PDA

View Full Version : New Mosin Stock

Gliden07
03-20-2013, 05:18 PM
I was cruzing around the web looking for Gun related stuff and found a new Stock for the Mosin Nagant. It looks Bad A@@ but 200 bucks for a $125 rifle!! By the time you add a Timney Trigger and Optics is it really worth it? Check out the link!

http://www.archangelmanufacturing.com/new-products-2013/

I'm having fun accurizing mine with the old school Sniper tricks! It's way cheaper and gives me a gun related project to mess with. I do think I might get the bedding pillars though? And if that doesn't get to where I want I might spend the few dollars on bedding the action. I do want to have it look stock though.

dmclark523
03-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Call me old fashioned but I would rather keep my Mosin just the way it is. Not only does the original wood finish have bumps, bruises, and carvings, but it adds a real aura to it. All my old military rifles are as correct as possible, and that's the way I like them!

If I ever was going to modernize one, however, I'd look for something much cheaper... just my $.02

Gliden07
03-20-2013, 11:50 PM
No I agree I am not spending 200 bucks for a stock on a gun that cost me $125!! Plus I am keeping it pretty stock brass shims and some cork and sanding. I might do the pillars and bedding in the original wood stock. I want an accurate rifle that I can shoot with against guys with guns costing way more than my Mosin! I'm having fun with it, that's all! The thing is a blast to shoot but I cant keep a group under 8" at 50 yards from a rest right now! I can do better than that with a BB gun! Just thought the stock was a neat piece of plastic. And if the accuracy videos are real the Mosin would be a pretty darn accurate rifle.

I'll Make Mine
03-22-2013, 09:11 PM
It depends on what you want/need to do with your Mosin. You can buy a 91/30 or M39, cut the barrel behind the front sight, grind/file off the rear sight mount, get a PU type side mount scope base and mount a low end scope, get a bent handle bolt, buy the Archangel stock and a couple magazines, and get a Timney trigger -- and still have less into the rifle than you would a purpose built military styled sniper bolt gun (I get around $600 for the above build). If you can check the bore before you drop your money, you should be able to finish with a rifle that will match anything under $1000 for long range shooting, and not look like a Russian WWII veteran.

Just because a lot of us like our Mosins as received, doesn't mean that's the only way to shoot a Mosin. I'll never be able to hit anything small enough to bother beyond 400 yards over the open sights on mine, even if the rifle is accurate enough for the job (it is, at least on a bench), and if I'm going to start mounting a scope and so forth, why not go whole hog?

wallenba
03-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Wow! I like it. But it is pricey. Having put a 91/30 in a Boyd's stock and having to inlet for a Timney trigger, the ease with which the Timney went in that stock makes it attractive. The pistol grip and magazine options are great too. They should offer it in O.D. or tan too.

JeffinNZ
03-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Silk purse and sow's ear springs to mind.

I'll Make Mine
03-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Silk purse and sow's ear springs to mind.

I don't think that's an apt reference at all. My 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 (peak wartime production at the more threatened arsenal), purchased for $120 locally just over a year ago, is capable of 2 MOA with Brown Bear 203 grain soft point loads over iron sights (might well do better with a better shooter and/or carefully worked up reloads); I received it with a polished sear and "Finn" bend sear spring, but the only thing I've done to it is shim the receiver and scrape the barrel channel to float the barrel, leaving even contact at the last inch of the fore end. IOW, what one might expect to be the worst of the lot (highest production rate, lowest quality control) is still capable of very good accuracy; not any sort of "sow's ear", IMO.

Adding a stock with removable magazines, upgrade trigger, and a scope mount is a very reasonable investment if you have a need or desire for long range shooting on a budget; this is almost varmint accuracy even without optics and with original Russian trigger and wood.

JeffinNZ
03-23-2013, 07:24 PM
I didn't say they could not shoot. I just think you can put a dress on a pig and it's still a pig. No offence intended. It wouldn't do if we are all the same.

I'll Make Mine
03-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Well, okay -- those of us at the lower end of the income scale might well be willing to put a dress on a pig, if the result can win at the local dance contest... :)

TheGrimReaper
03-26-2013, 10:41 AM
yea, I saw those. Looks perfect for the mullet headed trailer park commandos.

deces
03-26-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't think this is legal in kalifornia.

Josh Smith
03-28-2013, 02:16 AM
I'm thinking of advertising here. If I do, I'll post some of my articles for those interested. Suffice it to say, Mosins are inherently capable of better precision than many of its contemporaries, and, in Finnish form, are one of the most precise of WWII battle rifles, alongside Swiss and Swedish rifles...

Josh