PDA

View Full Version : Adding tin for .45 casting ---

Prince555
03-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Was wondering about the best way to add a small amount of tin
to straight wheel weights for a 452460 mold for the .45acp ?
I'm just trying a few wweigths to start off with a small batch of
about 20 boolits. Would the tin that's on rolls like solder be ok ?
I heard recently that straight wweights make smaller diameter boolits.

Thanks

shadowcaster
03-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Yes.. rolls of solder will be ok. I would first cast up some boolits without tin and see how they come out/shoot, then if you feel the need, go with 1% tin. Tin is expensive, so I try to not add any if possible. I have not personally experienced smaller boolits with WW.

Shad

Calamity Jake
03-21-2013, 09:09 AM
^^^ What he said. But I use up to 1.5% max added tin.

Jon
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I think you'll find that WW is fine for the 45. I use range scrap, and it's working fine for me.

You really shouldn't need to add tin to it. Save that for rifle or magnum loads.

turmech
03-21-2013, 11:20 AM
I add ½ ounce of 50/50 solder per 1 lb ingot with most bullets and alloys. I add it right to casting pot. That equates to ¼ ounce of tin per lb. Which if I am doing the math right its right around 1.5%. When I do this with rolled plumbing solder I have a mark on my bench which I believe is around 8” long. I cut it at the mark and it is right around ½ oz.

Most likely you could get away with out the tin in large bullets like a 45. Micro grove bullets seem cast better for me regardless of size as well as smaller calibers with the added tin.

dragon813gt
03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
I doubt you will have to add it. I only add for hunting bullets where I need proper expansion. Anything over 2% is a waste of tin as it doesn't do much. And at $17 per pound it's not cheap. Here is an alloy calculator so you see can how much of what to add together : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators

cbrick
03-21-2013, 11:37 AM
I heard recently that straight wweights make smaller diameter boolits. Thanks

Smaller than what? WW alloy will cast smaller than high antimony alloys such as linotype. WW will cast somewhat larger than zero antimony lead. It's the antimony content that will determine as cast diameter.

As for the tin I add 2% to all of my WW alloy regardless of the boolit to be cast.

Rick

Nose Dive
03-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Prince555: Mmmm Pure, good ole WW's.... I don't add anything to mine for my ,45 Hot Loads. These are smelted and fluxed like a fool till the cows come home. When poured, I water drop in a bucket of cold water (ice added) and left to cure for 30 days. I do not gas check, shoot a 230 grain and a 315 grain for hunting chores and have not experienced any leading as yet. When plinking I mix my WW's with pure lead, or pure 'stuff' I have smelted. My Hot Loads are coming out over 1000fps and when Chronographed, some hit 1200. Plinking stuff is over some UNIQUE powder at about 1/2 grain over the lowest charge shown in the book for that bullet weight. Now, if I am taking some pure lead from 'bounus batch' of lead that fell into my lap, I alloy with SUPER HARD from ROTOMetals. It is expensive but it is good. And here, I too add tin. Superhard does not have any so, one needs to add to the mix. I try to attain about a 2% mix by weight. I have been told any more is really a waste. And, Tin in expensive.

So alloy your mix and let us know perfromance. It will be interesting to see how 'tin'd' WW's perform.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.