PDA

View Full Version : Not about a rifle, but cartridges and how some people have luck

Hang Fire
03-20-2013, 03:48 PM
My neighbor has the time and money to roam several western state’s backcountry on his ATV, which he has been doing for years.

After a recent trip, he showed me his latest find, several 5 gallon buckets full of once fired Browning .50 MG LC 87 cartridges. He said those were just a few and there were many times more where he had found these in a remote desert area miles from any human habitation. He owns guns, but is not a gun nut and knows little about them as to history etc.. He thought they were from WW2 training, (local rumor was the army practiced in area during early 1940s) but said there were steel clips (links) piled up with them. When he said that, I knew they were of a more recent vintage and the LC 87 head stamp confirmed.

The brass is tarnished, but in good shape and I polished a couple up for him. He is going back to retrieve them all if they are still there and was going to sell them for scrap brass, I told him he might want to reconsider doing that. He said there was also many empty metal containers about 3” diameter x 24” long, which slipped together and locked up with a latch?

AmishWarlord
03-20-2013, 04:43 PM
LOL, dang, might as well have found piles of money and want to know where he could get the best price for recycled paper.

Hang Fire
03-20-2013, 05:42 PM
LC 87 is not WW2 brass - it is Lake City 1987 manufacture.

Uh, perhaps you should reread OP.

SciFiJim
03-21-2013, 01:24 AM
LOL, dang, might as well have found piles of money and want to know where he could get the best price for recycled paper.

No kidding. Found in the described condition, it is probably once fired. He needs to get the links as well.

nhrifle
03-21-2013, 01:43 AM
There just might be a market for it here on S&S

P.K.
03-21-2013, 05:34 AM
No kidding. Found in the described condition, it is probably once fired. He needs to get the links as well.

My thoughts as well.

As for the cans, I have a few thoughts, see if he can snap a pic or write down the nomenclature (description) from the sides. At a buck a case, he's found a nice "little" stash. ;)