PDA

View Full Version : I suppose I'll have to get an Israeli Mauser now.

Four Fingers of Death
08-06-2005, 09:01 AM
I know a guy who doesn't shoot anymore, he couldn't be bothered updating his license when the new laws came in. He was a Saturday afternoon target shooter and obviously not very committed to shooting. As soon as it got a bit tough, he walked away from the sport. His loss. He used to shoot a 308 target rifle (Palma style) and apparently used ex mil ammo as he didn't reload.

He sold the rifle and ammo, etc together, but forgot about a case of 1000 new 1988 made 7.62 F4 (made under contract for the Aussie army). He told me to drop around and he would give me the ammo he had left. I expected a few boxes of ex mil stuff. When he came staggering out of his shed with this case my eyes lit up I can tell you.

It is berdan primed non corrosive stuff. He said that he had used the best part of another crate and it was accurate enough in his rifle. I suppose I will use it for Military Service Rifle competition. Gonna be strange not picking up the empties though.

Any Aussies out there with an Israeli mauser they don't want?
Mick.

Ed Barrett
08-08-2005, 12:59 AM
Looks like the gods of fate smiled on you today. Congrats on your good luck.

Logan
08-08-2005, 05:03 AM
Mick,
that's quite a haul that you made ($500 odd?)

The Lithgow Small Arms Rifle Club have a combined (NSWRA affiliated) service rifle/field class shoot twice a month.

Four Fingers of Death
08-10-2005, 08:04 AM
Mick,
that's quite a haul that you made ($500 odd?)

The Lithgow Small Arms Rifle Club have a combined (NSWRA affiliated) service rifle/field class shoot twice a month.

I was a member there in 1999, but as soon as I joined, work moved me on. When do they shoot it? I have always had trouble making the early Saturday afternoon shoots as I work most weekends.

Logan
08-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Mick,
we must have run into each other at some stage.

I got my first (rimfire field class) trophy there in 1998. Was Captain for a while, when we gave up a weekend to SSAA/Corrective Services.

The field class centrefire and service rifle is Sunday afternoons.

More than welcome to come across and play, we've got a couple of service rifle people (if I find a heavy barrelled Lithgow, I'll be one of them)...$135 p.a. is the fees at present, no daily fees. We shoot .22s as well.

Four Fingers of Death
08-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Mick,
we must have run into each other at some stage.

I got my first (rimfire field class) trophy there in 1998. Was Captain for a while, when we gave up a weekend to SSAA/Corrective Services.

The field class centrefire and service rifle is Sunday afternoons.

More than welcome to come across and play, we've got a couple of service rifle people (if I find a heavy barrelled Lithgow, I'll be one of them)...$135 p.a. is the fees at present, no daily fees. We shoot .22s as well.

What time kick off on Sunday? I'm at Muswellbrook, but might be back at bathurst soon.

Four Fingers of Death
09-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I have a Beretta sxs shotgun which needs a bit of money spent on it to use properly in Cowboy Action and the Bbls are too long anyway (i owes me $A295, so I swapped it for an Israeli Mauser, an Eddystone M17 Action with the ears ground off, a Central sight plate, a set of Central isghts with an adjustable iris (bit rough) and a Canjar trigger and a semi finished stock for a 98 Mauser.

Strangely enough I owned the 98 previously. I gave it to a friend who was on the ropes financially and had sold his guns and couldn't afford to shoot. I think I have him some brass etc as well. I wanted to help him get on his feet again and he was keen to join us in shooting military service rifle matches. The rifle lookd like it hadn't been fired since being converted to an Israeli. It was based on 1944 Oberndorf action and was parkerised. Very nice.

Despite its desirability in its standard form, he immediately filed the lip of the charger clip feeder down and dried and tapped the reciever for a scope and cut the forend tip off at a 45degree angle between the bayonet boss and the forend Bbl band. He wanted to try target shooting with it the dill.

The next owner tried to reattech the forend using screws and nails, so, it looks a bit rough up front, but is stil essentially a 'new' rifle.

I'm looking forward to using it.