PDA

View Full Version : My new 94 trapper in 45 colt!

Atakawow
03-20-2013, 11:04 PM
New to me, Win 94AE trapper chambered in .45 colt. I've been wanting one since I got into shooting. Well, the dream has finally come true! Can wait to take this bad boy out!

Can the trapper handle "Ruger only" loads?

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/atakawow/DSCN0078_zps1f0d4b72.jpg

nhrifle
03-20-2013, 11:12 PM
That's a good strong action but I wouldn't try to push it too much. Start with original pressure loads and work up while you discover what your new baby likes to eat. But mostly, have fun! And post a range report for us jealous types!

GARCIA
03-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Don't own a Winchester but my 1894 Marlin 45 Colt takes the heavy loads in stride.
Ran some top end loads with the RCBS 270 SAA that exceeded 1700fps over the screens.
The 45 Colt comes into another world when fired out of a rifle.
Enjoy it!!!

Tom

pietro
03-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Your 94AE should be able to handle any commercially-available .45 Colt loads, provided the rifle has no headspace or other issues.

I'd suggest tying a 6" long piece of leather bootlace onto that saddle ring, to keep the ring from scoring the side of the receiver.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/Pete44ru/DSCN0490.jpg

Bullshop
03-21-2013, 04:38 PM
I have a set of bases for the AE 94 if you need some.

Awsar
03-21-2013, 05:18 PM
i know the marlin can ,not sure on the win. nice gun great caliber tho have fun.

UNIQUEDOT
03-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Can the trapper handle "Ruger only" loads?

Yes it can...it can handle more pressure than the ruger can.

birch
03-21-2013, 08:19 PM
I have the Winchester 92 in .45 colt. I, like you, wanted one the first time I got my hands on a .45 colt wheel gun. I could think of no better combination in the world to have. Well, I did some trading and ended up getting my 92. It is one of those guns that will go to the grave with me. I love it like no other. Garcia has it correct. The .45colt takes on an entirely different light when fired out of a lever gun. Mine is unbeleivably accurate out to 75 yards. After that, she starts to lose steam. I plan on teaching my daughter and son how to shoot on my 45 lever gun.
Take Care,

Gunnut 45/454
03-21-2013, 09:46 PM
I also have a Win 94 in 45 LC, and the answer is no - full bore Ruger loads will break it -it did mine!
The lower starting Ruger only loads are ok! I snapped the carrier with full bore ruger loads- do that now since Winchester is out of buisness -not making the '94 and you'll be SOL for parts! I got lucky when I broke mine they were still in buisness! They fixed it under warrenty!;-) I can run my Lee 300 GC to about 1700 fps which is more then enough for just about anything I'd need to shoot with it! Lee 255 gr PB at alittle more then 1700 fps.

Atakawow
03-21-2013, 10:57 PM
I also have a Win 94 in 45 LC, and the answer is no - full bore Ruger loads will break it -it did mine!
The lower starting Ruger only loads are ok! I snapped the carrier with full bore ruger loads- do that now since Winchester is out of buisness -not making the '94 and you'll be SOL for parts! I got lucky when I broke mine they were still in buisness! They fixed it under warrenty!;-) I can run my Lee 300 GC to about 1700 fps which is more then enough for just about anything I'd need to shoot with it! Lee 255 gr PB at alittle more then 1700 fps.

Holy smoke$! 300gr pill @ 1700 fps is no joke.

HangFireW8
03-22-2013, 08:12 AM

Winchester is fine, USRA is out of business.

Rafe Covington
03-22-2013, 07:13 PM
I have had one for about 25 yrs, yes it will handle Ruger/TC loads. It is a good rifle, mine has furnished dinner a few times, congrats on new rifle.

Rafe

Doc.Holliday
03-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Looks similar to mine, That have the tang safety? My wood was the same color and graining as yours. I found and bought new Winchester 94 SRC wood in the old darker red semi gloss walnut and I am happier with the look of it.
I would be happier without the tang safety and rebounding hammer but other than that they're beauties and scarce.
Mine is a 45 Colt as well and I run Ruger loads in mine but not to the limit. I wouldnt be afraid of any animal in Northern Canada with this 250 grain pill at around 1500 fps. Easier on me the gun and my powder supply

Doc.

BAGTIC
03-31-2013, 07:48 PM
I opened mine up to take 1.8 inch COL cartridges. It feeds them interchangeably with standard factory rounds. It increases case capacity by about 25% which makes it possible to produce higher velocities at lower pressures.

I normally shoot standard length .45 Colt +P clas loads with no problem. I opened it up so it would take reloads with a heavy cast bullet with a longer than standard ogive for better down range performance. I have not had any mechanical problems with the +P loads.

Can anyone tell me why +P loads would break the 'carrier'. It is not really stressed. During firing when the gun recoils the carrier is moving rearward away from the load, the ammo in the magazine tube.

Is it possible that a carrier would break regardless of what load someone was shooting? Things do break sometimes. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?192564-Winchester-Model-94AE-Broken-Carrier

Rangerat
04-07-2013, 01:44 AM
I'm wouldn't recommend shooting "Ruger Only" loads in your nice lever action. And I wouldn't recommend listening to people who tell you it's OK. There should be no mistaking the meaning of the term "Ruger Only". I shot those kinds of loads in my old Bisley and it handled them fine but was kind of distracting and a bit like exercise. But a revolver has a cylinder gap, the lever action doesn't, something i learned the importance of back when I did a lot of single shot pistol reloading.
I had that exact same Winchester for about five years and it is truly a beautiful piece. Mine was awesome with a "regular" 45 LC load for a 255 LSWC at around 850 fps. With open sights I could "walk it in" to a spaghetti sauce jar full of water at 130 yds in about 3 shots. I even killed a few prairie dogs out past a hundred. It was ridiculously accurate and reliable with factory level loads. In fact I considered it my first choice SHTF long arm but sadly a friend in need came along, and since he had GIVEN it to me, I felt obligated. I miss that thing but recently acquired one in 44 mag to make myself feel better about it.

DougGuy
04-07-2013, 02:23 AM
I had ZERO ammo/pressure issues feeding my 45 Trapper the same Ruger Only loads I used with my T/C, Blackhawk and Vaquero. I did have to replace the rear sight, as recoil kept driving the wedge on every shot. Might have been a defective sight from the factory. I think I used a Marvel or Williams sight and that worked fine.

Ziptar
04-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Thats the beauty of the .45 Colt in a rifle. You can hot rod it if you want to but there really isn't a need to do it. Standard loads can do most anything you need from a rifle. I mostly shoot the 270-SAA over 9 grains of Unique in my Marlin 1894, sometimes 10 grains.

The 270-SAA drop as cast at ~295 grains and at 100 yards I can easily group them within 3" of the center of a paper plate. Plenty accurate enough for me.