PDA

View Full Version : just wondering

oldarkie
03-19-2013, 09:35 AM
has anyone ever tried vaccum sealing primers? if or when i get some new ones i was thinking about trying it.

Case Stuffer
03-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Not sure that is anygthing to be gained by doing so. As long as they are kept dry they should be good for many years even in less than ideal storage conditions.

Due to the recent shortages I am using primers which I purchased back in the sixties and seventies that were stored part of the time indoors (climate controlled) but also for tears in a shop which was not climate controlled. These are CCI SP,SPM,SR and SRM primers. Back in the late seventies I switched over to all Federal primers and so the CCIs were just mostly neglected. During the past month I have used several hunderedd of these old CCIs and they all have functioned normaly.

While doing a bit of research here I found this thread from 2008

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?37350-old-primers&p=407871&viewfull=1#post407871

oldarkie
03-19-2013, 10:22 AM
thanks case stuffer your probley right,ive got primers from the 60s thru 90s all go bang.new ones will outlast me anyhow,might be somthing the young guys can try if primers and such get harder to find.

captaint
03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Last year I used some pistol primers from the late 70's. Just stored in the (CCI) packaging. They were absolutely fine. Looked pristine, and worked great. Mike

blackthorn
03-19-2013, 12:17 PM
The value in vacume sealing would be if you ever experienced a flooded storage area. If the primers (et al) are sealed, water damage is avoided.

Bullet Caster
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
I would suggest packing them with some desiccant like silica gel. I have access to thousands of silica gel packets since they're used in the Handbag Super Store where I work (in the Veteran's Store). I use these packets in my loaded round containers since they will absorb any moisture that may be present. Could be used to keep primers dry too. BC

x101airborne
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I vacume seal my surplus store items. Why not? New powder is already sealed, so I dont worry. But when I am storing about 40 K primers and one accident or bad storm can ruin all that effort, I keep em vacume packed. I also order those dessicant packs from cabelas for my canned ammo. But, I live in coastal Texas where humidity is the norm, not the exception.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-19-2013, 07:40 PM
I vac sealed mine when I had to store them where there was no climate control.

dakotashooter2
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
About 2 years ago I managed to drop a bag of primed brass into some water. Pretty much every case had water in it. Since I was training a dog at the time I decided to dry them out and fire them as "blanks" figuring if they didn't go off no harm done. It was about a year before I got through all of them and not a single one failed to produce a nice bang......................

Rooster
03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
I think they pack them into the cups wetted (?? damp maybe) with water to keep from blowing up the place. The compound is stable when in the dampened state, harumph! There I got it out.

Bad Water Bill
03-20-2013, 04:44 AM
I have 2 bricks of CCI L R primers priced at $2.99. They sat in the loading bench drawer separated by a sheet of masonite from about 100 fish tanks that spawned and raised many hundreds of fish a year for over 15 years.8-) BANG Yes they still fire every time.:-D