PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen. 1851 (made for) Colt..what's it worth ?

Throckmorton
03-20-2013, 01:02 PM
the gun appears unfired,but the 'silver' areas are flaking..the signature area,and the seriall no. area,so it's not NIB or unturned,etc.
It is my understanding that for a while,Colt would letter these Signature-series guns,and then they stopped doing so.Also called 3rd generation by most.
It does however appear unfired to my untrained eye,and that of a knowledgable fella at a blackpowder shop.

IT's in a carboard box marked Colt,no extras came with it,this is how I got it from an inheritance.

oh. the serial no. is unique but does not mean anything to me,and no one on the 'net has been able to tell me anything except that the company that made these for colt did one-off serial no's for customers. It is EB followed by a 3 digit number.

given this info can u folks give me an approximate value on the pistol ?'
thanks !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/Throckmorton/Gun%20pictures/Colt1851Navy_zpsda1d8d1e.jpg

Nobade
03-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Local gun shop has several for $500 - $600 but nobody seems to ever buy them. Might watch Gunbroker and see if they are actually selling.

-Nobade

OutHuntn84
03-21-2013, 08:02 AM
You seem like a nice guy. I will give ya $100.00 for it right now and take it off your hands :kidding:

Nobade
03-21-2013, 08:47 PM
I see Mike V. just did a good article about them in the newest Handgunner. He couldn't get his to shoot very well though.

-Nobade

Throckmorton
03-23-2013, 12:06 PM
NObade,was MV shooting Italian replicas,or the real thing..if this can be called the real thing,..made for Colt,in the USA,not sure where the parts came from tho on the Sig. series.

Nobade
03-23-2013, 12:26 PM
It looks just like yours. A Colt signature series, with the flask, mould, etc.

-Nobade

DLCTEX
03-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Uberti made some for Colt. Pietta made some but were not affiliated with Colt. Mine is marked -SAML COLT New York City- and has a 5 digit serial number with no letters. Left side of frame is marked Colts Patent. Pietta cylinders are slightly longer than the one in my gun. I think mine is a second generation. The grip frame on mine is silver plated and tarnishes like Sterling silver does. Barrel and cylinder have an excellent blue and the other parts are color case hardened like the pictured gun.