PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CW9 on the way

FergusonTO35
03-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Last night I won a Kahr CW9 on Gunbroker. I've been looking for one of these for awhile and everyone is sold out and don't know when they will get more. Anyway I've examined them before and the CW9 feels like the ideal small 9mm pistol for CCW. It's thin with a decent amount of grip to hang on to and easy to operate. I'm probably going to feed it the Lee 356-120-TC at 875 fps or so, standard .38 Special performance.

Anybody here like these guns? Any pet loads for them? Also, do they have any known problem areas or parts I need to keep in stock?

fishnbob
03-18-2013, 09:24 AM
I don't shoot a lot of 9mm but when I use 'em I put 5.0 grs of Unique with a 125 gr cast round nose out of a Lee mold. I carry a Kahr 40 and I really like it a lot. It has to be the most accurate small handgun I have shot. I've only had it a couple of years and like I said it is my carry and I only shoot it enough to be familiar with it so I can't say how it will hold up but the reviews on it are great. I read where most LEO's use it as a backup. I would like to pick one up in a 9mm. IIRC there isn't any difference in the size of the two, the reason I bought the 40 S&W.

bobthenailer
03-18-2013, 10:11 AM
A+ on the Kahrs I have 3 , PM9 , CW45 , TP45 all are reliable & accurate, they are now my choice for CCW carry , I as well as a 3 other friends havent had any problems and 2 of them have more than 1 Kahr.
for reloading I prefer the Saeco#377 122g TC over the Saeco#354 RN as the TC is more accurate in all of my 9mms & 38 supers.
I size bullets @.357 dia for all , use the same make/brand of case for each load.
4.5gr Powerpistol
4.0gr WSF
these are 2 loads for the 9mm that have proven accurate from my 9mms

Fishman
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
I liked my CW9 so much I bought a CW45. I'm not about to get rid of the 9 though. I've shot a fair bit of the Lee 124 gr rn over 3.6 grains of Bullseye with good results. I have been shooting the .45 a bit more lately but the recoil gets your attention.

I advise getting the +1 extended mag for your backup mag for ccw and for recreational shooting.

429421Cowboy
03-18-2013, 10:14 PM
You will likely love it!
I recently got a used PM9 with the Tru-dot night sights and the flush 6 rounder and extended seven for $460, which is about what a new CM9 or .40 goes for, i had been intending to buy a CM40 and get an extra mag, but lucked out on the 9. For a gun that is scarcely larger than a .380 they offer a heck of alot of power in a little package. When i first got it i thought the recoil would be far worse than it actually is, i shoot it better than LCP sized .380's because it doesn't seem to try and crawl away after each shot. I would figure the slightly larger CW guns will be even nicer to shoot. The Kahr trigger is awesome, i think it breaks in just the right spot, whereas Rugers have always had too much throw in their DAO guns. My brother is looking into getting a CW40, they are money well spent if you ask me, for how thin they are and how well they shoot!

rintinglen
03-18-2013, 10:43 PM
I like mine a lot. It is just about the perfect size for a fighting concealable gun. There are other guns that are smaller, but they lose a lot in shootability for the slight gain in concealability. There are plenty of full size guns out there, but they are pretty hard to conceal once Memorial Day is past and the jackets and coats get put away. I find mine to be easily controllable and amply accurate to 25 yards, though I did drop a pistol caliber Ram at 100 yards with mine, I'd hate to have to do it with big money (or my life) on the line.

FergusonTO35
03-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks guys. That 3.6 grains of Bullseye sounds like a winner, I save the full power stuff for my Ruger SR9.

oldfart1956
03-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Love the Kahrs. It's my favorite ccw. I have the CW40, recoil is less than most 9mm's and the trigger is excellent. Accuracy is top notch. Now when you get it pull out the owners manual and read it. Now read it again. Now go back to the re-assembly part. Read it 2 more times. Now lay the manual out on the table and dis-assemble it. Then open the manual back up to the re-assembly part and use a red crayon and circle the part about how to re-install the takedown lever. The #1 reason for problems with the Kahr is folks bend the little spring that keeps the takedown lever in position. It's a teeny tiny little spring inside the lower. It's a poor design in my opinion. I wish they'd correct it. You'll know you bent it when you go to fire and it locks back every shot. You won't know you bent it till it locks back....every shot. Not a particular bright idea for a ccw. I tear down and re-assemble very, very carefully and still keep the manual right in front of me. Afterwards I load up a magazine and make sure it works. I'd carry it dirty before not knowing if it would cycle. Like I said...love the gun carry it almost daily. Just my opinion of course. Audie...the Oldfart..

Olevern
03-23-2013, 04:47 AM
anybody here using the clip holster? This is just a metal clip that attaches to the slide and hooks between the belt and pants for a minimalist IWB carry.

Curly James
03-23-2013, 04:21 PM
I also recently purchased a Kahr CM9 handgun also. Being a retired LEO now I wanted something with a little more OOMPH. For years I have carried a Glock 40 cal of some type and a Ruger LCP 380 as my always with me gun. I now work as a LE/Military sales agent for a firearms distributor and wanted the always no matter what gun to be a little more, well, gun. I must say recoil is easy and accuracy is amazing for such small piece. I will still keep the Ruger LCP (that thing is just to concealable not to keep handy) but the Kahr is fast becoming my favorite. 65142Kahr recommends 200 rounds before you carry their guns as a defensive weapon. I put 50 rounds of cast 9mm and 50 rounds of jacketed through it without a hitch. I also burned up a 20 round box of the Remington hollow points I chose to carry in the gun along with 20 rounds of the Hornady Critical Duty +P 9mm ammo I am trying out. No issues other than the front of the grip was acting like a cheese grater so I slid a bike inner tube over the grip. That really helped do away with the grating action and made the grip feel less slippery. It shot cast lead boolits like a champ and rides in my pocket or on my ankle so comfortably that I forget I have it on. Can't ask for much more in a always with me gun.

FergusonTO35
03-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Payment and FFL were sent on Wednesday so hopefully I'll get the CW9 later this week. I hope it likes my pet load of 3.2 Bullseye under a 122 grain TC.

bobthenailer
03-25-2013, 09:32 AM
You will be amazed how accurate these guns are ! 3.2gr BE might be a little light ? i use 3.8gr BE
4.0gr WSF and 4.5gr Powerpistol with a 125 gr bullet all around 1,000 fps

FergusonTO35
03-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Check this out. On Friday I tried out a Lee 356-120-TC over 3.2 grains Bullseye and a Federal Gold Medal SP primer with an OAL of 1.050 in my Kel-Tec PF-9 and Ruger SR9c. Out of the Kel-Tec it clocked a very consistent 960 fps. It was a little slower, around 950 in the Ruger. I chrono'd a full 10 rounds out of each gun. This load is very accurate and dependable to shoot in both guns and cycles 100%. I hope the Kahr likes it too!:smile: