PDA

View Full Version : Lee Slugs (Both 1 & 7/8) and .690 Round Ball

joeatact
03-20-2013, 03:11 PM
For the life of me I am unable to get a wad and these lee slugs (ball) to fit down my Mossberg 500 18" smooth Bore. Any Suggestions?

Joe

LUTNIT
03-20-2013, 03:45 PM
.690 RB needs a wad with very thin petals to fit. The vast majority of wads wont fit a 690 ball.

For 1oz Lee key drive slugs I use WAA12 (orange) and WAA12R (red) wads or the claybuster clone and they fit fine. The slug in the cup shouldn't slide down the barrel but should require a little force to move. Off the top of my head I think it's 7lbs or so to push it into the barrel.

joeatact
03-20-2013, 05:34 PM
.690 RB needs a wad with very thin petals to fit. The vast majority of wads wont fit a 690 ball.

For 1oz Lee key drive slugs I use WAA12 (orange) and WAA12R (red) wads or the claybuster clone and they fit fine. The slug in the cup shouldn't slide down the barrel but should require a little force to move. Off the top of my head I think it's 7lbs or so to push it into the barrel.

I can with difficulty push the .690 ball through with the WAA12R and Also the Blue Duster which is a WAA12 replacment. Sound Ok?

Joe

SuperBlazingSabots
03-20-2013, 05:37 PM
+1 for Lutnit's advise.
In order to get accuracy, you need a snug fit travelling down that whole barrel!

Make sure your barrel is not paper thin and if you can push it through with 6 to 12 lbs pressure you'll be ok with a modern gun .

Warmest regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com
www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...75489969155338

Cerberus62
03-20-2013, 09:54 PM
If you want to make this easy. for the .690 ball you want this Gualandi wad that Ballistic Products sells as the Light Brush Wad :http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Light-Brush-Wad-12ga-250_bag/productinfo/072LB12/

Precision Reloading also has it: http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRE&Product_Code=TUWGS12CL&Category_Code=WADS_GUALANDI

Loading is as easy as picking an appropriate safe powder charge for a 1 1/8 ounce load (my Lee .690's weigh in right at 485 grains), seat wad, drop in ball and roll or fold crimp. Done, and accuracy is good in all my smoothbores.

I don't use the Lee Drive Key slugs but I do load the Lyman Fosters at 475 grains. I use Lyman book data or loads for 1 1/8 shot. The Lyman slug is too tight in any wad I have tried so I usually cut off the petals and place one or two .125" hard card wads between the slug and wad for a firm base. A Winchester WA12 or clone with the petals removed and a card wad under the slug is perfect. Again, roll or fold crimp as you see fit.

If you have the WA12R red wad you can cut off the petals and add card or filler wads aand it works great. I have a lot of these and a couple bags of obsolete Hornady Versalite wads that are too short for modern cases. I use them for buckshot or slugs, sometimes cutting off the petals and sometimes just using the gas seal portion under card and fiber wads.

I also load the balls and slugs using a built up wad column with .125" nitro cards as overpowder gas seals, a 1/2" hard card wad or 1/2 fiber filler wad, all of this adjusted to get the proper height for a good crimp. If I use the fiber wads under the hollow base slug I will put a hard card on top for a firm base. For the round ball I don't as it seems upon firing the ball sets back into the softer fiber wad and is pretty well centered going down the bore.