PDA

View Full Version : 200 grain .45 load

docmagnum357
03-20-2013, 02:34 PM
I have recently started competing at a low level in IDPA type events. I am shooting a 5" 1911. I have a 200 grain LEE tumble lube 6 Cavity mold that I am not happy with. There is nothing wrong with the mold or the bullits it casts, but the tumble lube scrapes off and gums up the mold and my pistol. I am a Reloading instructor so it is pretty embarrassing to have a round not chamber and tie up the gun on the firing line. It is agrevating to have to wipe down each round with mineral spirits or something to keep the finished product clean.

I ordered a 200 grain swc from midway that is supposed to be a copy of the H&G 67 or 68...I forget. Anyway, it is famous as good bullet in .45 acp.

I wanted to run Bullseye, but I can't get any locally or on line. I had some Clays ordered from Graf's, but they were out. We made a deal to substitute Winchester 231. I am thinking I may be better off because ball powder has always meted dead nuts for me in the Lee Progressives. The only primers I could get were Wolf Lead free . I placed my order February 3rd, and just got it. I was GLAD TO GET IT, as everyone seems to be running a huge backlog.

Any tips for keeping progressive equipment clean when using cast? Is ther a way to avoid cleaning the finished round to get lube off of it? I would like to use a bullet feeder on the Lee Press but I am knd of afraid to try it becaue of getting the bullet feed tubes dirty and not bein able to to clean them.

I use Lyman bees wax and alox in the sizer, and a home made Liquid alox JPW concoction on the tumble lube bullets. Is there a home recipe that will leave the bore as shiny as JPW mixes and still be hard and not gunk up the press? I have tried dustng the lubed bullets with mica with some success.

Ideas, experience, etc about cast in progressive reloaders is what I am after. Thanks

Larry Gibson
03-20-2013, 04:34 PM
My standard IPSC/IDPA 45 ACP load has been a 195 - 205 gr SWC over 5 gr Bulleye for 40+ years. I also have been reloading my own cast bullets for as long. I used Javelina for years (close to the same as the lube you're using). In hot weather when the lube is soft or when loading in a progressive when the weather is warm I put the cast bullets (200 in a bunch) in the freexer for 30+ minutes. That keeps the lube hard enough when loading, particularly with a Dillon SDB or a 500B progressive press. Making sure the case mouth is belled sufficiently also helps keep the lube in the grooves. I recently switched to BAC lube for my 45 bullets and have not had any problems and don't have to "freezer" the bullets (it's been in the 80 - 90s here and I've loaded several hundred rounds w/o problem.

Larry Gibson

BD
03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
The vast majority of the .45 acps I shoot are H&G # 68s loaded over 5.4 grains of surplus 231, using Felix lube. I wipe them off and inspect them when I box them up. I'm loading on an old Pro-Jector which produces about 300 rounds/hr at a relaxed pace. I clean it up about once a year, and detail clean it about every five years. This load has made "Major" for me every time I happened on a match were they actually checked. I clean the pistol about every 700- 800 rounds, or whenever it seems starts to leave dirty marks on my t-shirt. YMMV
BD

docmagnum357
03-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Guys, That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I especially like the freezer idea. My meat freezers are across the room from the reload bench.

Kermit2
03-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Our old refrigerator sits just outside the door of my reloading room. I put bullets that I've sized and lubed in plastic Tupperware like containers and store them in the extra fridge. I get them out just before I load them. Keeps the lube just solid enough. The extra fridge is also a handy place to store ice cold frosty libations for AFTER the reloading session. Cheers!

cajun shooter
03-22-2013, 09:00 AM
I hot climates like Louisiana, you can't beat using White Label Carnuba Red with Clays powder for no smoke at all.
The lube you are using is the original NRA lube and although it works it is very smokey and gumy to use. Another good choice is making yourself some speed green. You use the Bullplate mould lube and BW and that is it.
If you have your own sizer besides the tumble lube mess, I'll send you some of the BAC to try. I add just a small amount of Carnuba Wax flakes and the barrel will shine like new. You will need a heater if you live in a cold climate. If so then just use the straight BAC.
I loaded some 38 spl for a new cowboy shooter and everyone wanted to know what my load was as they had no smoke. It's the Carnuba Red and Clays powder.

docmagnum357
03-22-2013, 09:26 PM
I ordered Clays, But Graf's was out of it. I was glad to replace it with 231 for a little more money. I have a Lyman sizer but i had to order a .452 die. Backordered at Midway, of course.

What you are describing is exactly what I am looking for. A load that doesn't smoke, leave the bore shiny, and doesn't break the bank. I would love to try some, although I am not sure what BAC is. I am also trying to develope a 9mm, 38 special, and .380 cast load that is well behaved.

RickinTN
03-22-2013, 11:21 PM
For BAC go to the bottom of the page and click on "Lsstuff". They sell BAC, Carnuba red, and other lubes. I've ordered once from them and service was fast. BAC is a relatively soft lube and doesn't require a heater.

OregonCaster
03-23-2013, 06:22 AM
I ordered Clays, But Graf's was out of it. I was glad to replace it with 231 for a little more money. I have a Lyman sizer but i had to order a .452 die. Backordered at Midway, of course.

What you are describing is exactly what I am looking for. A load that doesn't smoke, leave the bore shiny, and doesn't break the bank. I would love to try some, although I am not sure what BAC is. I am also trying to develope a 9mm, 38 special, and .380 cast load that is well behaved.

My Sig P220 will eat "Clays" all day long but W231 will work just fine as well.

dougader
03-23-2013, 01:14 PM
I've been suing WW231 since about 1986/87. It's a great powder, but it does smoke when used with cast bullets. When I first started IPSC I cast my own Lee TL 9mm bullets from straight wheel weights, sometimes water-dropped sometimes not.

I never had any leading but the liquid alox was sure smokey. I did have the Alox build up in my dies and in my gun but it wipes right off. Instead of tumble-lubing the bullets in the liquid alox I took a tip and started dipping the bullets - one at a time - in alox that was thinned with mineral spirits and the letting them dry on waxed paper. That cuts down on the mess in the dies and the feed ramp of your pistol.

I have heard that WST and Solo 1000 work well to cut down on the smoke with cast bullets, but have never tried it. I am still using my last keg of 231.

xacex
03-23-2013, 03:52 PM
6.5g of universal behind a 200 grain boolit lubed with 45/45/10 has given me the best accuracy, and cycling without gumming up my 1911. I tried several powders before settling on universal for that load. Mine average 905 fps. I have never competed in any event so I am not familiar with what power factor is, or what you may need as far as speed in those events. It is a crisp snap with this load, but not as bad as bullseye.