PDA

View Full Version : Lee A-Lox is some tough stuff!!

supv26
03-16-2013, 08:28 PM
I don't know what that stuff is made out of but it sure is some tough stuff!! I had a handful of bullets that I had already lubed and when getting ready to load them I didn't like the looks of them. I decided to re-melt them and do them over and I'm sure glad I didn't put them in my new Lee smelter! I used an old one that I have had for a while and melted them down in it. The bullets would melt as normal lead but the Alox would float on top and would not burn! I figured out that if I put some wax in with the bullets before they melted the wax helped float the alox and I could just skim it off. It sure made a sticky mess with my skimmer spoon and a freaking mess in the melter. I used a little propane torch to melt that mess off the edges when I was finished.

runfiverun
03-16-2013, 09:10 PM
hmmm.
I wonder what it does when subjected to heat and pressure in a barell..

zuke
03-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Turn's into a really good lube

jmort
03-24-2013, 03:44 PM
^ Yes it do, especially as part of the 45-45-10

Mk42gunner
03-24-2013, 11:37 PM
One time I bought some lead from a salvage yard, included were about two gallons of boolits covered with a heavy coat of mule snot. Unfortunately, they didn't fit anything I had, so into the smelting pot they went. The LLA finally melted and floated to the top, forming a viscous black goo. It put out some very nasty fumes when it eventually caught fire.

Robert

JSAND
03-25-2013, 05:07 AM
I have never put it in my melting pot, but have thrown recycled boolits into the smelting pot, and yes it is very hardy. I just skim it with the fluxed material, I assumed it was the JPW that was producing the black residue, as that was kinda what it looked like back in the 80's when we were burning it to wax the barracks floors with.