View Full Version : Anyone getting anything?

dmclark523
03-17-2013, 01:16 PM
I realize it's impossible to purchase components (powder, primers, ect) at a reasonable price right now. I also realize that it will be a while before we start seeing these types of components for sale again.

I have to wonder though, is anyone currently getting their back-orders fulfilled? I made a rather large order of primers and powder at Brownells about a week after Christmas, and just received my powder via UPS two weeks ago. I know most people say it'll be summer/fall before we start to see things die down, but until then, when do you guys expect to see your orders fulfilled?

I know most places you can't even back-order anything... Should I anticipate my 10k primers anytime soon, or am I a fool for expecting anything before July/August? Most of you have some experience with this, and I'd be interesting in hearing your thoughts...

Kevin Rohrer
03-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I realize it's impossible to purchase components (powder, primers, ect) at a reasonable price right now.

The worst is over. I can get what I want, but as I bought what I needed awhile ago, I don't need anything.

Those who plan ahead, come out ahead. Those who don't, don't.

dmclark523
03-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Personally, however, I haven't been doing this for very long and I'm new to reloading. I didn't know what would/could happen nor did I anticipate this...

Roundnoser
03-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Personally, however, I haven't been doing this for very long and I'm new to reloading. I didn't know what would/could happen nor did I anticipate this...

I know lots of guys who did the same thing. They weren't expecting a run on components either. There is one thing I think I can say with some confidence: YOU will not get caught short again, will you?! :lol: Once things get back to "normal" buy extra components whenever you have the extra cash and keep a healthy stash of it tucked away for the next round of gun control insanity.

colt1960
03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
The only thing Im buying right now are new molds ect that are avilable at reg. prices. Some of the auctions sights are getting huge money right now on used items. Ive been thinking of selling off somr items and replacing them when things get back to normal. Rick!

Alvarez Kelly
03-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Some of the auctions sights are getting huge money right now on used items. Ive been thinking of selling off somr items and replacing them when things get back to normal. Rick!

I just did that. Sold equipment I could do without on one of the auction sights. Made a LOT of money, then reordered it all new. I can wait the 6 to 8 weeks to get it back.

I did get a single pound of Clays the other day at a very good price. I wish I could find some Federal SP primers. I'm not out, but I don't want to run out either!

I'll Make Mine
03-17-2013, 05:54 PM
I did get a single pound of Clays the other day at a very good price. I wish I could find some Federal SP primers. I'm not out, but I don't want to run out either!

Despite their claim that they don't carry reloading supplies, I saw small pistol primers (yes, Federal!) at the local Gander Mountain a couple weeks ago. I'd guess they came in along with the large rifle I was buying, which are used in a few muzzle loaders (or maybe they've got some folks with converted cap and ball revolvers that use small pistol in the nipple replacements). Pricing was ordinary retail, too, I paid just under $4 per hundred for the large rifle.

No, no powder other than black powder substitutes, but I'll take what I can get when I can find it; I wasn't financially able to restart my reloading (after 20+ years away) when I bought my rifle in early 2012 -- and by the time I could afford dies and components, this panic buying had taken over the market...

LUBEDUDE
03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
There is one thing I think I can say with some confidence: YOU will not get caught short again, will you?! :lol: Once things get back to "normal" buy extra components whenever you have the extra cash and keep a healthy stash of it tucked away for the next round of gun control insanity.

Words with Iron !

tom357mag
03-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I have had good luck @ my local gun shops. I would rather go there anyway to avoid the hazmat fee and also to give the small guy some business.

anotherred
03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
I hope this is over soon as we can't even find .22 ammo at a reasonable price. As for reloading equipment, I'm also fairly new and my supplies are dwindling faster than I'd like.

FLHTC
03-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Yeah, the Clintons cast the first stone back in the 1990's and many learned from that. He taught us never to have to buy components for the rest of our lives. I guess something good did come out of his administration.

FLHTC
03-18-2013, 07:23 AM
This will hurt hunting license sales too. My guess is that this scare has put the brakes on any new product introduction as well. Products are flying off the shelves as fast as they're put out. I had a big box store employee tell me that they have tons of ammo in the warehouse but will only put it out in a trickle so its not all bought up at once.

marlin39a
03-18-2013, 09:03 AM
I am finding powder and primers at my local gun shop. Have to check frequently. Midway is great on equipment. Backorders taken and filled within a reasonable time.

jmorris
03-18-2013, 10:00 AM
I placed my order for this season last September so I was ahead of the election. So I will be good at least until then. Hopefully all of the squirrels with have their lifetime of nuts stored away by then.

YunGun
03-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Haven't seen .22LR ammo on WalMart shelves around here at ANY price for almost 6 months, even before the craze. Still not seeing any resurgence in other ammo here either; last time I stopped by the gun/ammo counter, they had several boxes of 30.06, a few boxes of .308, & couple boxes of .270 & .243 I think. Haven't seen any 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP or other std. cartridges since the panic buying started, & I don't think I've ever seen their shelves this bare before. Wasn't an active shooter (let alone caster/reloader) the last time so wasn't prepared for a sudden shortage either, and the LGS's shelves are likewise devoid of powders or primers (they had maybe a dozen pounds of powder in total, split between Clays, Retumbo, RL25 and one or two others I can't recall offhand, but sadly nothing I use...) Eagerly awaiting their return so I can start stocking up for next time!

Guesser
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I was in a shop in Havre Montana saturday. All the shelves were stocked, he estimated that he had over 300,000 primers in stock, down from his normal high, bullets, cases, powder, AR's, hand guns new and used. Lots of accessories, 30 round AR mags, etc. Lots of people in and out, buying, selling, trading. Great place to do business. I came out with an old Colt.
The shop has been in business for over 70 years and is in it's third generation. Easy to see why it is still doing business.

Bullshop
03-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Guesser
My wife is wanting to go to Havre so this is a good excuse. Please tell me how to find this shop and the name of it.

Kent Fowler
03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Interesting article originally from, I think, Guns and Ammo. We may be in for the long haul on availability. After the 1994 primer debacle, I decided then to establish an inventory base line of X amount of primers, powder and new cases and consider those items which are below that line as "reserve" and I won't touch them. I've moved the base line up a few times, since this "president" was elected. I'm buying cast bullets now as they are still available at good prices and have quit casting in order to preserve my lead stock for when times get really bad. Unfortunately, I think in the next 4 years, it's gonna get really bad.
http://www.stevequayle.com/index.php?s=33&d=285

yooper
03-18-2013, 07:41 PM
A very interesting but sobering (scary even) commentary at the end of the Steve Quayle article referenced above. This is not a society preparing for a passing shortage of guns, boolits and components but rather a society preparing for a war. I fear, as the writer stated, that an uprising of the folks is approaching at a rapidly increasing speed. Not something that I'm particularly looking forward to but I fear it's coming.
yooper

FLHTC
03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
A very interesting but sobering (scary even) commentary at the end of the Steve Quayle article referenced above. This is not a society preparing for a passing shortage of guns, boolits and components but rather a society preparing for a war. I fear, as the writer stated, that an uprising of the folks is approaching at a rapidly increasing speed. Not something that I'm particularly looking forward to but I fear it's coming.
yooper

My sister has some friends in the National Guard and they told her that all their training for the past two years has been for civil unrest. Kind of scary but i do believe its coming.

zomby woof
03-19-2013, 09:07 PM
I bought five pounds of RL15 and two pounds AA2460 today at <$20 per pound. I was lucky to catch Midway with federal small pistol primers $181 shipped for 5000 last week.

bobthenailer
03-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Thats kinda personal isnt it ! Oh wait your talking about reloading componets . there about equal, youll get as much as you want when they make it avalible!

Joneser
03-20-2013, 11:07 AM
I have bought a few things on backpage.com under sporting goods. Primers and brass. Some people are reasonable but most are looking to make money. I also picked up a really nice remmy 700 there.

CuZ
03-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Widener's has CCI large and small pistol primers, and large rifle primers in 5k amounts. Good luck :!: