PDA

View Full Version : Walther P-38 Questions

birch
03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
I recently took a gun down to one of the few gunsmiths in Michigan who do a good job at drilling and tapping Mauser receivers. While I was waiting to talk to the smith, I noticed a P-38 in the case. It caught my attention mostly because it had metal grips instead of the bakelite looking grips on most p-38's I have seen. He had $400.00 on it and since I have never owned a WWII P-38, I put it on layaway.
I know guns, but I am not an expert in WWII German guns. I was hoping a Walther guru could give me an idea of what I had as far as history and value.
The gun is in excellent condition with a really nice blueing that looks to be original. It has SVW 45 marks on a few different places including the slide and frame. The serial number is 1254G and all the serial numbers match on the frame and slide. It has German waffanampts on the slide and frame. It also has a star on the right side next to an eagle over waa 135. On the left side of the frame it has a stamp that looks like a clover leaf and it also has "BH" stamped as well. From what I can tell, the grips are not numbered. The barrel block also has an eagle over waa135.
There seems to be conflicting information on the internet. If anyone has any written in stone information on the history of the pistol as well as the approximate value a feller would expect to pay if he saw one sitting on a gunshow table, It would be appreciated.

Thanks alot.

Armand
03-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Please understand, that I am NOT the greatest P 38 expert there is. Usually, a gun made as late in WW II as yours, wonīt have the best finish or quality.

I think yourīs was made by Spreewerke of Berlin, again, not the best quality.

The "BH" means it was used in the Austrian "Bundesheer" after the war.

Plus: canīt be worst quality made, as it was accepted.

Minus: additional wear.

Lots of it, if not somewhere in storage.

It should have a steel frame.

Still, the slide is only good for 10 K rounds, Iīve been told.

The grip angle is not the best for shooting.

If you buy it, understand itīs a collectors piece.

This is neither a Go To gun, nor a plinker.

just my 2 cts, YMMV, Hermann

uscra112
03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
I paid $400 for a decent-looking post-war aluminum frame model a few years ago. That was way too much. This design has some historical interest, in that it was the first DA-to-SA semi-auto to see wide manufacture, but it is sadly fragile in a number of ways. Extractors simply detach themselves from the slide and disappear. The fix is a new slide. The firing pin block is known to break, and let the decocker fire the pistol. One key spring in the trigger linkage is not available anywhere (just ask me how I know!). Mine shoots patterns, not groups, and proved very sensitive to what ammo I fed it. I finally worked up my own load, which got me ammo that it would digest reliably, but I'd still expect 20% clean misses on a dinner-plate target at anything over 10-15 yards. I'd sell it for $100, but I'd feel guilty about it afterward so I won't.

One of my LGS has a steel frame model in his case for $350. It is in better shape than mine, but I still would not buy it except as a curiosity.

But then I'm more of a revolver guy, anyway. YMMV

Ragnarok
03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Sonds like a French made Mauser..'Grey Ghost' to me...made after the French got possesion of the Mauser factory and started pumping out P38 pistols for themselves...better check it out for what it is and get it

Blanket
03-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I paid $400 for a decent-looking post-war aluminum frame model a few years ago. That was way too much. This design has some historical interest, in that it was the first DA-to-SA semi-auto to see wide manufacture, but it is sadly fragile in a number of ways. Extractors simply detach themselves from the slide and disappear. The fix is a new slide. The firing pin block is known to break, and let the decocker fire the pistol. One key spring in the trigger linkage is not available anywhere (just ask me how I know!). Mine shoots patterns, not groups, and proved very sensitive to what ammo I fed it. I finally worked up my own load, which got me ammo that it would digest reliably, but I'd still expect 20% clean misses on a dinner-plate target at anything over 10-15 yards. I'd sell it for $100, but I'd feel guilty about it afterward so I won't.

One of my LGS has a steel frame model in his case for $350. It is in better shape than mine, but I still would not buy it except as a curiosity.

But then I'm more of a revolver guy, anyway. YMMV Heck I will give you $125 for it and you can be guilt free. Russ

Char-Gar
03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
hummm...I have had several P-38s over the years both Nazi steel frame and post war alloy frame. They all ran just fine, shot just fine and never hand any breakage of any kind. I put three or four thousand round through all of them.

MtGun44
03-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Clearly big differences in how these were made.
Don't know about the WW2 model of the OP, but related to the problems with the design --
My P1 alloy with cross hex pin is reliable and reasonably accurate with factory Jbullets or
my 120L TC handloads. Now, I probably don't have more than 500 rds through it, so that
is not an exhaustive test, but a nice SA trigger and very workable DA trigger, good sights
and I was fairly impressed that it was a decent design.

Bill

missionary5155
03-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Greetings
Got my first P1 (Manhuren) back in the early 80's when they were being imported by Interarms and others. Came with two mags and the holster. Still have it. This is a aloy frame model.
Only bad I heard about them was to be sure the recoil springs did not permit the slide to slam all the way back as this would crack the slide. Mine has at least several thousand cast boolits through it. The Lee 125 grain pb and most likely pushed by enough Unique to make it cycle right.
My two sons grew up shooting it a bunch along with a Inland Carbine.
I am not a 9mm enthusiist at all but I do like the P-38 system. Mauser has always been ahead of the pack with unique designs that work.
Mike in Peru

Blanket
03-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Believe it or not I am NOT a 9mm fan. I have been lucky enough to have owned and shot many great pistols. Clark and Les Baer 1911's, classic Smith and Wesson wheelguns such as 1955 Targets, Registered 357's, K38's, 44 Specials 21 &24's, High Standard Victors, 41 and 52 Smiths, Woodsmans, and the list goes on. Have had or still do Lugers, Highpowers, Radom's, 1911's, Sig's, S&W's, Kel Tecs, in 9mm and the P38 is still my favorite. I shoot a P1 alot with handloads and have no regrets or fears. And in answer as to how many rounds they will take I try to shoot about 50 rounds a day and have my own range in the back yard, can't tell you since I have yet to have a problem Russ

MtGun44
03-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Missionary - Educate me, please. What does Mauser have to do with the Walther P-38 design? I
assume that somehow they got tangled up in the development, but I have never
heard of it.

Bill

Ragnarok
03-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Walther designed the P38 and made it before and during WWII...Mauser had made P08 Lugers up until 1942 or so...then switched to P38 production...Spreewerk started making P38 pistols about the same time.

P38 pistols with steel grips and French stars need to be bought!!

Jal5
03-22-2013, 04:18 PM
check out this site for the most P38 info I have ever seen.
http://www.p38forum.com/