PDA

View Full Version : Lee .452 300 RNFP??

nicholst55
08-19-2007, 07:41 PM
How does this boolit work in a .45 Colt wheelgun? I've got a Ruger and an S&W to feed, and I like the design of this boolit - dual crimp grooves and a BIG meplat. It should be a real killer on deer!

Marc2
08-19-2007, 08:08 PM
This has been a great bullet for me. Very accurate out of my blackhawk Bisleys. My brother shot some amazing groups with this bullet in his Clements custom 5 shot. Not quite as accurate out of my Ruger Redhawk but acceptable. I could be wrong but I think it was designed by someone connected to this board. If so maybe he can give you more info.

Marc In VA

454PB
08-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Dale53 was involved in this design, and it is also available in .44 caliber. I have both designs, and use the .45 cal. in all my .454's and my Ruger Blackhawk. It's a terrific boolit!

Dale53
08-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Frank siefer and I designed the original C430-310 working with Lee for the .44 magnum. It was intended for an upcoming bear hunt Frank was planning. As luck would have it, I took the first head of big game (a 10 point whitetail buck) with it. One shot, one kill[smilie=1: .

Frank got his bear but it was with a rifle due to conditions in Alaska.

At first, Lee was not at all impressed with this design. However, after it got into circulation, it was discovered to be one of the most accurate bullets, ever, for the .44 magnum. Lee later slightly modified the design for the .45 Colt and .454 Casull. It has done as well in caliber .45.

I don't use a steady diet of the 300 grainers in my S&W's. I limit them to occasional use in the Smith's. However, I have no fears of constant use of the big bullets in Rugers (Red Hawk, Super Red Hawk, and the large frame Single Action Rugers). I would NOT recommend heavy use in the lighter frame New Vaquero - they are built for standard .45 Colts, only.

When using heavy loads in the appropriate handguns, seat them as long as the cylinder permits (that's why there are two lube grooves). Using the .44 bullet in my 4" model 629 and full loads, I swear I can feel the gun "unscrewing from the bullet" from the actual felt torque:roll: :roll:. However, if you are lookin' for "smack", smack you will get on target.

Dale53