PDA

View Full Version : How will the .45 S&W Shoot in my .45 Colt/.410 Bore Leniad derringer?

gunfan
03-16-2013, 08:16 PM
This title sums/poses the question. Is it worth buying some .45 S&W (a.k.a. .45 Schofield) to shoot in my Leniad Derringer? If it produces a slightly lighter ballisitic offering in my single shot, break-top revolver, would it be worth trying these load in my Leniad pistol?

Any intelligently phrased opinion would be appreciated.

Scott

Redd508
03-16-2013, 09:09 PM
It stands to reason that theres only one way to find out. You cant really gauge performance without filling in a few variables such as velocity and accuracy. Pressure shouldnt be an issue and accuracy less so than velocity. The derringer isnt a long range firearm so if velocity is enough for acceptable performance from your chosen boolit then you should be good to go.

Catshooter
03-16-2013, 10:12 PM
It is extremly difficult to give an intelligently phrased response to a question that isn't.

Using an unknow bullet over an unknown load out of some hypothetical firearm that will then be measured against some undefined standard of 'shooting well'.

Possibly these various parameters were all being weighed and discussed in your head but the disscusion failed to make it to the post. I guess just a 'how well will a gun shoot' would be more vauge and less helpful, but yikes man.

But we'll try to come up with something helpful, this is a good forum.

Cat

bob208
03-16-2013, 10:43 PM
about your gun no one knows. but in 1873 the army adopted the .45 colt. then in 1875 they had a trial run of .45 schofield pistols and their cartrages. they did not adopt the scholfield as a standard arm to replace the colt. but they did issue the .45 schofield cartrage for both the s&w and the colt.

this is how the misnamer of .45 long colt came about. the colt load was a 250gr. bullet over 40gr of 2f. the schofield was a load of around 28-30 gr 2f with a 230 gr bullet. with a shorter case.

so yes they will fit and fire in your colt chambering.

stubshaft
03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
It would depend on what type of accuracy you expect out of it. Shooting a 45 Colt out of my 45/410 Encore barrel gave me an average of 4" at 25yds, which to me is deplorable.

gunfan
03-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Thanks Bob and Stubshaft: This interests me due to the fact that the crude manufacture of the Leniad derringer may permit the thicker rim of the .45 S&W may fit that which handles the .410 bore shotgun shell. The "freebore" from the end of the .45 S&W cartridge to the 1/2" of rifling (such as it is) may cause "keyholing" (tumbling) of the .45 caliber slug. Obviously the optimal bullet fired in the little "belly gun" would be one of nearly 100% lead.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Scott

prs
03-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Scott, that free bore is there with the Colt cartridge too. You can hit a barn with it consistently if you go inside and close the doors before firing.

prs

Dale53
03-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Ed Harris has a good article on the .45 S&W on the Cast Bullet ***'n Forum that may help to answer your question:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=9351&forum_id=4

My opinion (worth about what it costs[smilie=1:), in the platform that you are using, it probably won't make a serious difference.

Dale53

Wayne Smith
03-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Dale, apparantly one must be a member to see the article.

Dale53
03-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Wayne;
You'll have to be a member to see the magazine article but the link I gave you should be available to anyone who registers at the web site forum (it's free, by the way).

If you are still having problems, send me a PM and I'll see about getting it to you. I am sure, tho', once you register at the forum, you'll have no problem reading it all (and a lot of other interesting stuff:-D).

Dale53