PDA

View Full Version : What size patch to use in my .58 cal Zoli harppers ferry flintlock.

Neo
03-19-2013, 03:54 AM
Hi I just after some info on what size patches I should use with a .575 round ball in my .58 cal Zoli harppers ferry flintlock.:castmine:

03-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Just have to experiment. So many variables between the actual size of your bore and the actual size, as cast, of your ball. Some like 'em to load easy and some like 'em to be tight. Oh well, :), just have to spend time at the range. Ain't it great!!

fouronesix
03-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Neo,
It all depends on the bore diameter (and groove diameter) of your .58. If it is anywhere near nominal .580 bore and you subtract .575 the total bore "windage" left for the patch will be .005. Since the average ticking material is somewhere around .015+ x 2 = .030+ (the patch is taking up space on both sides of the ball), my guess is it will be a tad tight. If that turns out to be the case you might have to use some form of paper cartridge patching/loading with the .575 ball. For most of my .58s I usually use a .562 ball with a thinner ticking.

Report back with how it works.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
If you will hunt and load with the ramrod, best to choose ball and patch to allow reasonable loading force. Of course you could hunt with a peg starter, mallet, and range rod in hand. At a range with a box of tools & etc, it is free choice on how tight to load.

Loading tightness, ball size and patch thickness all bear on accuracy at the distance you intend to shoot, so bear that in mind in load development.

BvT