PDA

View Full Version : Powder Measures and the Turret press

ncbearman
03-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Thank you for your input on the turret press thread I started. Now as I have got it ip and loading (50 9's in 15 minutes) and that was taking my time enjoying every minute. I am looking at powder measure and the best way to go with the turret. I got an RCBS from Bprisk on here (awesome guy) very helpful. So please let me know your set ups and how you use it. I particulary would like to know the details and ins and outs of the different powder measures and how they work. I have my Dad's old Lyman No. 55 and it takes a long time to adjust to different amounts. So again, what do you use, how do you use it, let me have it, let's hear it all. Thanks.

BruceB
03-18-2013, 01:39 AM
My turret press is a 4-hole Lyman All-American which has served very well for over 45 years.

With the RCBS powder measure mounted in the turret much as your photo shows, my routine is this:

Station 1; size/deprime/reprime

Station 2: flare case mouth

Station 3: powder charge (raise handle, tap gently at top of stroke 3 times to settle charge in measure cylinder, then tap gently twice at bottom of stroke to ensure complete dropping of charge)

Station 4: seat bullet

I do this complete process for EACH CASE in turn, meaning that each case is loaded completely by rotating the turret from station-to-station to load the case before beginning the process all over again with the next one. As soon as I start loading, I have finished, loaded rounds coming off the press. In this way, I don't have partially-processed cases laying about... I only have empties or loaded rounds.

LUBEDUDE
03-18-2013, 03:23 AM
I currently use 3 Hollywood Turret presses mostly and a Herters 234 Turret, and a Lyman All American. I use Hollywood measures on all of them for powder and shot.

For metallic loading, I go through the steps just like Bruce. Shotgun is a bit more involved as expected.

dromia
03-18-2013, 05:49 AM
I use my Redding T7 turret for light rifle loads dropping 'tween 3-10 gns of powder. I like mechanically activated measures as the mechanical linkages seems to give the most consistent operation and consequently the most consistent charges. I also like fixed cavity measures for thee light loads so I have two Lee Autodisk measures on my turret. They work very well so long as you don't use fine grained powder as they can leak like a sieve with them.

novalty
03-18-2013, 10:06 AM
I am using a RCBS Uniflow on my Redding Turret. Tweaked it the other night for expanding 45acps while throwing 4.0 grains of W231, and it was pretty consistent.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/IMG_6548_zpsc4b8fa3c.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/IMG_6549_zps252c6cfe.jpg

Probably get slapped for saying it, but the RCBS Uniflow is throwing handgun loads as consistent a load as my Harrell's Precision throws rifle loads.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/040_zps47fc967e.jpg