PDA

View Full Version : My FA needs a trigger job.

DanWalker
03-18-2013, 02:02 AM
Supremely accurate gun, but a pain in the butt to shoot. Has a heavy trigger I'd like to get lightened. Who would you all suggest? I know FA will do it, but only to 3lbs. I'm looking for a crisp 2lb pull. The trigger in my blackhawk that Mr Munden tuned for me a few years ago, makes the FA trigger feel like a bad joke...

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2013, 05:44 AM
hard to find a gunsmith that will go much below 3lbs.

Tatume
03-18-2013, 06:36 AM
FA did mine, and in addition to setting the pull weight at three pounds, they put in a trigger stop. I believe the stop is a big help. Another point in their favor is, I believe they will get it back to you fairly quickly. Some custom gunsmiths are taking many months.

44man
03-18-2013, 09:00 AM
I worked on a LOT of Freedoms and found the metal work is superb, just needed a lighter trigger spring. True that Freedom is expensive, last I heard it was near $100 for a trigger job. Don't quote me though.
I actually wound some springs and have been asked to make some but I just have no pattern here. Been trying to get a gun to copy a few.
I would not let anyone touch the sear surfaces. Just a spring. It is a complicated wind and would be nice if they could be bought. Not more then a few bucks.

bobthenailer
03-18-2013, 10:19 AM
All you need to do is a partial dissasembly of the grip housing and bend the trigger spring a little . ive done all 3 of my 83s that way .
IMO 3 lb trigger thats crisp is light enough for most uses and id would only go to 2 lb if i was useing it for Silhouette matches only.

dubber123
03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Bob is correct. I sent mine out to have it done, but the 'smith told me the same thing, that the sears were nicely cut and polished, you just tweaked the trigger spring. I had mine on my 4-3/4" .475 set to 2.0#, and it made a huge difference in the shootability. No way I'd pay Freedom $100 to have it only knocked to 3#. The fellow I used was J.D. Henry in California, and he would set the weight to anything you wanted.

TXSlade
03-18-2013, 08:12 PM
I have a 6" FA 454 with FA action job and trigger stop. It's like breaking a glass rod. Moves maybe 1/16" or less before it hits the stop.

Worth every penny. When I send in my 10" to FA for some custom work, trigger job will be #1 on my list.

44man
03-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes, Bob is correct, you can just bend the spring.

DanWalker
03-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Took grip panels off. All I saw was the mainspring. I'm guessing further disassembly is required...

bobthenailer
03-20-2013, 09:05 AM
yes .you have to remove the grip housing assy from the frame.