PDA

View Full Version : Lyman primer pocket tools

hiram
03-20-2013, 09:22 PM
I saw a Lyman primer pocket reamer and a primer pocket uniformer. Would a person need both tools?

dbosman
03-20-2013, 10:10 PM
A primer pocket reamer cuts military crimps and burrs out. A primer pocket uniformer will ream out metal or carbon from the bottom of the primer pocket. So, yes, both are handy to have.

Bent Ramrod
03-21-2013, 02:44 AM
If you have the uniformer, you should not need either a reamer or a scraper/cleaner.

blpenn66502
03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
If the primer pocket has a good crimp, the pocket uniformer will usually not fit, so yes, if crimped you'll need to use the crimp remover before you can use the uniformer most of the time. The uniformer only cuts/cleans up the bottom of the primer pocket.

nicholst55
03-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Having owned the Lyman primer pocket uniformers, I can speak with some authority on this subject. Don't buy them if you'll use them more than occassionally. They won't last if you load any volume of ammunition at all. Buy a set of carbide primer pocket uniformers like the ones that Sinclair sells. Your grandchildren will thank you.

PbHurler
03-21-2013, 11:45 AM
nicholst55 speaks the truth, good advice IMO.

Char-Gar
03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Sinclair is the way to go on these items. I have both the Lyman and the Sinclair and I would not waste my money on the Lyman. They work, but are not as sharp, nor last as long as the Sinclair tools. You pay more, but you get more.

Texantothecore
03-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Use a Lyman primer uniformer. I have had a number of cartridges that had slash holes which had started to close up and the uniformer gave me flash holes that are exactly alike. I also used it take take out a bit of brass burr in a few of the cartridges.

I like it and will continue to use it.

1hole
03-21-2013, 06:00 PM
IF you're going to work on hundreds of cases the tool steel Lyman reamers are fine. IF you're going to do thousands of cases then carbide tools will certainly last longer.

I chuck my Lyman pocket reamers in a battery drill and it takes very little time to do the job.

gray wolf
03-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Having owned the Lyman primer pocket uniformers, I can speak with some authority on this subject. Don't buy them if you'll use them more than occassionally. They won't last if you load any volume of ammunition at all. Buy a set of carbide primer pocket uniformers like the ones that Sinclair sells. Your grandchildren will thank you.
The pocket uniformer allows you to create the same dept for each primer, this gives even seating of each primer ( the dept is uniform from one pocket to the other. Also helps with getting the same ignition. Small pistol and small rifle are used for the same, however large pistol and large rifle are different, large rifle cuts a little deeper. Rifle primers are a tad longer.
They make for the best primer pocket cleaners, after the initial use they can't cut any deeper
hence they only remove the crud from the fired primer.
The Sinclair are great at about $$30 a pop--carbide and last forever.

shooter2
03-21-2013, 07:50 PM
nicholst55 speaks the truth, good advice IMO..

Amen to that!

runfiverun
03-21-2013, 08:13 PM
you might be surprised at how many pockets that don't get cut by the uniforming tool.
they are great for cleaning primer residue out though.
federal primer pockets almost always get a good bit cut out of them.
I use my dull lyman cutter to double check my crimp swaging, if it enters straight and touches bottom the pocket will take a primer.