anyone need or able to make use of this?

NVcurmudgeon
08-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the quick answers mark348 and Floodgate. What a resource this place is!

madcaster
08-21-2007, 01:31 AM
I have a set of .45 ACP dies for the 310 tool.Need them?

ktw
08-21-2007, 02:07 AM
I have 2 sets of dies for for 257 Roberts (one 2 die set for trueline and one 4 die set for 310 handles, no priming chamber) and a full 5 die set, plus extras for 243 Winchester if anyone is interested.

Looking for a 30-06 set, a 38-55 set and a 44Mag/Spcl set if anyone wants to swap or sell. Most interested in the seaters and expanders if someone has partial sets.

-ktw

GLL
08-21-2007, 02:59 PM
madcaster:

I would be interested in hearing details on your .45ACP dies if NV passes !

Jerry

scrapcan
08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
ktw,

I have an extra set of 30-06 310 dies. Set includes MR, decap, expander (.311) seater with 328 seater punch, and #2 j shell holder. It is not in the original box.We could work a trade or ?? Send me a pm.

For all ,
Randy Davis is as Floodgate would say "one of the good guys". Both of these guys have treated me right. I would not hesitate to deal with either.

Swagerman
08-21-2007, 05:24 PM
With all the reloading crapola I have, I still like to use the 310 dies in .44 special and .45 Colt caliber...especially the seating die. It puts the best dang crimp on my brass over all the other full size die brands.

I use a Lyman 7/8X14 to 5/8X32 reducer bushing to use the 310 dies in my presses. But they are mainly used in the Lyman All American turret press.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P8270020Lyman600XcroppedSGdiehole.jpg

NVcurmudgeon
08-21-2007, 06:09 PM
madcaster:

I would be interested in hearing details on your .45ACP dies if NV passes !

Jerry

Jerry, go for the .45 ACP dies. I'm looking for .38 Special for sure, and maybe .30/30 and .30/40.

GLL
08-21-2007, 08:20 PM
curmudgeon:

Thank you !

We made a deal on the .45ACP dies ! :)

I would also like to find a set in .38Special. Drop me a note if you come across an extra !

Jerry

woody1
08-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Jerry, go for the .45 ACP dies. I'm looking for .38 Special for sure, and maybe .30/30 and .30/40.

If you solve the shellholder problem, you can load 30-40 K with 30-06 dies. The J to X adapter will allow you to use regular shellholders in the truline and you're on your way. I do it with my 310 tool as I lucked into a No. 7 priming chamber for the 310. Regards, Woody

trooperdan
08-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Curmudgeon, I have a mess of 310 and Tru-line dies in the shack, let me check and see what I have extra. The 310 Shop is mighty proud of their sets!

scrapcan
08-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Trooperdan,

If you have a set of 32 S&W Long dies I would be interested in them. I have been looking for a set for a while now.

Jeremy

NVcurmudgeon
08-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Curmudgeon, I have a mess of 310 and Tru-line dies in the shack, let me check and see what I have extra. The 310 Shop is mighty proud of their sets!

As an old sailor, I am very talented at standing by. Happy to wait on your shack check. Looks like the 310 Shop could destroy a C-note for two sets of dies.

woody1
08-22-2007, 11:14 PM
As an old sailor, I am very talented at standing by. Happy to wait on your shack check. Looks like the 310 Shop could destroy a C-note for two sets of dies.

NVcurmudgeon, If trooperdan doesn't fix you up with 38 Spl. I can prob'ly do so. I hate to admit it but I've got 3 truline and/or 310 die sets for 38 Spl./357 mag. What I can't find for your Truline is the extra J-1 shellholder I thot I had. I'd most like to swap for another comparable set of most anything in truline or 310 persuasion.

Not to steal this thread, but I've also got a seriously less than pristine 244 Rem/243 Win. 2 die set I'd swap for something if someone really wants them. PM me to discuss these because I want to be sure you know what you're getting. They work but they're dang sure not pretty.:neutral: Regards, Woody

Swagerman
08-23-2007, 12:13 AM
I've got a complete set of 310 dies in .38 Super that ain't doing nuthing, has original box and looks to be NIB.

Don't own a .38 Super, but thought I might like to get one some day, bought the 310 dies a few years back from a gent up in Canada.

Jim

Swagerman
08-23-2007, 12:15 AM
I've got a complete set of 310 dies in .38 Super that ain't doing nuthing, has original box and looks to be NIB.

Don't own a .38 Super, but thought I might like to get one some day, bought the 310 dies a few years back from a gent up in Canada.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/310diesfor.jpg

trooperdan
09-03-2007, 09:01 PM
NVCurmudgeon, I finally got into the shack to check my 310 dies; if you haven't already been set up by the other posters I have an extra set both in .38 Spec and .30-06. The .38's are for the 310 but I forgot to check on the .30-06, might be 310 or Tru-line. Do you need a shell holder for your press for .38?

NVcurmudgeon
09-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Woody1, as Trooper Dan was the first offer, I wil see if he can outfit me with Tru Line Jr. stuff. Also, I see you are interested in trading, but I have nothing to trade. I got a bare TLJ press with '06 shellholder two weeks ago at a gun show. As you can guess, my ignorance of things TLJ or 310 is monumental! Thank you very much.

beagle
09-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Check an outfit on the net called Vega Engineering. Last time I looked, they offered the J shellholders and darned near any other brand known to mankind. Don't remember the pricing./beagle

If you solve the shellholder problem, you can load 30-40 K with 30-06 dies. The J to X adapter will allow you to use regular shellholders in the truline and you're on your way. I do it with my 310 tool as I lucked into a No. 7 priming chamber for the 310. Regards, Woody

Bob S
09-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Midway has the widget to adapt the TL Jr to "regular" shell holders:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=758282&t=11082005

My TL Jr is still in regular use.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

NVcurmudgeon
09-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Bob S. Thanks for the tip on the J to X adaptor. I didn't know they were that easily available. It was a little cheaper at Graf's.

Beagle, I did a search on Vega Engineering, but there were too many sites using that name. I could have gotten engineering consulting in English, French, or Italian, or even Chevy Vega parts. (IMO, that was Chevy's worst ever!) Thanks but I am so computer illiterate I need a picture!

Urny
09-06-2007, 06:30 PM
www.vegatool.com

NVcurmudgeon
09-07-2007, 12:29 AM
www.vegatool.com

Thanks, Ernie. I was barking up the wrong tree, looking for "Vega Engineering." As it worked out, I have '06 and .38 Special dies, and the .38 Special Shellholder coming from Trooper Dan. Graf had a good price on the J to X shellholder adaptor. I can use my RCBS shellholder with the TLJ to load .30/40 with the '06 dies, and maybe some other .30 cals that I haven't figured out yet. Tru Value had a stainless 12" length of 7/16" for the handle. Looks like it's all coming together except for a ball knob. Mind you, I didn't need it at all, but it's going to be a fun toy, and that's where it's at! Did I tell you that one of the .270 dies I got at the BRGS turned out to be a .218 BEE sizer, so now I have a .270 sizer and no seater. Jim Luft where are you? Hey, I have his card, maybe I can get him to take the .218 die and my rare P.O. Ackley, .44 Special crimping die, and no doubt a small amount of money for an RCBS .270 seater. The madness continues.

Need an update on yours and Linda's parents. We are still praying and holding good thoughts for them, Bill

scrapcan
09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
NVcurmudgeon,

have you come up with the lyman 55 powder measure and adapter to mount in with the press? You might aswell have all the bells and whistles. I just did some trading with Floodgate to get the funnels to mount the 55 on the truline.

You should have a look at the Antique reloading tools collectors site. There is a good description of the truline and its verious models/modifications.

trooperdan
09-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Bill, I have a Lyman 310 .270 seater, too late for inclusion with the package that went out yesterday though. If you still need it I can send it on your way.

Dan

NVcurmudgeon
09-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Trooper Dan, Urny came by today, and we made a deal involving multiple dies that will leave me with a Lyman .270 set. I don't have a 270, but it is a popular caliber and I could wind up with one. The madness continues.

madcaster
09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
No longer avalible here.

hunterldh
09-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Sir - I have a long list of reloading equipment that is for sale. There are a number of sets of reloading dies for the 310 tool and for the True Line JR. Please give me your email address and I will return the list as a Word attachment. Best regards, Hunter

beagle
09-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Talk about all the bells and whistles for a TLJ....Ideal at one time made a "shellholder" arrangement that allowed the use of the push thru sizers that came with the 310 tool "Ammunition Maker" kit that they marketed.

I've never seen one in the flesh but I'll bet Randy Davis has some if he knows what they are.

It would be fairly simple to make a holder for the rod and then you'd have a push through sizer for the TLJ./beage

NVcurmudgeon,

have you come up with the lyman 55 powder measure and adapter to mount in with the press? You might aswell have all the bells and whistles. I just did some trading with Floodgate to get the funnels to mount the 55 on the truline.

You should have a look at the Antique reloading tools collectors site. There is a good description of the truline and its verious models/modifications.

scrapcan
09-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Beagle,

an old friend of mine talked to me about that one time. He said he had seen taht in an ideal advertisement. I would like to see it also. I would like to make a univesal shellholder to fit modern ram to do the same thing. maybe someone already makes some and I haven't found them yet.

trooperdan
09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
There are a bunch of these listed on eBay right now;
http://cgi.ebay.com/310-TOOL-BULLET-SIZING-DIE-357-LYMAN-IDEAL-TRU-LINE_W0QQitemZ280150233068QQihZ018QQcategoryZ7308Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

KCSO
09-11-2007, 03:31 PM
I have some of these and if you imagine a Lee die scaled down to tong tool size you got it. They work ok and one time for an article I cast, lubed, sized and reloaded 50 rounds of ammo in primitive camp by lantern light. Trust me it takes a lot longer to do this over a wood stove in the dark. I used an Ideal #1 set p with a 310 sizer die and pan lube. If I remember right 50 rounds took a little over 2 hours from start to finish.

scrapcan
09-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Trooperdan and KCSO,

What we were discussing is the j shellholder adapter that fits the push rod on the lyman sizer. I have a passel of lyman push thru sizers, just no good way to hold the push thru rod. I have tried all of my shellholders both j and x style and nothing fits the push thru rod. I use the 7/8x14 adapter and the lyman push thru dies in a modern press.

If you have suggestions I am listening.

Swagerman
09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Manleyjt, I just did some experimenting with the Lyman 310 stuff.

If your push through rod has a rim like a cartridge case, you can insert it in a shellholder receptical without the shellholder being in place. Its a sloppy fit but will work with the hand guiding it up into the 310 sizer die.

( I did this with a .429 sizer die and push rod)

Or, if your push rod has no rim, have one made on a lathe that has a better fit in the shellholder receptical on the ram...without the shellholder in place. Or, have one made that the newely made rim version that will fit a shellholder of your choice.

Jim

scrapcan
09-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Swagerman,

That is exactly what i have been doing on the old ch single stage press. I am tired of pinching fingers. I have used a large shellholder and just used it to push, then I pull pushthru out by hand.

Wish I had a lathe or a good friend with one close by. i will have to work on that.

Swagerman
09-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Manleyjt, maybe I can make you one.

What length, and what shellholder do you want it to fit.

Also, most important, what diameter should the push rod be...caliber bullet push rod.

Jim

scrapcan
09-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I would gladly accept your offer. We can work something out on payment, your time and efforts are worth something.

I have 311, 308, 225 dies. I could send the pins to you for modification. I will look at the pins and see if all are similar and if they could easily be adjusted to fit a shellholder.

I think a push rod with a slight cavity would work great for a nose first push tru. I will get back with you.

Swagerman
09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
lets take this to email, as I have many questions to ask on what you need, there will be no charge involved in making these items.

I've had too many nice gents make stuff up for me to ask payment for some push rod job.

I'm at bigcaddy@centurytel.net just let me know what the subject is so I don't erase it when it comes through.

Jim

beagle
09-13-2007, 10:27 AM
It wouldn't be too hard for a machinist with a good mill. He'd have to aneal the shellholder for a small base case and mill the slot to accept the end of the push through rod. I think they're all the same so they'd interchange.

I've seen that add. Seems to me that it came out at the end of the life cycle of the TLJ when everyone was switching to 7/8 X 14 TPI dies and was never popular.

The concept is good as I've sized many bullets through the 310 tool chambers but quickly switched to a #45 sizer as it lubed.

Still it would be handy./beagle

Beagle,

an old friend of mine talked to me about that one time. He said he had seen taht in an ideal advertisement. I would like to see it also. I would like to make a univesal shellholder to fit modern ram to do the same thing. maybe someone already makes some and I haven't found them yet.

scrapcan
09-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Swagerman,

I will get with you via email. I will have a look at what I have and see what we can come up with. I could just use a lee push thru, but I already have some of the lyman sizers.

Anyway expect to hear form me in a few days.

Swagerman
09-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I thought we was talking about handgun push rods, don't know if I can handle them pointed nose punches.

My bullets all go in head first.

Another idea is to have a machinest cut the base down on your existing push rod without the rim so it will fit into a Lee shellholder primer hole...then have it tack welded to hold it in place.

It only needs to be maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep into the primer hole, then tack it from inside the primer hole.

I did this with my Tru-line Jr press until I got some X to J shellholders.

Jim

scrapcan
09-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Jim,

I too push them headfirst. I have modified a few lyman and rcbs h&I dies so that you hav ea small cavity and a rim to push the gas check against. It seams to make them seat better.

Good idea on the cut down and fit to a shellholder. I can do all of those things without the lathe for a test. It could also be done so that the shellholder is tapped and the rod is threaded so you can replace rods on the shell holder. This would require that all rods have the same machined threads (diameter and pitch) but that is no big deal. I can do that with a little nimat lathe and a tap and die set.

Stay tuned, I will report back on the things I mess up.

And to the rest of you sorry for the hijack for a looking for thread to a how can I do this thread.