PDA

View Full Version : Using Lee Rifle FCD to compress base of bullet

Rayc384
03-17-2013, 11:38 PM
I am knocking around a weird idea, so I thought I would ask here. Would it be possible to use a rifle FCD to compress the bottom of a PBS 9 mm lead bullet enough to seat a regular gas check? I told you it was weird.

fcvan
03-18-2013, 01:17 AM
That is not the first time I've read your idea. It is neither new nor weird. It works. I prefer to use plain base gas checks I make from soda can material. They work very well and are fun to make. I only have 1 35 cal gas check mold and 1 45 cal gas check mold. The rest are plain base molds. I would like to remove the gas check shanks from both molds so I never have to buy or trade for regular checks again. I have a standard check maker in 30 cal and 1 on order for 22 cal but the rest will be plain base checks for me.

Rayc384
03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
I am thinking the 8 mm FCD would work on the 9 mm cast bullets. Getting weirder.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Ranch Dog use to carry custom "Lee Made" Rifle style FCD for 357M, 41M, 44M, 45LC...I picked up one of each before he closed up that shop...Your idea is a good one. I have a Patmarlins 41 and 44 PB checkmakers. I'll have to give it a try...using a "pusher" from a lee push throw sizer set, BUT I wonder if the boolit will just drop out of the FCD or stick in it ?
Jon

Rayc384
04-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Well, I fired my first 50 rounds using this weird setup. I used a 8 mm Mauser FCD to form shanks on the bullets. I used a .308 Winchester case with a bullet seated nose down to support the bullet while the shank was being formed.

I ended up buying a FREECHEX III in .35. I had a Arbor Press already. Found the checks formed from Yonkers 8 mm aluminum would stay attached to the bullets after running them through the Lee sizer. Lubed them with 45-45-10, loaded them at 3.5 grains of Titegroup, which leaded badly without the gas check.

Shot the 50 rounds with no leading. The group was slightly better than a group of plated bullets. Overall, I am happy.

Cane_man
04-22-2013, 10:34 PM
make your self a plain base gas check maker, easy to make and can be made with a drill press only... the PB checks work very well and prevent leading

Relsom
04-29-2013, 12:06 PM
make your self a plain base gas check maker, easy to make and can be made with a drill press only... the PB checks work very well and prevent leading

Do you have any info or links?