PDA

View Full Version : CZ 82 too good a deal to pass

roots911
03-16-2013, 02:49 PM
So I was browsing at an off the beaten path gun store on Friday and saw a CZ 82 that had a lot of chipped finish but the bore is perfect and there doesn't seem to be much wear on the rails. Well it followed me home for the meager price of $135 including a 50 rnd box of norinco ammo. Seems it was part of an estate and came with the box and owners manual. I tore it down and cleaned out the old oil & crud. Nice touch is the small import marking on the bottom of the slide instead of a billboard on the side of the slide. Bad part is it only has one magazine. Now I have to get it to the range and if it shoots as well as I expect - then a tear down and refinish will be in order. I may blue it and add wood grips. Of course I now have to get dies and a mold. Never expected to find a deal like this considering the current attitudes and conditions.642396424064241

Ben
03-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Nice pistol.

Some good deals are still out there, just seems that they are getting harder and harder to find.

Ben

Jeff Michel
03-16-2013, 04:26 PM
You are going to love that pistol. Mines a real shooter.

John in WI
03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Excellent find! I love mine. Got it well used from J and G sales, refinished it with a home parkerizing job, and now it rides as my CCW carry piece. I have fired a lot of handguns, and have yet to fire one with a nicer trigger than the CZ-82!

You might consider a set of Wolff springs. I find the 9x18 recoil to be a little "sharp" on my hands but the heftier recoil spring took care of that.

Redd508
03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Thats a great deal. You should be happy with your find. If the finish bothers you i've seen some that cleaned up pretty nice with the baked on finishes.

gunfan
03-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Enjoy your new (to you) pistol. You man want to consider a Cerakote finish to protect the pistol. If that isn't adequate, there are other options.

Scott

nitrohuck
03-17-2013, 01:25 AM
Great buy!

I got mine from SOG and love it, shoots cast like a dream and cleans up easy. It is my CCW, using either LRN or JHP's but from what I've heard the JHP's don't expand anyway, so lead may be best as is.

Uncle Grinch
03-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Got one myself some time ago and gradually picked up dies and brass. My only problem is the plastic grips are a bad fit and interfer with the mag causing it to fail to drop.

Hard to find replacements that are a decent price.

nitrohuck
03-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Got one myself some time ago and gradually picked up dies and brass. My only problem is the plastic grips are a bad fit and interfer with the mag causing it to fail to drop.

Hard to find replacements that are a decent price.

With casting my own boolits for my cz, and using trimmed 9mm brass, I can officially say that shooting 9x18 Mak is cheaper than shooting .22lr

TheGrimReaper
03-17-2013, 04:42 PM
No experience with the 82, but I do know I want one!

roots911
03-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the replies/comments. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but in talking with other owners I know I will love it. I do want to find another magazine but have not had much luck. Can't wait to start working up some loads.

dougader
03-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Man, what a deal on such a neat pistol!

rintinglen
03-17-2013, 10:52 PM
I've got the 380 version, IIRC--M83, if your 9MM is half the gun that mine is, you will be very happy with yours. It is not the most compact gun going, but boy does it shoot well. And if 11 380 rounds don't win the fight, I still expect to win the following fisticuffs. They are bigger than the tiny 380's, but so what? They are so much easier to shoot well, it is well worth the tradeoff in size.

TCLouis
03-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Smokin deal on the pistol.

The CZ-82 fits my hand better than any pistol or revolver I have ever held.

Shoot where ya point em too.

Cheaper thn Dirt used to have the best ammo prices. I stuck to FMJ as the HPs did not open up even with water and with that cartridge I thought penetration was needed more than expansion. 12 rounds in the magazine so one could handle multiple social issues if need be.

Extra Mag is gonna be a bit pricey

Wayne Smith
03-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Get the Lee 9Mak trimmer rod, the three jaw chuck, and the cutter on the wooden ball. Chuck the chuck in your drill motor, grab a bag of 9mm cases, and make yourself a bunch of 9Mak cases. You will loose them! It is a great gun, fits well, and isn't too heavy to carry. I like mine much better than my Makarov's.

roots911
03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Well I took it to the range today and it is accurate and fun to shoot. Will not post targets in order to save embarrassment-suffice it to say that pistols are not my strong point. One small issue is that the safety hangs below the beavertail on the left side and bites the knuckle on the thumb. The edge is sharp. Easy fix with removal and a little dressing with a file. I do like the weapon and look forward to working with it and improving my skills. Now to find more ammo!

nitrohuck
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Well I took it to the range today and it is accurate and fun to shoot. Will not post targets in order to save embarrassment-suffice it to say that pistols are not my strong point. One small issue is that the safety hangs below the beavertail on the left side and bites the knuckle on the thumb. The edge is sharp. Easy fix with removal and a little dressing with a file. I do like the weapon and look forward to working with it and improving my skills. Now to find more ammo!

Glad to hear you like it! An awesome pistol to say the least

I would recommend casting and reloading, given that the last box of brass cased ammo at my store was $36 for 50rnds, it definitely pays very quickly to reload, at least for me.

Combat Diver
03-27-2013, 02:27 PM
I got a CZ83 that I picked up in Germany in 89'. Still runs great. Got the .380 verison as ATF wouldn't approve an importation license (form 6) back then and considered them war surplus (they also disapproved my 1939 P08 Luger). The cz82 replaced the cz52 in the Czechoslovakian Army.

CD

roots911
03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes, I cast and handload for all my rifles and other handguns and the stuff is on the way to do 9x18 also. No other way to afford shooting anything given todays insanity! The only cost is the primer and few grains of Red Dot or Clays. Lead is from free wheel weights so cost is less than 22 lr at pre insanity prices!

TNFrank
04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
I had a CZ83 back in '98 or '99, ended up selling it and missed it ever since. Recently got back into a CZ82 in 9x18mm and it shoots like a champ. CZ still has stock, black plastic grips for $19 bucks, Graf & Sons has dies and the Lee trimmer parts(but there's a 3-4 week backlog on shipping) and I found 9x19mm brass at K-Bar for $35/1000 + shipping so I'll convert it to 9x18mm and be good to go.
Midway USA is suppose to have the 95gr Lee mold for 9x18mm Mak in stock today, if they get em' in I'll order one. I guess as long as you stay with hard cast the poly rifling isn't an issue and since Berry's isn't making any plated bullets at this time casting is my only option to reload with. Congrats on the "new" pistol, I'm sure you'll love it. I really love mine.

roots911
04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
TNFrank,
Received my Lee mold and case trimmer for the CZ last week. Waiting for the die set from Graffs. They have it but the shipping backlog is 3 weeks min. In the meantime I cast up 500 boolets from water dropped COWW and will get them sized and lubed this week. Now all I need is the die set! Also have a good stock of 9x19 that I will convert. Do like shooting this pistol a lot. / aw Wolf ammo on the web today for $49.95/box of 50!! That is just plain nuts.

timspawn
04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
I have several of them. I am shooting trimmed down 9x19 brass with Hornady XTP bullets over 3 grains of W231. It is quite snappy. Great little pistols.