PDA

View Full Version : Greeting started casting - beginner level

mookiie
03-16-2013, 09:37 PM
All,
I have been reloading for a few years now and I am seriously considering casting my own bullets. Could anyone here point me to some knowledgable resources I can use to get started? I shoot a lot of firearms in a lot of categories from .223 - 12 gauge slug. (Can you even cast bullets for 223?). I would be looking to load for semi autos - Garand, sks, ar, bolt rifles K98, Carcano, k31, Mosins, shotguns both slug and shot, revolvers and semi auto handguns, 357, 1911, .40 etc etc. my starting base of knowledge would be I know you melt lead and reform in molds to cast, but that is about it. Also if anyone could recommend a good loading manual for cast bullets or anything that would be useful. I am planning to start with pistol calibers, then move to shotgun, and rifle last.

Thanks for any help you can give!

williamwaco
03-16-2013, 09:57 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm)

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-Edition/dp/B004DWBKQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363485506&sr=8-1&keywords=lyman+cast+bullet+handbook

454PB
03-16-2013, 10:10 PM
And yes, you can cast boolits for .223.

Jim..47
03-16-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm down loading that book myself, don't know yet what is in it.

The first thing to learn is safety. Always protect your eyes, I say again, always protect your eyes. Its preferred also to protect your feet, legs, all of your face. I'm sure you getting the picture.

If you drop your boolits into water or water in any form, frozen or not keep all water away from your casting pot. Even a couple small drops will make your pot explode like 5 hand grenades, or worse.

I cast my boolits to the front and directly to the left at ground level I have a pot of water. For you I would recommed keeping the water pot to the rear but still at ground level, while you are casting at table top level. Be sure to read through all the safety precautions.

There are plenty of posts and sticky's to teach the rest. It do you well to read through them. and then ask all the questions you want. Good luck.

detox
03-16-2013, 10:30 PM
I like casting for my 38/357 S&W Revolver best. Mainly because it uses less lead and .357 will cast easily if you use a good mould like RCBS (lifetime warranty). Also very accurate with less recoil.

detox
03-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Lever action 30/30 will probably be my second favorite. I have a Winchester 94 levergun.

dgill99
03-16-2013, 11:45 PM
I just started casting January of this year and this site is the best place to get information. I use the Lee equipment and molds. You can get your alloy from rotometals but read up before on alloys.

303Guy
03-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Welcome aboard, mookiie . You in the right place to get started right here.Keep browsing and asking and you'll be well on your way. Further down the road there is paper patching to have fun with, different alloys to experiment with (not a must, just broadens the spectrum). Start by keeping it simple. 45 ACP is probably the easiest to start with followed by 357/38 .

MtGun44
03-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Welcome! William's links are great things to read and learn from.

Actually, the claim that "couple of small drops can make your pot explode like 5
hand genades" is baloney.

If you take a WET wwt or boolit and drop it into a pot, and force the water UNDER
the surface of molten metal, you will get a large spatter "explosion" from the water
flashing to steam. This would be very bad. This is called 'getting a visit from the
tinsel fairy.' trying to put a lighter note on a very bad experience.

A drop on the top of the melt - does nothing exciting but sizzle.

Bill

mookiie
03-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Williamwaco, thanks for the links, I had already stumbled upon the first link and have been reading up! I am adding that manual to my wish list right now. I plan on reading up for at least 2 or 3 months before I actually start casting as my wife and I had our first child born 3-14, thinking money for equipment will be scarce these first few months! Thanks everyone else for the posts and keep them coming!

I would ask what it the most difficult task when first beginning so I have an area or two to do research on?

CML
03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
If your funds are tight and you'd like to borrow a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, you're welcome to mine. That book and this site is where I started, less than a year ago. It's been a great, fun experience and I have so much left to learn. Shoot me a PM if you want to borrow the book.

mookiie
03-17-2013, 12:10 PM
CML that is a really generous offer! Right now though I would not be able to get the hardware nesacary to get anything done with it, at least not until one of our cars is paid off in June. If I manage to get anything together sooner I may want to take you up on that offer. Thanks again Sir!

williamwaco
03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Lever action 30/30 will probably be my second favorite. I have a Winchester 94 levergun.

The .30-30 is my all time favorite cast bullet cartridge for rifles.

It is inexpensive, very easy to load, and you can load it from 800fps all the way up to full bore jacketed velocities.

Jim..47
03-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Welcome! William's links are great things to read and learn from.

Actually, the claim that "couple of small drops can make your pot explode like 5
hand genades" is baloney.

If you take a WET wwt or boolit and drop it into a pot, and force the water UNDER
the surface of molten metal, you will get a large spatter "explosion" from the water
flashing to steam. This would be very bad. This is called 'getting a visit from the
tinsel fairy.' trying to put a lighter note on a very bad experience.

A drop on the top of the melt - does nothing exciting but sizzle.

Bill

I didn't post that warning to scare him, just so he would be careful. But what I said is quite true, although I don't want an argument. If you live anywhere near S.E. lower Michigan I'll let you check out the ceiling in my barn where I cast. I also ruined a nice jacket, but glad I had it on and didn't burn my arm.

runfiverun
03-17-2013, 01:09 PM
you know if you put your location in your profile err avatar area there might just be someone right close to you.
it's generally easier to figure things out with a hands on experience, especially if you can draw on someone that has 20 or 30 years of experience.

mookiie
03-17-2013, 09:22 PM
This got me thinking what type of equipment should I be looking to get? I want a pot that has the valve on the bottom to poor it out easily. Obviously I need a bullet mold. Bullet lube and some kind of bullet sizing die - correct? Anything else besides protective gear?

mookiie
03-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Runfiverrun, I took your profile advice thanks!

454PB
03-17-2013, 09:28 PM
As has been said......read "ingot To Target", then read here until you're rummy, then decide how much you want to spend.

I recommend a newbie start cheap.....Lee Pro-4-20 bottom draw pot, a Lee mould or two, and some Lee sizing kits. If you later decide you're hooked for life, consider more expensive equipment. You can always sell the initial setup if you upgrade.

starreloader
03-17-2013, 09:36 PM
mookiie, PM coming to you... I'm not more than 5 miles from you.... Been pouring boolits and making ammunition for 35 years... Give me a holler if you want.

runfiverun
03-17-2013, 10:06 PM
nice......
that is what it is all about.

Buzz64
03-18-2013, 09:13 AM
I'd recommend you start trying to scrounge some lead now - ww and flashing are becoming scarce around here...get it when you can it will keep until you can afford the 'store-bought' equipment.

dverna
03-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Bottom pour pots can be "drip-o-matics" - at least some of the less expensive Lee's. Not sure why you are leaning that way but keep an open mind to ladle casting out of a regular pot.

Ebay prices are sometimes nuts - so keep on eye on the swapping and selling forum on this site. Lots of guys get rid of excess equipment or upgrading and you may save a few dollars. The Lee molds are cheap and sometimes need tweaking but they will make good boolits. If(when?) you get serious, there are some group buy molds that may interest you.

Buy good PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Safety glasses at a minimum or face shield. Welders gloves are great as is a welders apron. ALWAYS wear a long sleeve cotton shirt and long pants and good shoes/boots. I saw a guy casting in sandals once - DUHHHHHHH.

You will NOT save any money but you will get to shoot more, learn a lot, and take pride in shooting good groups or downing game with your own boolits.