PDA

View Full Version : Primer and powder storage

alleyoop
03-17-2013, 08:29 PM
How do you store these items ? I have used an old fridge for years it is more or less airtight, insulated and if their were to be a detonation the force would be directed outward through the doors (non latching). Primers in one side powder in the other.

USMC87
03-17-2013, 10:16 PM
I asked the same question about a month ago, The only thing I added were something for moisture absorbent . Got mine on ebay.

9-toes
03-17-2013, 10:37 PM
I keep the primers in plastic shoe boxes with loads of desiccant packs on one side of the bench and powder on the other side. It's real nice being able to see them.

FLINTNFIRE
03-18-2013, 12:18 AM
I use the old fridge to , 2 door primers on the freezer side , powder on the other larger side , works good no desiccant , and no moisture , put in a cigar humidor style hygrometer if you want to see what the moisture content is , steady temp. and it does work good.

millsa2
03-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Good Idea. I am going to start looking for an old ref. now. Thanks

Cesure
03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
I do nothing special. I just store them separate indoors and shield them from falling water. I just happened to be reading this a few minutes ago

Modern sporting ammunition primers will not absorb
moisture under normal or even severe conditions of
atmospheric humidity. There is no advantage to be gained
from air-tight containers. The factory containers in which
they are packaged need only normal conditions of storage.
They should be kept dry and not exposed to high tempera-
tures (in excess of 150° F). If exposed to wet conditions
or high temperatures, they may deteriorate, yielding mis-
fires or poor ignition of the propellant powder.

It came from this brochure (http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_201-Primers.pdf) from SAAMI. Powder also comes in appropriate storage containers.

smlake
03-25-2013, 05:01 PM
The National Fire Protection Association has standards for powder and primer storage. In short, the NFPA sets a maximum storage limit of !0,000 primers and 20 lbs of powder in a residence. The maximum powder storage can be increased to 50 lbs if the powder storage is contained inside a wood box or cabinet with wood walls having a minimum thickness of 1 inch on all 6 sides. Primers and powder should never be stored together- you essentially have created a bomb. If you have a fire inside your house and the powders and primer counts are found to exceed these maximums when the fire involves the primers and or powder, your insurance company likely will not pay the claim. This would be a financial disaster for most of us. Store powder and primers above these maximums in an unoccupied structure that is not attached to your house. More details can be obtained if you google this topic or search the NFPA standards. Also, contact your local fire dept. or your insurance company if you doubt these maximums or need verification. Be safe.

Bwana
03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
The National Fire Protection Association has standards for powder and primer storage. In short, the NFPA sets a maximum storage limit of !0,000 primers and 20 lbs of powder in a residence. The maximum powder storage can be increased to 50 lbs if the powder storage is contained inside a wood box or cabinet with wood walls having a minimum thickness of 1 inch on all 6 sides. Primers and powder should never be stored together- you essentially have created a bomb. If you have a fire inside your house and the powders and primer counts are found to exceed these maximums when the fire involves the primers and or powder, your insurance company likely will not pay the claim. This would be a financial disaster for most of us. Store powder and primers above these maximums in an unoccupied structure that is not attached to your house. More details can be obtained if you google this topic or search the NFPA standards. Also, contact your local fire dept. or your insurance company if you doubt these maximums or need verification. Be safe.

Everytime i have read that I thought it was ignorant or stupid or both. Primers and powder together creates a bomb. I am glad I have less than 100,000 bombs in my house. A clueless fool wrote that nfpa blurb.
Reminds me of when the state fire marshall was on the local talk radio and said you were prohibited from storing high explosives in your home. I called up and asked him if he had any ammunition at his house and he said that he did. i then told him that he was storing high explosive at his house. He paused a little bit and then said, "You are refering to the primers and I guess you are right". He then said that wasn't what he was talking about though. Words have meanings.

tom357mag
03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Clear boxes with latches and dessicant packs for primers and powder gets stored in original container.

smlake
03-25-2013, 08:32 PM
This is an important topic since most viewers on this site are reloaders. Readers who question the limits stated in my reply to this thread should do to www.google.com. Next, do a search "primer and powder limits in residences" and many sites will be revealed where this topic is discussed on other reloading sites. Some readers supply links to the regulations. If you really want into the regulations, go to www.NFPA.org and do searches on their website. These powder and primer limits are in chapter 13 of the code. There are also two pdf documents regarding powder and primer limits on this site. To obtain the limits on powder, input "maximum gun powder in residences" and scroll down to pdf 495 page 3 and you will find them in section 11-4.6. Do the same for primers. Input "maximum primers in residences". scroll down to pdf 495 page 21 and you will see the limits in section 14.5.4. These two documents indicate proposals have been made to raise the limits. However, the proposals, have not been acted on by the NFPA. I would also add that some states have lower limits. For example, I believe the Maryland primer limit is 5,000. When in doubt check with your fire department.
I would advise the readers to ignore the rant and personal attack of Bwana. His post does not address the actual limits in residences.

FLINTNFIRE
03-26-2013, 01:57 AM
OK, now if you go to federal regulations / laws and read them you will see a different amount of powder and primers stored in residences and the same for most states , as a matter of fact washington allows only 4 pounds of black powder in a residence , and the amount of smokeless powder is 25 pounds and over that up to 50 pounds is 3/4 inch plywood , so the law varies with state to state and federal , as for it being a bomb , I think there are a lot more things in your house that are worse , also for fire there are all your common chemicals , no attack intended .

BIGRED
03-26-2013, 01:02 PM
I save my once used vacuum seal bags, wash them out really well and recommission them for Ammo, powder and primer storage. after i vacuum seal the primers i then put them into a sealed ammo can. and i store them in a totally different place then powder.
I store all of my die heads in a plastic shoe box with Dessicant packs.

TheGrimReaper
03-27-2013, 12:19 PM
The best and the MOST safe way especially for THE CHILDREN so they don't get ahold of the primers and powder is to store them at MY HOUSE!!! HAHAHA

Billybumbler
03-30-2013, 05:31 PM
When I got into reloading I checked with the local Fire Dept and was told to go by the National Fire Protection Association specs. Be careful about storage 'cause if you have a fire and were ask if there is any ammo or powder/primers they may not enter the house! This is from my son who is a fireman.

rl69
03-30-2013, 05:48 PM
i just have mine on the shelf by my bench i i have a fire i want the gases to have a place to escape the primers will pop no damage done the powder will burn but no explosion your going to have more problems with your can goods going off then your ammo

doulos
03-30-2013, 07:10 PM
The NFPA guidelines are usually NOT law. They are standards and guidelines. Go to their web site and read about them. I know this because I was a professional firefighter on a 500 member department for 26 years.
However local municipalities can adopt the NFPA guidelines for law if they wish. If the do they usually cite the NFPA as a reference. Many fire safety laws are based on their suggestions. They are the agency and reference used to develop almost every facet of fire and life safety codes in the country. But they are not a regulatory agency. You have to consult your local laws. For your fire dept to tell you to go by the NFPA tells me they either didn't know the regulation, or their local law doesn't speak about it, or maybe that it has been adopted as law.
If your local law doesn't speak on this issue .
In that case your state laws would be the authority to consult. Local laws usually have to be as strict as state laws or more strict never less strict.
In any case just looking to see what the NFPA suggests does not guarantee you are complying with local law.

jackmanuk
03-30-2013, 07:37 PM
chuck all mine in the reloading box

dragon813gt
03-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Since this went so well last time I brought it up. Did your state/county/municipality adopt the International Building Code? If the answer is yes then the NFPA guidelines were adopted as well. Will the local inspectors know about it? Flip a coin. A lot of states/municipalities have stricter limits so you should call to find out. If you think you can store as much as you want. Have at it and pray that there is never a fire at your house.