PDA

View Full Version : FFL trouble..anyone else?

TES
03-16-2013, 07:53 PM
So I applied for a class 06 FFL and sent in all of the necessary paper work ......in December. Then they ran my card on Jan 11th so they obviously got my application and about 5 calls later they can't find my paper work anywhere. YGBSM. :violin:

wv109323
03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Seven years ago I got my C&R license in 14 days. I renewed 5 years later and it took about 2 months to get the renewal. I know people that have applied for SRB (short barrel rifles) are waiting several months for their permits per AR-15.com.

nhrifle
03-16-2013, 08:11 PM
A couple of guys in my LGS have been waiting for over 6 months to get their tax stamp for suppressors. Meanwhile, they are out a few hundred dollars and the shop is sitting on a couple thousand dollars in stock they can't unload. From what I understand, most ATF approvals for NFA items are taking upwards of 6 months now. I can only imagine what the wait will be for those applying for licenses.

TES
03-16-2013, 08:49 PM
It s not the wait that is bad its the fact that they don't even know who I am and can't find my app.

bruce drake
03-16-2013, 09:00 PM
I move regularly for the Army and hold a 03FFL. Each time I've moved in the last few years, the amended FFL (Address change) has taken longer and longer. The last time it took 6 months and several calls to the ATF OMBUDSMAN to get the new FFL. My FFL expires in June and I'm debating on just letting it lapse.

BATFE Ombudsman Contact Information

U.S. Department of Justice
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Tech World, Suite 844
Washington, DC 20226

Telephone: (202) 927-3538

TES
03-16-2013, 10:18 PM
the thing that gets me the most is that I can do this legally on my own but the moment that I charge a buck I gotta spend thousands.

Boerrancher
03-17-2013, 06:54 AM
the thing that gets me the most is that I can do this legally on my own but the moment that I charge a buck I gotta spend thousands.

Then do it legally on your own and do it for barter. Don't charge money. Exchange your goods or services for other goods and services. I knew a fella that traded in guns and ammo for years, never had an FFL, He even had a store front that was advertised as a bait and tackle shop. Did more gun business than bait business, but he never sold a gun or a box of ammo. Of course that was 20 some years ago, before the gov really started going out of there way to eliminate guns.

Best wishes,

Joe

William Yanda
03-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Then do it legally on your own and do it for barter. Don't charge money. Exchange your goods or services for other goods and services. I knew a fella that traded in guns and ammo for years, never had an FFL, He even had a store front that was advertised as a bait and tackle shop. Did more gun business than bait business, but he never sold a gun or a box of ammo. Of course that was 20 some years ago, before the gov really started going out of there way to eliminate guns.

Best wishes,

Joe
Joe, are you actually advising someone here to opt out of the economy? I'm shocked!

Boerrancher
03-17-2013, 07:03 AM
It is not opting out of the economy. It is opting out of using those green paper bands that the gov keeps wrapped around everyone's minds. What I propose is true economic recovery!

best wishes,

Joe

41 mag fan
03-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Amen to that Joe...And I'll add the 1st Amendment to it...resist gov't stupidity at any extreme, no gov't law shall infringe the honest, better common sense judgement of the people.

Doc Highwall
03-17-2013, 12:58 PM
If you are getting a Tax stamp for the first time it takes longer, your second one is faster depending on how long it has been since you last applied for one.

Adam10mm
03-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Then do it legally on your own and do it for barter. Don't charge money. Exchange your goods or services for other goods and services.
That is called receiving consideration for goods and services and is just the same as "selling" in legal terms. If you receive consideration for ammunition or components that you manufacture and sell (receive consideration) it, you need an 06 FFL, register with ITAR, etc. There is no way around it. Doing what you advise above is illegal.

Down South
03-17-2013, 06:02 PM
I move regularly for the Army and hold a 03FFL. Each time I've moved in the last few years, the amended FFL (Address change) has taken longer and longer. The last time it took 6 months and several calls to the ATF OMBUDSMAN to get the new FFL. My FFL expires in June and I'm debating on just letting it lapse.

I had an FFL years ago, back in the 70's. The price was cheap but I had to have a store name thus "Sam's Gun Shop" came to life. Actually, the only reason I had the FFL was so that I could order guns for my buddies and myself.
They "ATF" decided that there were too many of us little guys out there with a FFL. So they raised the price of renewing about 10X. It worked. I dropped my FFL because I could not come out.

Getting back to the topic. I also hear that anything that involves the ATF is taking much longer now to get through.
Good luck, If they can't find your paperwork, as bad as I hate to say it, you might have to submit everything again.

TES
03-17-2013, 10:45 PM
yea exactly what I was thinking....no compensation at all..or its compensation. Your buddy could go to jail for along time.

Boerrancher
03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
yea exactly what I was thinking....no compensation at all..or its compensation. Your buddy could go to jail for along time.

Well for them to arrest him they would have to dig him up. I am sure in his current state he would be very cooperative and not resist.

Best wishes,

Joe

TES
03-18-2013, 10:44 AM
sorry to hear that Joe.

km101
03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
It's the current administration's method of holding down the number of FFL's. They think that slowing the processing will cause us to get discouraged and give up. But it's not gonna' work! :)

Adam10mm
03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
I think it's more of people wanting to enter the industry as gun dealers and ammo makers. I've seen a big jump in the number of new FFLs the last 6 months.

TES
03-20-2013, 10:49 PM
well I spoke with the gal that handles Mt and she was out of the office.....seems we have things cleared up......looks promising.