PDA

View Full Version : No Boolits harmed SKS vs 223.

.5mv^2
03-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Tonight we got out a bolt action 223 and an SKS. Shooting at a gong.

Were shooting at a steel target at about 75 yrds. The first gun up was a Savage bolt gun in 223. It hit the target shooting both Wolf and some 40 grain double hollow point loads. The gun has a Simmons scope and could hit the gong at will. It was a piece of I beam at 40 deg angle.

After we ran out of bullets we got out a trusty SKS. It hit every thing the scoped rifle did and left a huge spall in the steel target. Not just the dimple that the 223 did. I am not sure why the feds want to prohibit the 223, even a simple 30 cal semi auto rifle is able to overwelhm it . Oh having a pistol grip makes me want to do something antisocal Not.....

From what I have read it is not the guns that kill people it is the anti depressants .

nhrifle
03-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Anti depressants prescribed after the patient realizes they have fully accepted the liberal mind set

GabbyM
03-16-2013, 12:30 AM
As for 30 cal VS 22 cal. It’s about ammo weight and long range capability. 100 yards is pistol range. I can hit milk jugs at 100 yards with my revolvers. Put an AR-15/ M-16 up against any AK of any caliber or any 7.62 x 39mm at the 600 yard line of a high power match and see how the Commie round does.

US Army could have all the money they wanted to fly 7.62mm out to M14 armed soldiers in Vietnam. Reality was if you ran out of ammo the helicopter was on the way. Not five foot away. 7.62 x 39mm is the worst of both worlds. About as heavy as a 7.62 NATO but no reach beyond 350 yards. Just a *** round all the way. US Army has a new bullet for there M4. Should work but they seriously need to put a barrel back on the gun to bring it back to a carbine rifle as opposed to a machine pistol. *****

To all the couch potato 30 caliber fans. Please load up 300 rounds of 30 cal then go out to walk ten miles. Next day load up 300 rounds of M193 and repeat the route. You’ll then know why the load out for the M14 was 80 rounds.

GabbyM
03-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Anti depressants prescribed after the patient realizes they have fully accepted the liberal mind set

Tpper Gore closed down mental hospitals in the USA. Tens of thousnads of those former patients died within a year of hitting the streets. We still have a large homless population from that decition. Go read the North Korean / China propaganda pages then it's more clear why Tipper did this.

Secondly people who should have been institutionalized are on the streets hurting people. Just another intended result. Our enemy isn’t stupid.

Speedo66
03-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Tonight we got out a bolt action 223 and an SKS. Shooting at a gong.

Were shooting at a steel target at about 75 yrds. The first gun up was a Savage bolt gun in 223. It hit the target shooting both Wolf and some 40 grain double hollow point loads. The gun has a Simmons scope and could hit the gong at will. It was a piece of I beam at 40 deg angle.

After we ran out of bullets we got out a trusty SKS. It hit every thing the scoped rifle did and left a huge spall in the steel target. Not just the dimple that the 223 did. I am not sure why the feds want to prohibit the 223, even a simple 30 cal semi auto rifle is able to overwelhm it . Oh having a pistol grip makes me want to do something antisocal Not.....

From what I have read it is not the guns that kill people it is the anti depressants .

SKS rounds pre-ban steel core? No, not real AP, but it will put a hurt on mild steel.

.5mv^2
03-16-2013, 08:55 PM
I was shooting Yugo military. I have never put a magnet to them but the spall was welded onto the angled plate. It was copper colored and had a lead coating. The cases are brass, unfortunately berdan primed.

nhrifle
03-17-2013, 12:40 AM
One of our members did some pretty impressive experimenting on reloading berdan cases with boxer primers. Might want to check it out rather than throw out all that good brass.

Multigunner
03-17-2013, 04:15 AM
One of our members did some pretty impressive experimenting on reloading berdan cases with boxer primers. Might want to check it out rather than throw out all that good brass.

Should ammo and store bought primers become hard to get, the berdan primer cups are much easier to manufacture using the simplest tools, no need for the tiny precisely made anvil. Berdan cases might then be sought out for reloading.

perotter
03-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Should ammo and store bought primers become hard to get, the berdan primer cups are much easier to manufacture using the simplest tools, no need for the tiny precisely made anvil. Berdan cases might then be sought out for reloading.

And that is why I don't convert mine to Boxer.

perotter
03-18-2013, 08:26 PM
At 75 yards a normal vel .223 bullet is going to fast for the steel/concrete block test. So is 7.62x51. The 5.56 needs to be more like 200 yards from the target. There is a US Army FM that gives this info.