PDA

View Full Version : .4565 bore????????

seekersoftheredmist
03-16-2013, 01:49 AM
I have a 1885 Highwall Uberti in 45-70 that i slugged today and it has a bore diameter of .4565. would a .460 bullet be too big for this? recommendations?

badbob454
03-16-2013, 02:08 AM
i would shoot it , but watch for pressure signs and start at lower powder starting points.. and work your way up , i shoot a .314 in a .312 sks no problems ..

MikeS
03-16-2013, 09:37 AM
I have an old original rolling block (made in 1887) that has the same size bore, and I've shot boolits that were .458 with no problems, as well as the Lee .459 405gr HB boolit as cast at .460 without any problems. I cast them from range scrap that was around 10 - 11 BHN, and was loading with black powder, but even if you load with smokeless I can't see where it would be a problem, just start with a lighter load and work your way up (if using smokeless), or if shooting black powder, just fill the case to slightly higher than where the boolit would fit in the case with FFg, and compress the powder slightly.

dubber123
03-16-2013, 12:38 PM
I've never noticed anything resembling an increase in pressure related to increasing boolit diameter. With the many thousands of pounds of pressure involved, I don't think a firearm notices a few thousandths of an inch when swaging down a lead based slug.

I will play with sizes, but I generally go for as large a diameter that will chamber freely. I shoot .462" diameter in my Marlin 45-70, and I doubt highly the bore measures that big.. :) The bigger boolit shoots best, I am assuming by being more centered in the chamber at the moment of firing.

Texantothecore
03-16-2013, 01:24 PM
My H&R Buffalo Classic measures .4564 and is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot.

Most likely you have a rifle that is as accurate as mine. I have put 10 rounds through the same hole at 100 yards with it. With peep sights.

See how it shoots and then take action. I know you will be pleased.

Don McDowell
03-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I have a 1885 Highwall Uberti in 45-70 that i slugged today and it has a bore diameter of .4565. would a .460 bullet be too big for this? recommendations?

Fisrt thing you'll need to see if the chamber is cut big enough to take a .460 bullet seated in the case. Then you'll have to shoot a few to see if the excess diameter is causing finning of the base and getting you some accuracy and possibly leading problems. If everything works then you're good to go, but I would think that .458 would be a better place to start with the diameter.

Chill Wills
03-16-2013, 03:48 PM
I think Don is exactly right. You can not do much (easily) about a miss-matched chamber/barrel. What metal from the front of the chamber is removed is removed.

Who knows, you might have a tight chamber too, which would be a happy problem. However, I would bet the chamber will run loose.

The point I would make is that you can work with some of this by adjusting your bullet diameter larger and alloy going from soft to hard. Often there is a best case combination. Contrary to often repeated rule of thumb, smokeless powders can produce obturation. In other words, the base of the undersized bullet, no mater .456" , .458", or .460" will enlarge to the size of the chamber minis the case walls before entering the throat of the barrel. This can be good or bad. Using a large enough bullet is a good idea.
-Good shooting.

seekersoftheredmist
03-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Thanks for all the help fellers! looking forward to shooting Black powder this summer. so far ive only shot smokeless in it. I have a friend that is a seasoned black powder shooter that has helped a great deal and is prodding me on to the Black. Ive shot for years but ive had more fun with this Highwall than i can remember. This sight is a huge help in fueling my addiction! lol. Thanks again fellers!

Texantothecore
03-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the help fellers! looking forward to shooting Black powder this summer. so far ive only shot smokeless in it. I have a friend that is a seasoned black powder shooter that has helped a great deal and is prodding me on to the Black. Ive shot for years but ive had more fun with this Highwall than i can remember. This sight is a huge help in fueling my addiction! lol. Thanks again fellers!

Just wait until you shoot your black powder loads. You'll want to stand up and cheer for God and Country.