PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 ammo surprise

Ohio Rusty
03-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I received my Rossi 7.62x39 single shot a couple weeks ago and got my Bushnell Banner scope mounted. It's looking good, but it will be a while until I get to fire it as the shoulder is still in the process of healing/therapy after surgery. I have had the time to peruse the 'net a bunch about the rifle and there is alot of discussion about that rifle having a .308 diameter barrel and accuracy may suffer using .310/.311 boolits. Lots of threads both pro and con on this one.

For the heck of it I wanted to check the boolits in the factory russian loads. I Mic'd the rounds in the Wolf, Tula and WPA performance boxes and those boolits mic at .310 right at where the boolit enters the case. To my surprise, I mic'd the Brown Bear HP's 7.62x39 in the green box and it mic's at .308 !! That ammo has a cannelure that mic's at .305. Just above the cannelure it's .308. I checked numerous loose Brown Bear rounds and they all mic the same. Looks like the couple handfuls of Brown Bear 7.62 I have will be saved for the Rossi rifle. I also Mic'd my prvi partizan 125 grain RNSP ammo and it mic's at .308 also. (I wish I had a couple cases of this ammo !!) Lastly, the Herters 154 grain soft point ammo I picked up at Cabela's mic's at .310. So it looks like I have a couple of brands with .308 boolits that should shoot fine in the Rossi. Now I'm even more anxious to get some rounds down range to see how this little rifle performs.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Bwana
03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
My only suggestion is that you don't fire copper plated, steel jacketed rounds in that barrel.

plainsman456
03-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Yep,just use a magnet on the bullets,to check if they are copper washed steel.

Some barrels do not last long when shooting them.

Ohio Rusty
03-21-2013, 10:40 AM
All russian ammo I have is copper plated is steel jacketed. Fortuntely, they have a lead core so they will squeeze when going thru the barrel better than the copper covered steel core.
When the barrel wears out ...I'll get another one .....
Ohio Rusty ><>