PDA

View Full Version : Just joined the club! My first Hamilton pocket watch.

WILCO
03-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Purchased from a trusted source for under $100.00. The mechanicals were refurbished recently, but the porcelain face has two minor cracks. It's a 17 jewel movement, so that makes it "Mid Grade". I'm very happy with my purchase. I've ordered a watch chain that will enable me to wear it off of a belt. Doing some research on the serial number to see what else I can learn. Sure wish this thing could talk.

WILCO
03-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Turns out, my watch was made in 1921. w0w!!

shooter93
03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
And here I though pocket watches were all that was made.

Recluse
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Congrats, Wilco.

By the way, that discussion you started on pocket watches inspired me to take my grandfather's pocket watch, set it and begin carrying it. Everytime I pull it out to check the time, not only do I get the time, but I get a lot of memories.

Can't beat that.

:coffee:

missionary5155
03-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Greetings
More than 55 yeras ago my grandfather showed me his PW and that ruined my for life. Been a happy user since I bought my first in the Army. Had to have a personal watch so I went to the PX in Baumholder and bought me a PW. The sarge was not real happy at next day formation.. I guess he figured everyone would have a wrist thing.
Mike in Peru

s1120
03-19-2013, 08:52 PM
My grandfather died when I was 7. My mom kept two of his old pocket watches, and they sat in a draw for many years. She had them repaired, and gave one to me about ten years ago. I don't carry it a lot, but will trsure it forever!!

gbrown
03-19-2013, 09:11 PM
I ran across my dad's Elgin summer of 2012 and had it cleaned and the crystal replaced. The serial # indicates it was made in 1913. I'm sure he bought it from someone who needed some money back in the '30s. He wore it from the '30s until the late '50s when wrist watches became cheaper. Still works just fine. I don't use it, but will if I find the old leather strap and fob that he used. Around here someplace, just got to figure out where that place is. LOL

WILCO
03-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Congrats, Wilco.

By the way, that discussion you started on pocket watches inspired me to take my grandfather's pocket watch, set it and begin carrying it. Everytime I pull it out to check the time, not only do I get the time, but I get a lot of memories.

Can't beat that.

:coffee:

Thanks Recluse! Glad to hear of the grandfather's watch being back in the lineup.

winelover
03-22-2013, 12:19 PM
My Grandfather's Waltham watch, who died before I was born. Serial # is 873XXX2, appreciate it, if anyone can provide a date when it was made. I added the chain with the Case Stag "Peanut" knife.

Winelover

WILCO
03-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Serial # is 873XXX2, appreciate it, if anyone can provide a date when it was made.

According to this website, it was made in 1898.

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/waltham.html

Scroll down the page until you get to the production dates, be sure to use the serial number on the movement (the works) of the watch. Do not use the serial number from the case.

winelover
03-23-2013, 08:02 AM
According to this website, it was made in 1898.

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/waltham.html

Scroll down the page until you get to the production dates, be sure to use the serial number on the movement (the works) of the watch. Do not use the serial number from the case.

Wilco, Thanks for the info.

Winelover

WILCO
03-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Wilco, Thanks for the info.

Winelover

You're welcome! Glad I could help. :)