PDA

View Full Version : Very soft lube in a Star sizer, good idea?

guninhand
03-18-2013, 12:45 AM
I have the Star lubsizer with air assist and am wondering if it will work okay with the soft lube, such as SPG or Emmerts lube, used with large black powder rifle boolits, of the 500 grain type with 4 lube grooves. I have just mess and grief with these boolits and soft lube in my RCBS sizer. I wouldn't want to order the star sizing die and then find I'm just as bad off. TIA.

ReloaderFred
03-18-2013, 01:28 AM
I wasn't happy using SPG in one of my Star machines, but it works fine in one of my Saeco sizers. It's easier to size big bullets with lots of lube grooves in the Saeco.

Hope this helps.

Fred

guninhand
03-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Guess its going to be the pan lube route for me.

runfiverun
03-19-2013, 01:54 AM
I have done several 3 lube groove boolits with no problems.
I have the pressure fairly high and double pump the handle to feed more lube to the boolit.

guninhand
03-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Looks like buying and trying is the only way to know for sure.

ReloaderFred
03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
I've also sized and lubed three groove bullets in my Stars, but it was with hard lube. It's the SPG that I didn't like, since it's like smearing Crisco on the bullet, which is basically what it is. I found I could get better results with SPG in the Saeco sizer, since it was easier to control the pressure a little bit at a time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

guninhand
03-20-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm getting by with pan lubing for now. When the hard lube in the Star machine runs out I'll try some of my soft lube with a sizer designed for Loverin style boolit. It has 4 rows of holes and though it sizes .310 , should tell me how the machine will handle a bigger caliber.

GabbyM
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
I've a 405 grain flat nose boolit that works through my star. Used 50/50 and SPG in the past.
When bullets get really long they are hard to start straight. 45 caliber 405gr FN works fine but a 500 grain round nose may work better if you have a nose punch to base first run them. In my 30 caliber gas check bullets my 150 grain flat nose run great but the 200 grain SP get run in my Lyman.

Springfield
03-20-2013, 12:22 PM
i have a small bullet business and sell almost exclusively BP bullets and my Stars work fine. When you order the die from Star just make sure they get the hole placement right. And I find more pressure and less heat tend to work best. I don't like using SPG as I find it is a bit too brittle and slippery and doesn't stay in the lube groove well, especially when shipped. I make my own lube but most any soft but slightly sticky lube should work. I lube the boollits in the pic just fine.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/mwhyte123/longrange45-70.jpg

guninhand
03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Sound like my lube should work Ok then, it's about 60/40 beeswax & crisco with 7% anhydrous lanolin thrown in. As the picture shows it is very sticky, which makes it not mess free, but it stays in the lube grooves, doesn't flake out. Thanks for all the help and I'll make sure to get a nose punch along with the die.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/guninhand_2007/sticky_zps69bb2841.jpg

M-Tecs
03-20-2013, 02:51 PM
The only boolit that I used SPG on in my Star is the Saeco 745. No issues other than I do get as small amount of leakage within a half hour of last usage. Its about one boolit worth of lub.

MT Chambers
03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
I have no problems with BP or soft lubes on my Stars, I keep one machine filled with only SPG....you do need to be a bit more finicky with your heat and air pressure settings, which are both at the "low" end.

wymanwinn
03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
i have a small bullet business and sell almost exclusively BP bullets and my Stars work fine. When you order the die from Star just make sure they get the hole placement right. And I find more pressure and less heat tend to work best. I don't like using SPG as I find it is a bit too brittle and slippery and doesn't stay in the lube groove well, especially when shipped. I make my own lube but most any soft but slightly sticky lube should work. I lube the boollits in the pic just fine.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/mwhyte123/longrange45-70.jpg

+1....i, too, use Sprinfield's BP lube and have no issues....

BTW, he makes and sells GREAT HUGE Lube BP bullets in lots of calibers....!!!!!

wyman

runfiverun
03-21-2013, 12:58 PM
if you need exact hole spacing,or 4 rows etc.
p.m. lathesmith chris will do the holes where you want them.

gbrown
03-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Off Topic! That's a pretty Kake Kutter. You make it yourself?