PDA

View Full Version : Asking for advice...

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Hello fellas, I am in need of a shellholder adapter (the part your snap the shellholder into) to screw into an old RCBS RC press. The threads are on the inside of the ram and measure 5/8x18tpi. I need the threaded shank to be at least 3/4" long and then of course the shell holder adapter will be on top of that. Any idea where I can find one??? It looks like the previous owner used it for swaging as it has a homemade auto eject system already on it that threads onto the outside part of the top of the ram. Thanks in adavance!

Reload3006
03-19-2013, 02:08 PM
hang on to what you have as its a Dr. Blackmon swaging conversion. your 3/4 of the way there right now. Call RCBS and get a new ram your set.

BwBrown
03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
If you just want to reload with it, you might find someone who would like to make a trade. That press, with that ram mod, is a pretty nice outfit as it sets there. You and I have already done some dealing in your "dies and bullets" thread.
My son has a real nice RC press on the bench, but he probably would not take it well it if I traded it away from under him.
If you get a replacement ram, you could have the best of both worlds. Faced with the same situation, I would just mount a second press. That way I could just go from one to the other without a bunch of fiddling.

Another option would be to have your friendly neighborhood machinist make you an adapter.
Good luck,
Bob;

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am going to keep the press set up for swaging. Maybe I will PM BT to have an extra set of punches made to 5/8"x18tpi if he can.

aaronraad
03-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Are your sure the thread is 18-tpi, instead of the more common M & S-type 24-tpi thread?

Utah Shooter
03-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am going to keep the press set up for swaging. Maybe I will PM BT to have an extra set of punches made to 5/8"x18tpi if he can.

If it is a Blackmon ram I bet he has punches just sitting there awaiting someone to buy. He sure is a nice guy to chat with.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Are your sure the thread is 18-tpi, instead of the more common M & S-type 24-tpi thread?

Unless my thread gage is wrong. :)

I will have to find Dr. Blackmons number and give him a jingle. Thanks for all the info!!

Reload3006
03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
I am sure its 5/8ths 24 that is if its corbin or blackmon. there was a guy on Evilbay that made some like Blackmons conversion kit but he was using a weird size not 5/8ths if the od of the thread is with in .010 of .625 then it is 5/8-24 tpi. Corbin M and Dr Blackmons dies will definately fit it. You may have to have the internal punch modified from corbin for it to work but all in all great find. BTW I have that conversion on my RockChucker too.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah, all my punches that are with the Corbin Dies are set up to fit in a standard shellholder adapter. So that is why I would like to have the threaded shellholder adapter. This would allow me to use my auto eject system which is threaded onto the outside of the ram. Thanks for all the great advice!!

Tony

Reload3006
03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
if your using blackmon or corbin M dies the ejector is from a hole in the socket that holds the ram. there should be a slot in the ram and a hardened pin sticks through the hole it ejects when you raise your press handle. the eject is already there.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Nope this press is set to eject the by pushing down from the top of the die. These swaging dies have the rod with the knurled top that you are suppose to hit with a mallet to remove the swaged piece from the die. It is set up like BT's auto eject sytem. Sounds like we are talking about 2 completely different setups. I will have to post a picture tonight. I apologize for the confusion.

Tony

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Hey Reload, I watched your video and my press is not set up like yours. Totally different. I will post a pic tonight. Thanks!