PDA

View Full Version : Not quite sure exactly where to post this subject...

jdgabbard
03-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Ok guys, I've got something I'm trying to do. And I think it is worth it. But haven't gotten ANY bites. So I figured I'd put the idea out there for you guys to evaluate, and see if you think it is worth it.

I have decided I want a Lever Action in .45LC so bad my legs twitch. I couldn't really care if it was a Rossi, Henry, Marlin or Winchester. But it HAS to be a lever, and I really want it in .45LC because I already have LC/ACP dies and suitable molds. Going to a .44mag would require me to tool up again. And I don't want to have to do that. I don't care if it is a stainless, or a blued gun. Either works for me. Now there is a gentleman in my area that has a Rossi in 44mag that he is wanting to get rid of. But it's just not a .45LC. And I'd think he'd be open to what I have in mind for a trade.

Now what I have in mind for a trade is actually highly sought at the moment, and without scare buying, I value the two guns close to the same price. I have a Norinco SKS, with a Butler Creek Monte Carlo Stock, a chinese 20rd factory magazine, it has the Tech Sights rear M16A1 type sight, a receiver cover with a integral scope rail, and for giggles a 75rd drum.

Now in the current market, these are going for about 400-500 easy. You throw in the 250-300 of addons, and you easily have a $600-700 rifle. However, I've gotten NO bites. I think ACTUAL value of the rifle and addons is closer to 400-600 in the REAL market. Which is about the value of the typical lever gun in .45LC. Is this trade not a fair one? The rifle is in good condition. I can't understand why I'm not getting any real inquiries. I've had one offer to buy outright. And another to trade a EMF .45 Revolving Carbine. But I am specifically looking for a lever gun.

Nobade
03-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Perhaps fans of each style rifle are not the same person? What I mean is folks who are into SKS rifles may not own a levergun and owners of leverguns wouldn't want an SKS? You may have a difficult time making this swap, or you may run into just the right person.

-Nobade

SciFiJim
03-20-2013, 12:15 AM
If there is difficulty trading it straight across, it might be easier to to a three corner deal by turning the SKS into cash and then turning the cash into the lever rifle that you want. It would give you more room to maneuver for just the rifle that you want.

wellfedirishman
03-20-2013, 02:06 AM
Anything 'tactical' (read SKS, AR, AK, etc.) is selling like hot cakes on Gunbroker. Like folks above said, convert the SKS into cash, purchase the lever you want. Easy.

Also, the Levergun crowd tends to be different from the Tactical crowd. Same concept, just off about 50-60 years historically.

xacex
03-20-2013, 02:08 AM
I saw a sks all decked out go for 1200$ on gunbroker last week. I couldn't believe my eyes that an old war horse would go for that much, but it did. You might want to list it up there with a reserve a little above what you need. Start it low, and if it does not get up to your reserve you get to re-list it until it sells. Sold a saiga 12 on there for 1000$ in a three day auction, and a 20 round drum for it for 600$. The money is out there, but you have to list your item. Start low to get people into bidding, and let it take over. To some it is like gambling they just cant lose.

xacex
03-20-2013, 02:11 AM
I know the feeling you speak of. I have a bad twitch for a rock island 22tcm right now.