PDA

View Full Version : Traditions .50 cal percussion is there a lock I can use to change it to a flintlock?

Texantothecore
03-16-2013, 01:36 PM
I have a really nice Traditions .50 caliber Hawken percussion rifle that is extremely accurate and I would like to switch it over to a rocklock. The factory says they won't do it (or perhaps it can't be done) but I am hoping someone here has some insight into how this could be accomplished.

Thanks,

TTTC

mountainman
03-25-2013, 02:30 AM
I'd like to know that also. I just picked up a traditions 50 cal. percussion and would really like to have a flint lock.

Lead Fred
03-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Head over here:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php

If some one says there are no good store bought MLs, and build a real one, it wasnt me.

I would have said, dont waste your money, and buy another rifle, made to be a flinchlock.

A good lock on a crappy gun, will make the crappy gun better, A cheap lock will only make misery.

If your lock does not say L&R, or Chambers on it, its not worth owning.

OverMax
03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
I know first hand it can be done with a Thompson Center Hawken's model. If one starts out with a flint-lock stock to begin with. The two different locks and barrels will indeed interchange without stock alterations. But to start out with a T/C cap-lock stock one would have to open that cap-locks mortise just a little to accommodate the T/C flint-lock. There lies the reason why Tradition arms probably said no can do: As your rifle is in deed a cap-lock stocked rifle. Which more than likely would require some small alterations to its mortise before-hand.

OverMax
03-25-2013, 09:10 AM
After a little thought on this last post of mine. I know the two T/C barrels are fully interchangeable regardless of Hawken stock design. I just realize I probably could have gotten by with changing its hammer & barrel only. As both lock plates are identical in their mechanisms seen on there back sides. You may want to check out OP. Quite possible a barrel and simple hammer change is all that may be needed to accomplish the task on your Traditions.

Texantothecore
03-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I had thought that it could be done as I know it often went from flintlock to percussion and apparently a lot of the older guns started their lives as flintlocks and were switched over after the percussion lock was invented.

I am going to look into it further as the flintlocks have really become expensive of late.

The percussion was my first gun and I was astonished at the accuracy (three shots touching at 100 yards) particular after you figured out consisent patching and lubing practices and I would love to be able switch it over.

KCSO
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Not on the Traditions because of the way the breech is designed. You would need to change the breech plug and probably shorten the barrel. Add to this the cost of a GOOD lock and you have the makings of another gun. Better to trade it off and get a flintlock. As to locks I have used several makes and have made my own from kits and restored original locks and you need a quality lock from someone who knows flinters. I have had good luck with reworked Silers and Doc Carlson's casting kits.

bubba.50
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
if yer traditions has a drum screwed into the side of the barrel for the nipple & if ya can find a good rocklock that fits yer inlettin' you can screw the drum out, install a touch-hole liner in it's place, replace the caplock with the flint one & have a flintlock. whether a traditions is worth all this or not is up to you. like others have said, probably better to just buy another gun.