PDA

View Full Version : Help with a bifold closet door

pmer
03-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I have a Oak finished 6 panel bifold closet door that is giving me a run for the money. Twice now is has fell, each time it fell the upper plastic keeper broke. It was a closet door kit from Menards and I used the hardware that came with it. Three other doors are working good, just this one.

It's in my 7 year old boys room, he says that he's not hanging from it. He knows how heavy it is and what would happen if he was under it so I doubt if he's the culprit.

The first time it fell I just bought a replacement hanger. It looks like they both broke in a similar way.

Bulldogger
03-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Look in the custom fastener drawers at Ace or Lowes for metal versions of those keeper/hangers. That might do.
Bulldogger

TCoggins
03-16-2013, 04:25 PM
When I hang bifold doors, I like to use Johnson Hardware series 1700 hardware. Don't know if that is an option for you. Google johnson hardware and they have a pretty good website.

Good luck.

Tim

41 mag fan
03-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Sounds like the typical things you get when you buy from Menards...cheap.
We bought our counter and countertops there 3 yrs ago. So far we've had to replace the bar countertop twice. It's bowed each time, after about 6 months of being installed.
This is the 3rd one and it's started bowing to, but slowly this time.
There's some things you can get from Menards that's woorthwhile, then theres other things that are not worth buying due to being cheap

pmer
03-16-2013, 05:41 PM
I went the their website and these items look to be the same as what I have. But maybe these are of a better quality. The Positive Pivot Lock, the part on top that holds the wieght, is what gave out. Then the pivot bracket on the bottom bent sideways as the door was falling.

The Johnson Hardware Guarantee

Johnson Hardware will replace any item found defective in material or workmanship.

POSITIVE PIVOT LOCK

Door panels are locked firmly in place with Johnson's 1710 quick release top pivot lock. Door pairs can easily be removed or installed with a flick of a clip.

SHOCK ABSORBING HINGES

Only one of its kind, spring dampened panel hinge helps prevent the shock of fast opening or closing panels. Spring pressure 'pops' door panels into the closed position keeping panels positively shut, no more partially opened bi-fold doors. Hinge fingers automatically align doors and panel spacing.

ADJUSTABLE BOTTOM PIVOT BRACKET

Bottom pivot bracket adjust up, down left and right and provide automatic jamb alignment. Bottom pivot snaps in or out for easy installation or removal. Jamb mounting allows for floor material to be laid after door installation.

Charley
03-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Some bifolds are prone to breakage, depending on use. Would either have a sliding door, or do some framing and get a prehung swinging door.

TCoggins
03-16-2013, 06:12 PM
I know you mentioned that you have similar doors that are not having this issue, but what do the doors weigh. If you are approaching the max load for this hardware, you may need to bump up to the next size hardware. Might be worth contacting Johnson Hardware.

Tim

pmer
03-16-2013, 07:47 PM
They are 2 bifolds for a 72" opening 36 inches a piece. It looks like the hinges got sprung the last time it fell and a short section of laminate on the side that faces the room came loose too.

I'll have to get with Johnson Hardware or look some stronger stuff localy.

Alvarez Kelly
03-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Another vote for Johnson hardware here. I remodel houses and apartments for a living. The Johnson stuff is not the cheapest, but it will last, especially when used in your own home. Now tenants... they can destroy anything...

dakotashooter2
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Some things should NOT be made of plastic............................I wish manufacturers would figure that out...............

SlippShodd
03-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Now tenants... they can destroy anything...

How many tenants does it take to change a light bulb?
None, they'd rather sit in the dark and bitch about it. :wink:

We work with a couple of property management companies and have gotten work orders to go out and replace light bulbs. I'll cut 'em some slack if there's an infirimity or vaulted ceiling involved. Usually it's neither.

mike

Alvarez Kelly
03-17-2013, 12:17 PM

We work with a couple of property management companies and have gotten work orders to go out and replace light bulbs. I'll cut 'em some slack if there's an infirimity or vaulted ceiling involved. Usually it's neither.

mike

I can only say, "Wow, but I am not the least surprised."

I could tell you some whoppers... Like calling ME, instead of 911 or the fire department when their house was on fire!

SlippShodd
03-17-2013, 10:44 PM
I could tell you some whoppers... Like calling ME, instead of 911 or the fire department when their house was on fire!

[smilie=l:
We got in to a gated retirement community (once somebody in there finds people they trust to do their work, word spreads like wildfire) and acquired a couple of elderly single women-folk customers. At least twice last winter they called us when their smoke alarms were going off. First question: "Are you on fire?" No? Okay. Grab a pack of 9-volt batteries and head on out there... I don't even charge them for those kind of calls. :)

mike
apologies to the OP for the thread hijack... for the record, I think bifold doors are a communist plot.

Silver Eagle
03-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Make absolutely sure the door is plumb. Also, carefully adjust the straighteners or aligners to ensure plumb.
Also, any extra items hanging on a door that heavy are a big no-no. If you have carpeted floors and closet check to see if there is a bit of clearance. Any extra stress will cause it to fail. I had to replace the bottom board in my son's room after he forced his closed. It was definitely not a heavy door.

dakotashooter2
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
They just don't want to pay the $1 for a lightbulb. They will have no problem taking them out and taking them with them when they leave....................

mike

psychicrhino
03-19-2013, 06:15 PM
One word....."curtain".