PDA

View Full Version : Romanian Mosin Nagant - What to Look for ??

square butte
03-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Have a friend selling a Romanian Mosin Nagant Carbine dated 1956. Looks to be in very good plus condition with an excellent bore. I do not know Nagants at all and would like to know what to look for in this particular variant (issues etc.) - if anyone should be so inclined to offer up any word of wisdom. I could add that I don't know what I don't know - if you will. Thanks for your words in advance.

Dutchman
03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Inspect overall for damage/cracks in the wood. There's really nothing special about the Romanian m/44 carbines so just look at overall condition. If the bolt cocks and the hammer drops when you pull the trigger you'd be ready to go to war.

The m/44 carbines are especially good for bayoneting annoying pests around the house when you can't shoot live ammo and then cooking them over the BarBeeQue.

When the various m/44 carbines were down in price in the $90 range I bought one of the Polish m/44. Wood had dings from use but the metal was "excellent". Bore was "excellent". They were made by the gazillion so they won't be "rare" until 2117AD (200 yr anniversary of the Revolution).

While you're in a Mosin-Nagant mood you should definitely buy one of the 91/30 rifles with bayonet and sling. The long rifles generally shoot better than the carbines.

Dutch - with way too many Mosin-Nagants in the house and I am loathe to admit I like them.. some of them..

nwellons
03-19-2013, 09:57 PM
I've got more Mosins than everything else put together.

Two more things:

Check that the two screws are snug. (There are only two screws that you can see unless you disassemble the gun.) If accuracy is variable, that may be the cause.

If you remove the barrel/receiver from the stock for cleaning, make very sure that the trigger pin in place before you reassemble. It just slides in, is easy to see and easy to remove and install. But it is also easy to let it fall out and it is quite an ordeal to get the gun back apart when the trigger doesn't work (and won't release the bolt.)

Most all of the M44s shoot well but many have their favorite ammo, for accuracy. If you shoot surplus, it is corrosive so clean well. I have only shot surplus for 3 years and it is not a big deal to clean. If you want to get lots of comments, just ask "how do I clean my gun after shooting corrosive ammo." There are many ways to clean and fortunately, most work - that is why everyone is so adamant that their method is best.

tomme boy
03-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Romanian M44 was the lowest production of all M44's if I remember right. So they are more rare than others. Most I have seen had I think was a Bulgarian 02 marked stock. It has been a long time since I seen one.

Rhaknar
05-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Romanian M44 was the lowest production of all M44's if I remember right. So they are more rare than others. Most I have seen had I think was a Bulgarian 02 marked stock. It has been a long time since I seen one.

Here in a day or two I'll try to get photos of my M44.

Romanian 1954 Mosin-Nagant model, bit rough on the condition being secondhand recieved, but a good project to clean up