PDA

View Full Version : Back to my childhood

Jim
03-20-2013, 12:57 PM
or 'Easily amused''

or 'More fun than you can get a permit for!'

Actually, any of those titles would be applicable.

Janet had some errands to run to Christiansburg and visit with her Mom for awhile, so I stayed home to catch up on a 'honey do' list. I got eveything caught up so I broke out my new Ruger .177 air rifle.

There's a shepherd's hook plant hanger stuck in the ground in the back yard and I figured that would be a good place to hang a can. I poked a hole in an old tomato can, popped open my folding camp chair and settled in with the Ruger and a can of pellets.

This is the kind of stuff we need to do more often. Once in awhile, we need to forget about BHN, lubricity, chamber pressure, ES, meplat effect on wound channel and stuff like that. Sometimes, we need to go back to our childhood.

I had forgotten how much fun it is to rattle a tomato can with a pellet rifle at 50 or so feet. I'd stay and discuss this with y'all longer, but I'm goin' back out on the deck an' shoot my rifle some more.

oldred
03-20-2013, 01:03 PM
That reminds me, I got a couple of cans that need killin!!

shdwlkr
03-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Jim
I remember when you could buy a firearm with just cash no paper work and ammo all you could carry again for cash.
Folks didn't lock vehicles or home for that matter
In the back window of almost every truck there was at least one firearm sometimes more and sometimes even a fishing pole horror of horrors.
I remember when it was safe to walk around town in the dark no less as there were few street lights they were 500-1000 feet apart.
I remember when the flag passed not one sole didn't have their hand over their heart or their head bowed.
the birth of my kids who now want nothing to do with dad
pets over the years lost one last year that had been with me for 20 years a cat that was a true companion
the many different dogs I have had over a life time and how each one has been interesting

Then I remember some not so good things
being spit on by my fellow countrymen and women
having garbage thrown at me again by my fellow countrymen and women
being called a baby killer
Being part of a military funeral detail
seeing guys that had been damaged by war and some that didn't want to live anymore
Yes there are many memories some good and some not so good

Fun memories
shooting tin cans, sod clumps, woodchucks, walking in the fields of the farmer I worked for when no one was around and enjoying the peace and quite
learning to reload from my cousin and best friend, I miss him dearly as we could talk about anything
Some of silly stunts we did growing up
like spreading manure on the main street on Halloween one year, got me banned from enjoying Halloween by the boss and my parents who acted upset but could hardly keep from laughing

foesgth
03-20-2013, 05:24 PM
When I take my grandkids can hunting we save the cans. Put a tea candle in the "holy" can and it is a great patio light for their Moms. Just in case Janet needs a get well present.

km101
03-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Really makes me wish I was back in the country in E. Texas! Can't do things like that here in town. I really miss being able to shoot off the porch or listening to the quail in the evening.

OeldeWolf
03-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Eating a fresh rabbit for dinner, fresh cause we had raised it.
tree ripened apricots right off the tree, warm from the sun.
ditto for peaches and plums.
Putting together a work bench in the patio room to airbrush on, from materials scrounged all over town...
the sound of a little 1/2A motor on a control line model airplane I was flying..
picking blackberries from the patch by my grandmother's house, or mulberries from the trees in the backyard in MO..

missionary5155
03-21-2013, 03:15 AM
Good morning
Walking to school through the orchards and munching a yellow delicious apple or a pear.
Listening to three beagles work out a trail while standing on a bluff overlooking the Paw Paw River waiting on that fox to come slinking along the river bank.
Floating that same river in a Grumman canoe with no place to go and plenty of time to get there.
Thanks Oeldewolf.. near forgot how many hours of Cox .049 hours we had going around in circles trying to keep our latest idea in the air.
Any tried a mullberry pie ?
Mike in Peru

Olevern
03-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Gotta extra camp chair, Jim?

firefly1957
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Great idea it is always fun to shoot the airgun even thought it is a bit cold yet . Last year on March 20 we hit 84 degrees this year the high was a below normal 24* the news is totally ignoring it! Last year it was all gloom and doom over global warming.