PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy Oatmeal Sprue

Cane_man
03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
What does it mean when the sprue cools and it starts to look like lumpty oatmeal (or like cake batter than has not been well mixed)? sorry, no pic...

i would pour the lead in the mold, the puddle would start to cool, then as it turned from shiny silver to dull great the little pointy dimples would form on top...

when the pot came to temp i fluxed with sawdust and i felt like the melt was fairly clean, it was range lead i purchased from a forum member... thanks.

popper
03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Normal. Keep going.

selmerfan
03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Care less about what the sprue looks like - what do the boolits look like? There's the important question! You may be a bit cool, the mold may not be pre-heated enough, but if the boolits are well filled out and look good with clean bases, keep going.

Cane_man
03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
thanks... boolits looked nice so i am good to go...

williamwaco
03-21-2013, 09:17 PM
If you get oatmeal on the top of the melt in the pot. That is potentially a problem.

I expect your mold is too cold.
Your mold should be hot enough that it takes the sprue puddle at least three seconds to harden.

This means that if you count one one thousand, two one thousand then turn the mold sideways, the sprue puddle should pour off like water,
If it doesn't keep filling the mold and dumping the bullets until you reach this level of heat.

Then what does your sprue puddle look like?
It should be smooth and rounded. Like a little pancake but with a dull frosty color/texture.