PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 45 ACP on a Dillon RL550B using "Clays"

OregonCaster
03-20-2013, 02:03 AM
I was reloading some 45 ACP on my RCBS single stage press, currently waiting on some accessories from Dillon in order to get
my RL550B up and running. During my reloading session it seemed at times "difficult" for the RBCS Uniflow powder dispenser to throw a consistent charge of 3.8 grains of "Clays". I love using "Clays" in my 45 ACP reloads but was wondering if I'm going to have to find a different powder. Anyone out there using Clays in their RL550B press having this issue I hope not because my Sig P220 will eat that powder up.

Alvarez Kelly
03-20-2013, 03:31 AM
I reload 38 Specials on a 550 using Clays all the time. It meters just fine using the small powder bar. It shouldn't be a problem with the bigger 45 powder funnel.

davegalesr
03-20-2013, 03:54 AM
I had the same problem with my RCBS - it does not seem to like the flake powder. I bought a Lee Perfect Powder for cheap money and use it just for the Clays - it works flawlessly.

45 acp
03-20-2013, 06:07 AM
I use clays and bullseye in an old dillon 450 for 45acp with no trouble.

bear67
03-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I have used Clays and Universal Clays in a Dillon for years--have both the older powder measures and the newer twin arm one.

Walt
03-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Dillon measures do well with Clays for me. You should have no problem.

Stork
03-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Dillon measures do well with Clays for me. You should have no problem.

Ditto,
I've run 30K or so of H&G 130's with 3.5-3.8 of clays with my 550.
Al

jmorris
03-20-2013, 04:25 PM
While I don't use the 550 for 45, all of the dillon measures except the SD interchange and they all use the same powder bars. Loaded for 45 using Clays for years.

From the first batch to the ones I shot last weekend, have all been fine.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20130316_164252_112_zps76b5a53d.jpg

slide
03-20-2013, 04:49 PM
You might pull the powder bar and make sure it has no trash in it. It happens. Some guys polish so the powder will flow better. I have problems with Unique and found the suggestion on this site to tape an fish tank bubbler to the powder funnel. Works great. the vibration keeps the powder moving.

375RUGER
03-20-2013, 09:02 PM
I've put a lot of clays and universal clays through my Dillon powder measure with narry a problem

btroj
03-20-2013, 10:03 PM
My 550B doesn't have trouble with Clays at all, I use the stock Dillon measure.

r1kk1
03-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Same here for my 550. No problem.

Take care

r1kk1

OregonCaster
03-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the reply there fellas, yesterday I pulled the small powder bar off and rubbed some "Flitz" on it and then reassembled it, I figured it couldn't hurt only help.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the reply there fellas, yesterday I pulled the small powder bar off and rubbed some "Flitz" on it and then reassembled it, I figured it couldn't hurt only help.

Next time, go ahead and polish the funnel portion of the measure as well. It'll help the flow as well. The more stuff you polish, the smoother things get during operation.

As an aside, the Lee measures and the Dillon measures tend to handle spherical shaped powders better and the Hornady & RCBS measures tend to do better with larger powders and extruded powders. Again, all the measures work better/best with some fine tuning.

LUBEDUDE
03-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I load 45 ACP on my 550 using Clays with a Dillon Powder Measure.

Throckmorton
03-21-2013, 01:46 PM
keeping the hopper full always helps with flake powders.I also use clays for 45acp,and every time I check,it's right on unless the measure is below half full.

Mike Kerr
03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
I have used the Dillon 550 powder measure, with small bar, Clays, for 45ACP for years. It works very well.
I read every post in this thread and they contain a few tips which are helpful if any one needs to "fine tune" their 550/clays load for power factor qualification.

regards,
:smile::smile::smile:

OregonCaster
03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Next time, go ahead and polish the funnel portion of the measure as well. It'll help the flow as well. The more stuff you polish, the smoother things get during operation.

As an aside, the Lee measures and the Dillon measures tend to handle spherical shaped powders better and the Hornady & RCBS measures tend to do better with larger powders and extruded powders. Again, all the measures work better/best with some fine tuning.

I did polish the powder funnel while I was at it but thanks for the advise.

W.R.Buchanan
03-22-2013, 06:09 PM
So are you trying to use the RCBS PM on your Dillon 550B or are you using a Dillon measure?

You shouldn't have any problems with getting the Dillon measure to run that powder easily.

The RCBS is another matter as it doesn't work the same way and doesn't get jarred around like the Dillon one does.

The up and down clunking motion of the Dillon helps to seat/fill the powder charge in the charge bar, insuring complete filling on the charge bar everytime.

AS long as it is somewhat clean it will function perfectly for a long time.

I love all of mine (3ea) and even run an old one on my PW Metal Matic II for loading .223's.

Randy

seagiant
03-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi,
Hmmmmm....... That Met II looks familiar??? Nice set up Randy!

I love reloading rifle ammo on mine!

OregonCaster
03-23-2013, 06:05 AM
So are you trying to use the RCBS PM on your Dillon 550B or are you using a Dillon measure?

You shouldn't have any problems with getting the Dillon measure to run that powder easily.

The RCBS is another matter as it doesn't work the same way and doesn't get jarred around like the Dillon one does.

The up and down clunking motion of the Dillon helps to seat/fill the powder charge in the charge bar, insuring complete filling on the charge bar everytime.

AS long as it is somewhat clean it will function perfectly for a long time.

I love all of mine (3ea) and even run an old one on my PW Metal Matic II for loading .223's.

Randy

No I was reloading 45 ACP on my single stage RCBS press and I'm currently was on some other things and then get my Dillon RL550 up and running but like I stated some times while throwing a powder charge using the RCBS Uniflow it seemed very "Challenging" at times and my concern was in using "Clays" would I encounter the same "Challenges" ie.. a consistent powder charge of 3.8 grains at times it seems that I wasn't able to get a consistent "Feel" when I charged the case, makes sense there my friend. But I thank you for the response

ChuckS1
03-23-2013, 06:18 AM
I concur with the previous poster who said to keep the hopper at least half full, if not more. I use the same charge for my bullseye load and get consistent loads that way. BTW, I grew up in Stayton, went to college in Eugene. Go Ducks! :)

OregonCaster
03-23-2013, 06:47 AM
I concur with the previous poster who said to keep the hopper at least half full, if not more. I use the same charge for my bullseye load and get consistent loads that way. BTW, I grew up in Stayton, went to college in Eugene. Go Ducks! :)

Chuck thanks for the reply, actually I grew up in Keizer but live in Salem now.

OregonCaster
04-18-2013, 03:23 AM
Well I finally got my bench made and reloaded 100 rounds of 45 ACP and everything that has been stated in this thread is true the "Clays" powder flowed flawlessly through the powder measurer with no problem and it was consistent at 3.7 grains of "Clays". Now it's off to the range for some "THERAPY".

W.R.Buchanan
04-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Sounds like you got it figured out. Good job!

I assume you like it ,,,lots!

Randy