PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp +p

newton
03-20-2013, 11:06 PM
I would like to load some. For a BH convertible, and I got a few +p stamped brass. So I know the gun/brass can handle it, but I'm having hard time finding data. Anyone have anything for 230 grain with unique, herco, or red dot?

Thanks

felix
03-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Forget the plus P idea and just use normal book loads. That is my advise. However, if the plus P idea is solid in your mind, look in various books which show pressure with the loads. Normal loads will be 10-16K psi/cup. Plus P loads will be over that, but less than 22-25K psi/cup. 45ACP brass is heavy duty anyway, so no real danger in your Ruger. Keep those Plus P loads away from any auto gun, unless the gun is actually set up for them. Gun can be damaged otherwise with only a few loads. ... felix

newton
03-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Yea, this is one of those 'because I can' things. I found 6, +p headstamped, nickle plated brass. I figured I'd try it once, and keep them around for vampires and such.

I can't think of many times I have pushed to max, much less gone +p with anything. I always figured it wears out the brass quicker. But seeing how this was just a few pieces amongst many, might as well.

Thanks for the thoughts. I figured if I couldn't come up with a solid load then that's what I'd do. Just go up to max, then crest the hill a little. I can find +p velocity and boolit weight, but not load.

Case Stuffer
03-21-2013, 08:05 AM
I can find +p velocity and boolit weight, but not load

Likely because it is nearing the Danger Will Robinson zone.

Brass marked +P or even +P+ is not special , it is merely thus marked for the original loading so some one does not use such ammo in a very old clunker or el cheap designed for one drive by shooting only.

Not all and perhaps not as common today but in the past nickle plated brass was often used for Proof Loads which are on the order of 30% (?) above industry max.. I use to hot rod 45ACP or so I thought then Super Vel came along with 190gr. JHP at 988 fps out of a AMT Hardballer.my pistol and chrono.. FYI same pistol and chrono. Sierra 185 JHP ,6.9 gr.WW 231 ,Fed. LP primers once fired Military brass produced ,1.230 COAL , 919 FPS.

newton
03-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Likely because it is nearing the Danger Will Robinson zone.

Brass marked +P or even +P+ is not special , it is merely thus marked for the original loading so some one does not use such ammo in a very old clunker or el cheap designed for one drive by shooting only.

Not all and perhaps not as common today but in the past nickle plated brass was often used for Proof Loads which are on the order of 30% (?) above industry max.. I use to hot rod 45ACP or so I thought then Super Vel came along with 190gr. JHP at 988 fps out of a AMT Hardballer.my pistol and chrono.. FYI same pistol and chrono. Sierra 185 JHP ,6.9 gr.WW 231 ,Fed. LP primers once fired Military brass produced ,1.230 COAL , 919 FPS.

Yea, maybe I should have clarified that. I can find "factory ammo specs for +P ammo", it lists the grain of the bullet and the velocity it goes. Most +P factory ammo is 230 grain going at 950fps. What I meant is that while I can find that, I cannot find much on actually loading it.

My brass is not starline, I believe it is federal, but here is a quote from starline's web page.

"The 45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal water capacity than the standard 45 Auto."

wiljen
03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Try 7.4gr of Herco using a 452374 loaded to an oal of 1.275. That will give 950+ fps from an average 1911 without being +P.

Also - take your +P marked cases and weigh them compared to non +P of the same brand. Remember that external dimensions being the same if one is beefed up it has to weigh more and have less internal capacity so pressures will actually rise more quickly in +P brass if it is indeed heavier. Most +P is nothing more than headstamp and it weighs exactly the same as their non +P counterpart.

runfiverun
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
if you have less internal capacity and use a normal load you now have a +p load.
look at the difference in 257 Roberts +p loads it's the brass that changes things not more powder.

Bwana
03-21-2013, 01:28 PM
"The 45 Auto+P is a strengthened version of the 45 Auto with the same external dimensions. A thicker web and heavier sidewall at base strengthens the case in potentially unsupported areas. This case has approximately 2 grains less internal water capacity than the standard 45 Auto."

That is in reference to THEIR 45+P brass. If you wish to go +P in 45acp I reccommend R-P brass, nickle or not, as I have found it the strongest of the "regular" brass.

Moonie
03-21-2013, 03:01 PM
This is a great article on 45acp in the Blackhawk. I have one but do not do this as I have 2 1911's and load for 2 more. I seriously don't want those loads mixed up...

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=41

newton
03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Thanks for the link moonie, I had read that a long time ago and completely forgot about that article. In fact, I think that was the article that made me decide and pull the trigger on getting my BH.

lotech
03-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Sierra #5 has a section on .45 ACP "revolver" loads; jacketed bullets only but it would serve as a guide for developing cast loads. Data is a good bit hotter than standard .45 ACP.

35remington
03-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Since I have heard that Blackhawks don't permit longer OAL's due to small throats, pay very, very, very close attention to overall lengths. Beagle's article in castpicts.net about heavy bullets in the 45 ACP shows him exceeding plus P velocities with modest powders charges at shorter OAL's in a Blackhawk.

If you load short, then pressures will be high even if powder charges are modest. Deeply seated heavy bullets are particularly pressure inducing. A Blackhawk probably has more safety margin than most 45 ACP's, but the possible short OAL's raise pressure and still require considerable caution.

Don't kid yourself that you can get, for example, 1000 fps with a 230 or 255 when loaded to short OAL's without exceeding Plus P pressures, especially with a 255. You will in fact be doing so. Then you must be guessing where you're at, and the question of "how far past plus P" must be answered, and again with a guess.

Be careful. It can be done, but it's more desirably done when bullets don't have to be seated so deeply. This means sticking with the 230's for the most part and being very careful with the 255's if and when they are used. Due to ogive shape 230's can be loaded to more standard overall lengths, which is a win-win all the way around.