PDA

View Full Version : Help on custom grips for a Freedom Arms 97

eldon519
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Hello all, I have lurked on here and benefited in the past from all the info onboard. Usually pre-existing threads answer most of my questions, but I do not know what to do with my FA97.

The gun is a .45 Colt with the 4.25" barrel and micarta grips, standard shape. For whatever reason, I can barely hang onto this gun with any of the Ruger loads. One of the major factors for that is how slick the micarta grips are, but I also don't get the feeling that they fit me well. Even though they are "not supposed to", this gun rolls on me hard and cuts up the web of my hand despite the grip shape. I have tried holding it high, low, and normal on the grip, but anything short of a full-force death grip will cut me before half a box is through.

Regarding the possibility of custom grips, (and I guess the main thing I hope to learn) is how do I tell if the current grips are a bad fit for me or not? I don't think I like the slimming of the micarta from top to bottom regarding the thickness of the panels (grip width), but I am not sure if I would rather have it fatter at the top, skinnier or the bottom, or some mix of the two. I know some of the better grip makers like Scott Kolar have you send in a drawing of your hand. Does anyone know what these guys are looking for to size your new panels? I'm thinking that if perhaps I knew how the grip was supposed to fit, maybe I could determine myself if a custom grip could fit any better than what I have now. Basically see if there is any room for improvement.

I wear a Medium or Large glove, but I guess I have never considered myself to have large hands as they are pretty bony, but somehow the FA97 grip still feels a little small to me. I still like the gun, but I was hoping to be able to feed it longer sessions with hard loads. I am not a big-bore, big-recoil afficianado or anything, but I have shot all the way up the Hodgdon data to the 360s in my .45 Ruger Bisley without any real problems.

Hickory
03-19-2013, 06:01 PM
First off, the Freedom Arms 97 has a smaller frame then the original Colts. And probably should not use Ruger loads in it.
Second, if Ruger loads were and/are your goal they might be best suited in a Ruger.

I understand that with modern steel the gun may handle it, but for how long.

You can do what you feel is right for you and the gun, but that's a lot of money gone if it comes unglued.

Tatume
03-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Brian Pierce wrote in Handloadler magazine that FA told him that Ruger loads are satisfactory in the 45 Colt Model 97. That said, I was uncomfortable anyway, which is one of the reasons (of several) why I got mine in 41 Rem Mag. For one thing, many Ruger loads utilize longer than standard overall cartridge length. The cylinder on the Model 97 is short, and requires that ammo be loaded to factory OAL. That alone will tend to raise pressures, so be careful with Ruger-only data in the Model 97.

When I shoot my Model 97 (which also has the black micarta grips) I wear a glove. Thin work gloves from the local Tractor Supply, Southern States, or Wal Mart are quite satisfactory, and take all of the discomfort out of shooting full-house 41 magnum loads with 240 gr bullets.

Herrett's might make a grip for you. I think it would look out of place on the Model 97, but who cares? The proof is in the pudding, and beauty is as beauty does.

Take care, Tom

Norbrat
03-19-2013, 07:29 PM
The general consensus seems to be that the Model 97 is just as strong as a Ruger.

As for grips; there is a thread about the same question http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?137778-grips-for-freedom-arms-revolvers&highlight=revolver+grip

incuding the usual flame war which starts whenever FA is mentioned :-?

If you are handy and want to have a go at making your own, some tips here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?137778-grips-for-freedom-arms-revolvers&highlight=revolver+grip

You may also be able to get Herrett make something for you. http://www.herrett-stocks.com/

L Ross
03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
First off, the Freedom Arms 97 has a smaller frame then the original Colts. And probably should not use Ruger loads in it.
Second, if Ruger loads were and/are your goal they might be best suited in a Ruger.

I understand that with modern steel the gun may handle it, but for how long.

You can do what you feel is right for you and the gun, but that's a lot of money gone if it comes unglued.

Yup they are smaller, but they are five shot cylinders so.......also the bolt notches aren't over the thin part. But at 38 oz. I find 20 gr of 4227 and a 250 gr. bullet to be about as much fun as I enjoy.

Duke

eldon519
03-20-2013, 08:03 AM
All, I thank you for your concern regarding the load suitability. I have based my decision regarding Ruger loads off of what Freedom Arms has indicated, however, and consequently, I am really not concerned about that subject.

Also, I am aware of custom stock makers such as Herrett and Scott Kolar and so forth. I guess more concisely I could have asked, is there a way you can measure to tell if grips "fit" you or not? I know how it feels in your hand is a big indicator for one, but what I am hoping to grasp is whether are not my current grips are already suited for me on paper. If I send my hand tracing to one of these grip makers, they will make the grips to the measurements of my hand, but for all I know, my current grips already match the measurements of my hand, so before I send the grip frame off, I'd like to try to determine if there actually is room for improvement which is why I am curious to know what these people like Herrett and SK Grips do with your hand tracing to fit it to your grips. If I knew the methodology, perhaps I could measure and check myself whether there appears to be room for improvement for the grip to my hand.

Ed K
03-20-2013, 09:16 AM
I do understand your question but cannot answer it. I also acknowledge the level of loads you may be using will likely result in no harm to the gun. However I think the real answer may lie somewhere in between. Basically I view the "cockpit" on that gun somewhat cramped for someone with larger hands. I noted that the trigger reach was short hence the trigger guard close, the radius of the Bisley curve tight and the circumference of the grip frame small. I sure this is exacerbated with heavier loads. I cannot appreciate how all these factors could be overcome simply with a change in grips.

Naphtali
03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Hello all, I have lurked on here and benefited in the past from all the info onboard. Usually pre-existing threads answer most of my questions, but I do not know what to do with my FA97.

The gun is a .45 Colt with the 4.25" barrel and micarta grips, standard shape. For whatever reason, I can barely hang onto this gun with any of the Ruger loads. One of the major factors for that is how slick the micarta grips are, but I also don't get the feeling that they fit me well. Even though they are "not supposed to", this gun rolls on me hard and cuts up the web of my hand despite the grip shape. I have tried holding it high, low, and normal on the grip, but anything short of a full-force death grip will cut me before half a box is through.

Regarding the possibility of custom grips, (and I guess the main thing I hope to learn) is how do I tell if the current grips are a bad fit for me or not? I don't think I like the slimming of the micarta from top to bottom regarding the thickness of the panels (grip width), but I am not sure if I would rather have it fatter at the top, skinnier or the bottom, or some mix of the two. I know some of the better grip makers like Scott Kolar have you send in a drawing of your hand. Does anyone know what these guys are looking for to size your new panels? I'm thinking that if perhaps I knew how the grip was supposed to fit, maybe I could determine myself if a custom grip could fit any better than what I have now. Basically see if there is any room for improvement.

I wear a Medium or Large glove, but I guess I have never considered myself to have large hands as they are pretty bony, but somehow the FA97 grip still feels a little small to me. I still like the gun, but I was hoping to be able to feed it longer sessions with hard loads. I am not a big-bore, big-recoil afficianado or anything, but I have shot all the way up the Hodgdon data to the 360s in my .45 Ruger Bisley without any real problems.

I own two Freedom Arms M97 45 Colts. Freedom Arms specifically warrants M97s to accept the same pressure that Ruger's Blackhawk accepts. What you must be aware of is that maximum overall cartridge lengths differ. If you need loading data, I can furnish some of mine.

Regarding grips, among the easy ways to test whether your difficulty is slippage are:
1. Wear a non-padded handball glove or golf glove when shooting. If this controls slippage, problem solved.

2. If problem remains, remove grip panels and have their exterior surfaces sandblasted (rougher texture than bead blasting). Shoot. If this controls slippage, problem solved.

3. If problem remains, polish blasting away. This will reduce grip size slightly. Shoot. If this controls slippage, problem solved.
4. You can have Freedom Arms or custom grip maker create a grip set to your specifications. Although this is very expensive, having tried the quick-and-dirty fixes unsuccessfully, you will have near certainty what grip shape, what grip dimensions you need.

Note: There are no off-the-shelf Freedom Arms M97 grip sets.

Hope this helps.

eldon519
03-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Naphtali,

I appreciate your advice, and you have presented a very logical process to work through the situation without throwing money around without much idea of whether it will resolve things or not.

Just out of curiousity, do either of your revolvers have the laminated grips? If so, are they as slick as the micarta if you have any to compare against? I know some varnish-like finishes tend to get a little tacky when wet/sweaty which could help. Sweat is one of the factors that seems to limit how long I can control it before it starts the slipping, rolling, and cutting. I have to squeeze it so hard and exert such focus that my hands begin to sweat which is not helpful at all with Micarta.

Anyhow, I will try to pick up some gloves over the weekend and give things a whirl over the weekend or next week as I have some time off work.

2 dogs
03-21-2013, 10:56 AM
While I might say you might be pushing your FA97 a bit harder than intended, if you need a set of oversize stocks, you might try Blu Magnum grips by Tedd Adamovitch. I have seen a set he did for Bob Baker on a FA83 that were very nice. Keep in mind custom stock like that will likely start around 300 bucks, but hey, its a FA.

greenrivers
03-22-2013, 07:41 AM
I just finished a set of grips for my 83 that help me with midle knuckle cutting from the trigger guard. If you are creative, you can do the same and cure your issues quite easily. Try using some friction tape on your grips to remove some of the taper from the grips before making new. Remember that taper was designed to help cause role and reduce recoil, so a bit less taper may be all you need. I have also found that bone and antler have a sticky grip that also helps. I use it on two of my single actions for the same reason.
Hope this helps.