DCP
03-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Best 209 Inline for the money

new or used

Thanks

newton
03-17-2013, 06:38 PM
http://www.swinglock.net/home.php

If I had the money this is what I'd do. But in reality, I own a cheap $100 CVA inline that can hang with the top enders.

Doc Highwall
03-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Check out the Savage.

johnson1942
03-17-2013, 07:33 PM
my son wanted a modern inline and as i had a really nice h and r .45/70 and several shooters recomended smokless muzzleloders inc. i sent in my action and they are putting a .50 cal douglass barrel on it. it will use 209 primers and will be a 1/32 twist. the 1/32 twist i believe is better than 1/28 for sabots. it will have a nice 9 power scope on it. my boy is right handed and left shooter eye. he could not get the hang of a side lock even though he got a deer with one. he will be able to shoot this one without diff. they do any h and r action and have a web site if you want to check it out and then call them.

NSB
03-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Savage ML2 smokeless. Like shooting a 45-70 and super accurate. I've owned quite a few muzzle loaders over the years. This is by far the best. You can shoot black powder if you like or several smokeless powders. With the right sabot, bullet, powder, and primer I'm getting 1.5" groups at 100 yds. Those aren't "keyboard groups" , they're the real deal.

johnson1942
03-17-2013, 09:59 PM
to nsb: i believe you 100 percent. that gun and a few others like it can sure consistantly place one on top of another with no fliers.

Rick Hodges
03-18-2013, 08:08 AM
I own a TC Omega. It is reliable and accurate. I would not hesitate to buy another or to recommend one for a friend.

OverMax
03-18-2013, 12:52 PM
I own a TC Omega. It is reliable and accurate. I would not hesitate to buy another or to recommend one for a friend. +1 on that post.

The one thing I've noticed with inlines. One has to shoulder each one prior to buying. As they all do not offer the same feeling up at the shoulder. Haven't seen or shouldered a Savage M-II to date. But many of the others I have. The only model that impressed me so far on my shouldering was the Omega with its traditional rifle stock. They just seem to pull up so nice and offer its shooter an excellent down the barrel sighting with their really good original open sights. If I weren't already a dyed-in-the wool Traditional B/P rifle shooter. I'd have at least a couple Omega's in my possession. No doubt about that.

O/M

Speaking of the Savage M2 smokeless . A few year ago I believe they were ineligible to hunt B/P deer season with in Idaho. Maybe someone could elaborate on that circumstance?

LeadBrain
03-18-2013, 02:26 PM
I own a TC Omega. It is reliable and accurate. I would not hesitate to buy another or to recommend one for a friend.

+1 great inline. I also have a USA knight that is a tack driver, only complaint would be cleaning takes a minute or two longer than the Omega. One additional benefit of a TC, Knight, Savage, or any American made for me is that they ARE USA built and I sleep a little sounder knowing some fellow American craftsmen /women got to keep a job one more day to build mine.

Doc Highwall
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
The Savage can be shot with both smokeless powder and black powder/substitute's.

Funny thing about the black powder substitutes is they are under the same Govt. restrictions as smokeless due to chemical make up.

If they allow Pryodex , 777, or any of the other substitutes, they should allow the Savage with smokeless.

10 ga
03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Best 209 Inline for the money, new or used

I have 3 Savage MLIIs. got 1 NIB, well, a rack gun for $480. great deal. other 2 used and paid $250@ for them. If you find a used Savage for under $350 and it hasn't been abused, a great deal. If abused give $100 for it and rebarrel, it's easy. Most of the other 209 inlines should not be more than $100 bucks used. My brother has a "Huntsman", NEF or H&R not sure, and it is a good shooter and that type should be available reasonable. Most of the Contender and Encores are too high as the frames have value in themselves but with luck can be had for around $300 and are well worth that. And don't give up on the slamfires either, retrofit to a 209 is available and a good White Rifle or a Fort Worth is well worth a good price. Black Diamond is good too but again open bolt and 209 fitted but shoot good. I am always on the prowl for good MLs, especially inlines and they can usually be had for easy money. Most gun shops don't even take used MLs in trade and pawn shops don't give much for them as they don't move very fast. Whenever I'm in need of a ML project I usually post in the "WANT TO BUY" section/forum here or on several other forums I use and id usually does not take long to find what I'm looking for.

#1 vote goes to used Savage MLII
#2 vote would go to a White Rifle, preferably a .451 and .504 second

Accuracy above all else!

JMHO 10 ga

NSB
03-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Henry Ball, the developer of the Savage ML2, was asked one time how often he cleaned the Savage to maintain accuracy. He replied, "once a year whether it needs it or not". Shooting smokeless is sweet. I think that once you make the decision to break away from a side hammer and black powder, you've really left muzzle loading. However, if you like to hunt all the seasons and it's legal to use, it's really nice not to have to mess around with all the cleaning between shots and at the end of the day. Why bother using an in-line without smokeless? FYI...I've owned a few Omega's and they are a pretty decent gun for the money. They shoot great and are well designed. I just like the Savage due to the ease of cleaning, the different powder options which allows load development, and shooting 300 grain jacketed bullets at over 2200fps.

hornady308
03-19-2013, 08:22 AM
I have a White .504 rifle that was made in the 90's, is stainless and has a Wilson barrel. It will truly shoot 1.5" at 100 yards. Good 'ol Knight rifles are also very accurate and dependable. I have found some great deals on used inline rifles and never paid more than $125 for any of them.

Buckeye509
03-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I have always liked TC products. I have an Encore 50 cal that does well with Blackhorn 209.

jeo22
03-20-2013, 07:22 PM
I like my TC Encore Pro Hunter 50cal. Three 50 gr pellets of Pyrodex behind a TC 250gr Super Glide sabot, works on deer better than anything I've ever used. Saves a lot of tracking.;-)

izzyjoe
03-20-2013, 11:47 PM
the new CVA wolf hand's down. i passed one up after christmas, it was $175 nib. a friend has one, and he love's it. i cast him some Real's boolit's, there good nuff for deer around here.

6pt-sika
03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Savage ML2 smokeless. Like shooting a 45-70 and super accurate. I've owned quite a few muzzle loaders over the years. This is by far the best. You can shoot black powder if you like or several smokeless powders. With the right sabot, bullet, powder, and primer I'm getting 1.5" groups at 100 yds. Those aren't "keyboard groups" , they're the real deal.

I can back up that statement up 100% !

I've got a Savage 10ML-II 50 cal that does the same thing and sometimes a bit better !

Also have a pair of Knight Disc Rifles in 45 and 50 that do darned near as well .

I shoot VV N-110 or XMP5744 in the Savage and Triple 7 granualted 3Fg in the two Disc Rifles .

NSB
03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I can back up that statement up 100% !

I've got a Savage 10ML-II 50 cal that does the same thing and sometimes a bit better !

Also have a pair of Knight Disc Rifles in 45 and 50 that do darned near as well .

I shoot VV N-120 or XMP5744 in the Savage and Triple 7 granualted 3Fg in the two Disc Rifles .

My best two powders are also N120 and 5744. Probably are pretty good in all ML2's.

Doc Highwall
03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
When I had my Savage MLII I used AA5744 also.
What I really liked about it was it looked and felt like a regular bolt action rifle except for the ram rod.

6pt-sika
03-21-2013, 01:57 PM
My best two powders are also N120 and 5744. Probably are pretty good in all ML2's.

Thats a typo that shoulda been N-110 !

I do however use 120 in my 444 cast loads !

bigted
03-22-2013, 11:57 AM
so i guess a question is acceptable...i own another TC Encore MAGNUM 209x50 pro hunter. question i have is will this platform withstand the same 5744 smokless powder beings it is built around smokless high preassure chamberings such as 375 H&H and 416 Rigby? just wondering is all and i do NOT plan on using smokless but the question begs and answer...maybe been asked n answered already?

BTW...my Lyman GPR does all for me in 54 cal with the roundball & a twist of 60 inch. but now the TC has gotten a lots of time at my house....didnt mean to polute your origanal question OP.

NSB
03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
so i guess a question is acceptable...i own another TC Encore MAGNUM 209x50 pro hunter. question i have is will this platform withstand the same 5744 smokless powder beings it is built around smokless high preassure chamberings such as 375 H&H and 416 Rigby? just wondering is all and i do NOT plan on using smokless but the question begs and answer...maybe been asked n answered already?

BTW...my Lyman GPR does all for me in 54 cal with the roundball & a twist of 60 inch. but now the TC has gotten a lots of time at my house....didnt mean to polute your origanal question OP.
Ted, TC explicitly states not to use smokeless powders in the Omega (or any of their muzzle loaders). Even though TC makes the Encore in a number of centerfire rifle chamberings, the muzzle loader is different. The breechplug is not designed to contain this pressure. Also, the threads in the breechplug take strength out of the barrel by creating thin spots where the breechplug threads in. Don't use smokeless in any muzzle loader unless it is made to use it and is clearly backed up by the manufacturer in doing so.

bigted
03-22-2013, 03:36 PM
yep that sounds rite...didnt even consider the threaded plug when i 'breeched' ...[smilie=b:...the question. i would never load smokless in any muzzleloader anyway...just too many years with the old tecknology i guess...seems weird that ... even tho rifles made for this exist...just seems wrong to me. i just had an elderly moment and posted a question before the thought had time to germinate and either make sense or sound goofy...guess which i find?? :p

bigted
03-22-2013, 03:51 PM
i will speak to the accuracy of the encore tho...this exelent rifle is by far the most accurate ML i have ever had the privalidge to shoot...maybe its the scope.

just went outside and watched a ma and her young son ... moose in the yard. man i love livin here.

NSB
03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
i will speak to the accuracy of the encore tho...this exelent rifle is by far the most accurate ML i have ever had the privalidge to shoot...maybe its the scope.

just went outside and watched a ma and her young son ... moose in the yard. man i love livin here.

A friend of mine has one. I've watched him shoot 1" groups at 100yds with it. It is really accurate. And yes, you're lucky to live where you do. Wish I were a lot younger and knew what I know now. I'd be somewhere like that myself.

bigted
03-22-2013, 06:28 PM
ahhh it only took me 43 years to get here. dad came up in the 70's and since then the bug ate at me till i got er done. folks back home wonder when ill be done and come home...i just smile n tell em i AM home...ill get tucked under the permafrost here when im done.

M-Tecs
03-23-2013, 01:26 AM

The barrel will and the beech plug probably will but the 209 primer probably won’t. The Savage 10ML-II uses a Vent Liner to reduce pressure to the primer. It starts at .030” and when it erodes to .040 it should be replaced.

10 ga
03-23-2013, 10:49 PM
The barrel will and the beech plug probably will but the 209 primer probably won’t. The Savage 10ML-II uses a Vent Liner to reduce pressure to the primer. It starts at .030” and when it erodes to .040 it should be replaced.

That is way too much erosion. Accuracy will begin to go and be inconsistent when vent goes past .034 Replace at .034 for best results. Lehigh probably makes the longest lasting and hardest commercially available vent liners. Again .034 max for best results.

10 ga

M-Tecs
03-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Thanks. Just ordered a pack of 4.

M-Tecs
03-23-2013, 11:11 PM
10 ga

How many shots are you get with your Lehigh vent liners before you replace them?

freebullet
03-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Omega +1 can hit 6" plate all day @200yds. 250gr shockwave &150 gr pyrodex. +1 wolf lightweight short perfectly adequite to 150yds 200gr xtp 100gr pyrodex. Both can be had cheap second hand.