PDA

View Full Version : Still no Joy stopping the excessive lube on nose of bullet.

FN in MT
03-17-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm going to reign in what I'd like to post...turning the RANT mode OFF.

I am lubing #358477 slugs with a .358" STAR die and Carnuba Red lube. Slugs are about .360", so not undersized.

I have had issues with three little spots of lube on the bullet nose. Doesn't seem to matter what I do...they persist.

Read everything I could here on the STARS, went to their site and watched the video, read the manual, etc.

With just enough heat to allow the red to flow and so little pressure that the lube groove barely fills out...STILL have my three little spots of lube on the nose.

I can run the heat and pressure up a bit and turn out bullets fine, but there's my three little spots. I'm aware that TOO MUCH heat and pressure are supposed to be the cause of the lube on the nose issues.

So today I take the die out, clean it up and check that the unused lube holes are plugged well enough with shot. Seems OK, but I tap them in a bit with a punch anyway.

I also set up my top punch using the directions on the STAR site. Seems OK. Check it twice.The center lube holes are lined up perfectly with my single lube groove.

Everything should be fine. As soon as I can get lube running...there are my three little buddies again...120 degrees apart on the nose.

One thing I did notice when I took the die out...lube ran out of the press body despite the pressure screw being turned way back...Should the pressure still persist with the screw turned back? I'm to the point of hoping there's something wrong with the pressure system, that can be repaired.

Any ideas?

FN in MT

engineer401
03-17-2013, 10:31 PM
The best idea I have is using an air pressure assist instead of the manual screw. I also use the softer BAC sold by the same guy who sells Carnuba Red, LAR45. I purchased the aftermarket air pressure system through someone on this forum. The air pressure system is currently being sold on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-LUBE-SIZER-AIR-FEED-KIT-STAR-RELOADING-/160990650673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257bca6131. I had difficulty with the Magma lube doing the same as you describe. Once I developed the proper temperature, pressure and punch adjustment, the problems went away. I still inspect every bullet as it comes from the sizer but I'm seeing less of a reason to do so each day. BAC leaves the barrel shiny for all my pistol rounds.

runfiverun
03-18-2013, 12:23 AM
check the rod that operates the plunger.
the one the handle operates.
if you have it too long it is holding the plunger open allowing pressure to be applied all the time.

check that the spring is pushing the plunger all the way back out to block the lube from running into the size die area.
quite often those springs will break.

if you have to, pull that all apart and double check the plunger itself for nicks and such.

MT Chambers
03-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Turn punch to push bullet deeper into the die until you are happy, may have to turn down heat and/or amount of pressure, otherwise some lube may be passing your plugged holes.

captaint
03-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Sounds to me like the 3 little spots are lube left over from the previous boolit. I would try adjusting the punch UP a little and see if that helps. Also, the pressure screw only applies pressure to the chamber that the actual lube pump works in. It keeps the lube going in that chamber so the pump can apply it to the boolit. The actual pump makes its own pressure when we pull the handle. Hope this helps. Let us know. Mike

FN in MT
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
I think the PLUNGER may be my bugaboo. It's returning slowly...though that may simply be cold lube. I'll have time later to fool with it.

Appreciate the ideas and the help Gentleman!

ReloaderFred
03-18-2013, 07:32 PM
I put a light machine oil on all the moving parts of my Stars, including the plunger. If it gets dry, it won't slide back and forth. Heat also helps in combination with oil. I really like Machine Gunners Lube from Sprinco Recoil Reducers for all my firearm and press needs.

Hope this helps.

Fred

FN in MT
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
I think the PLUNGER may be my bugaboo. It's returning slowly...though that may simply be cold lube. I'll have time later to fool with it.

Appreciate the ideas and the help Gentleman!

And the winner is...Everyone that mentioned the PLUNGER!

Cleaned up the rod, added some lube and it seems to return much quicker. I may have found the FIX!

My three little goobers are gone for now. But I don't trust them. Lulling me into a false state of happiness and contentment. I fear they WILL return to make me crazy.

God but I love the level of experience and expertise on this Forum! A very knowledgeable group.

FN in MT